PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bryant

There is no cap hit if Bryant doesn't make the 53. Essentially they gave him the tender to be a camp body and with them taking 3 CBs in the draft they clearly have him on the bubble. Bryant gonna have to grow some height and speed before camp

I know there is no "cap hit" if they cut him between now and cut-downs. I just would have preferred to move on from him and actually use the money elsewhere.

Byrant is a smart player who knows where he is supposed to be and recognizes what the offense is trying to do - that is why they like to play him. However, his lack of athleticism is a huge liability. If the Patriots can get somebody to push him off the roster, that would be ideal. I don't expect that to happen, both of the corners they took are fairly raw project types - they probably will never see time on the defense unless there are huge injuries.

Deion did say Bolden should have been drafted much higher. Hope he’s right

Deion said Bolden is "a walking NFL paycheck." I think, by League rule, that means we can't cut him. So there's that.

Hopefully one of the young guys can beat Bryant out, I mean, that's gotta be the goal. His versatility and ST's play will need to be replaced, but I think we have guys with that potential now. I'm not even a Bryant hater, good on him for carving out a NFL career as a slow, undersized DB.

I agree Wade is a headscratcher as well.. He'll be the first one to go as he doesn't play ST.

Byrant is a smart player who knows where he is supposed to be and recognizes what the offense is trying to do - that is why they like to play him. However, his lack of athleticism is a huge liability. If the Patriots can get somebody to push him off the roster, that would be ideal. I don't expect that to happen, both of the corners they took are fairly raw project types - they probably will never see time on the defense unless there are huge injuries.
Not sure what is better…Bryant with his “lack of athleticism” or someone like Bolden who is more athletic and will learn the position. IMO it’s harder to teach athleticism.

Hopefully one of the young guys can beat Bryant out, I mean, that's gotta be the goal. His versatility and ST's play will need to be replaced, but I think we have guys with that potential now. I'm not even a Bryant hater, good on him for carving out a NFL career as a slow, undersized DB.

I agree Wade is a headscratcher as well.. He'll be the first one to go as he doesn't play ST.
It will need to be Bolden as Speed is a special teams guy masquerading as a CB.

It will need to be Bolden as Speed is a special teams guy masquerading as a CB.
So... you're saying there's a chance?

Sjsu Theres A Chance GIF by San Jose State Spartans

Bryant may very well be a smart player, however BB has in past situations benched players for not performing. Smart players seldom make the same mistakes over and over.. that will get you cut in the NFL however he was playing out of necessity last season. We have seemed To ad some depth at CB and I'd like either myles Bryant to play better and show he is worth a roster spot or allow one these rookies to take his playing time. They can't be any worse...

Not sure what is better…Bryant with his “lack of athleticism” or someone like Bolden who is more athletic and will learn the position. IMO it’s harder to teach athleticism.
As Al Davis said, “you can’t teach speed”, or any other athleticism for that matter.

IMO the problem is the big drop off going to Bryant when their is an injury. I'd prefer to have someone else in the mix that doesn't cause such a big drop off.
I agree that there shouldn't be a huge drop when there are injuries and we bring in Bryant.

Bryant was deemed good enough for lots of reps BECAUSE he was better than the alternatives.

If out top 4 this year are Gonzales and the 3 Jones boys, then the OPEN question is the 5th and 6th corner spots.
All of us would like to see ANYONE in place of Bryant and Wade in those roles. And hopefully those folks are our untested late round draft choices. And more importantly, we need our top corners to stay healthy.

Bryant is one of those players that is always one good draft pick away from being cut, but isn't nearly as bad as people say. He played 65% of the defensive snaps last year. If he was the automatic target/completion that people claim he is, the defense would have finished bottom 5 against the pass last year.

Again, he's upgradeable, as all bottom of the chart CB's are, but if you look around the league you'll find they all have a Bryant as their 5th/6th guy. There just aren't 150 good corners in the league.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back