PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Will We Tender? Cajuste, Bryant

Agree

He shouldn't.
fair enough
Your analysis is that the other players like Wade are better choices. Clearly belichick disagrees.

To be clear, I'm 100% fine with us upgrading from Bryant and Wade.

The REALITY is that we should have 2 solid nickel backs, since that is our base defense.
==========================
WHO ARE OUR NICKEL BACKS?
Belichick seems to think that Bryant is serviceable as the #2 nickel back.
One poster suggested that we need to re-sign Jones AND one of our top draft picks for corners. Then we would have
Jones, MIlls, Jones, Jones, rookie.

Even then, we would likely keep a 6th: Bryant or Wade.

Will we tender Cajuste or Bryant? Do we have any other RFA's or ERFA's to make decisions on? I think that we have waived all the ERFA's.

OTC shows Ekuale as an ERFA, other as a UFA. We should try to re-sign him in any case.
==========
CAJUSTE
Could he be a competent backup. In that case, we should tender him or count on late draftee (or free agent) to contribute.

BRYANT
He competes with Wade for reps. He seems to be OK as our 5th or 6th corner. I expect us to bring him back. Tendering him at the lowest level should be enough.

Ekuale = YES. I liked what he did last year and we need some pressure from the interior/run stopping too.

Cajuste = I'd like to know why he fell out of favor after getting injured. Was McDermott that good? In any case, we can't ever have enough OL-men....especially tackles...so yes...tender him.

Bryant = YES. He is always available even if you don't want him chasing down the Isiah Mackenizes of the league...he's OK in zone and as a depth piece...especially if we cut Mills loose and do not resign Jonathan Jones. And I'd like to see Wade step it up...he's been here a while already....and he isn't usually on the 45 man game day roster despite injuries in the secondary.....

I think if the team can get Bryant/Cajuste at or near minimum with something like $50K guaranteed, they will be interested.

Anymore, and the Pats will move on to other development projects.

fair enough
Your analysis is that the other players like Wade are better choices. Clearly belichick disagrees.

The REALITY is that we should have 2 solid nickel backs, since that is our base defense.
One poster suggested that we need to re-sign Jones AND one of our top draft picks for corners. Then we would have

I didn't mention Wade or what I think about him.

I know people don’t like Bryant, but he successfully held off all challengers in the slot, most notably Marcus Jones, the guy everybody wants to assume is in that spot next season. Unless they’re very, very sold on Jones being ready next season despite seeing minimal game slot snaps, it seems like it’s worth it to keep Bryant around at the $2.6M knowing that they can cut him with no dead money if Jones does beat him out.

That said, the Patriots did move decisively to open up the RG spot for Onwenu a year ago despite his problems at LG and limited snaps at RG, so there is some precedent here (and Myles Bryant is no Shaq Mason).

I know people don’t like Bryant, but he successfully held off all challengers in the slot, most notably Marcus Jones, the guy everybody wants to assume is in that spot next season. Unless they’re very, very sold on Jones being ready next season despite seeing minimal game slot snaps, it seems like it’s worth it to keep Bryant around at the $2.6M knowing that they can cut him with no dead money if Jones does beat him out.

That said, the Patriots did move decisively to open up the RG spot for Onwenu a year ago despite his problems at LG and limited snaps at RG, so there is some precedent here (and Myles Bryant is no Shaq Mason).

Bryant did play a lot of snaps. They really need to upgrade that position.

You're right. He may receive right of first refusal.

A thread about JAG's ... interesting.

Cajuste is the only one with talent and can play regular downs... unfortunately his body is toast. He played a ton of snaps in college.

He'd be a camp body if they want to give him a shot, but I wouldn't expect too much.

Myles Bryant is a complete liability in coverage. Teams actively target him on third downs. Move on already...

fair enough

It's telling that myles away Bryant is or was competing with snaps with a guy in wade who's been MIA since we traded for him. Another mysterious transaction that has happened.. agreed he's no more than a depth option should be relegated to cover punts not fielding them.. he's actually quasi decent at depth safety..

Mitchell is a STer. It is a matter

I'll the question to you. We have a player who plays well on our DL as the #1 player of the bench, playing over 30% of the reps. Why do you think Roberts should be given that position without showing anything?

IMO, thinking that Mitchell is ready to replace Ekuale makes no sense to me. He is a STer (67% of the reps) and plays no defense.

DEFENSIVE LINE (Ekuale and Davis are free agents)
NT: Godchaux, Guy, Davis
DT: Barmore, Ekuale, Roberts
DE: Wise
ST: Mitchell

And Mitchell sucks on STs too: He should've made the tackle in Minnesota.

I didn't mention Wade or what I think about him.
Wade is what we have under contract. Bryant has consistently beat him out for reps. If Bryant goes, Wade will get more reps. It is a choice.

But, I agree. You didn't mention Wade.

A thread about JAG's ... interesting.
Many posters choose to ignore the bottom third of the roster, and also the decisions to be made in the next 3 weeks that don't involve starters..

Mitchell is a STer. It is a matter

I'll the question to you. We have a player who plays well on our DL as the #1 player of the bench, playing over 30% of the reps. Why do you think Roberts should be given that position without showing anything?

IMO, thinking that Mitchell is ready to replace Ekuale makes no sense to me. He is a STer (67% of the reps) and plays no defense.

DEFENSIVE LINE (Ekuale and Davis are free agents)
NT: Godchaux, Guy, Davis
DT: Barmore, Ekuale, Roberts
DE: Wise
ST: Mitchell

It "makes no sense to you" because you're ignoring the fact that Ekuale isn't getting any better than he already is while Mitchell and Roberts both CAN get better. You're also ignoring the fact that Ekuale only saw that many reps because Barmore was injured.
Guy is NOT a NT. He's a DT. Listing him otherwise is ridiculous.

If we tener at right of first refusal, Bryant shouldn't wait more than a day to sign for over $2M.

Bryant was the gift that kept on giving to other teams. Thinking that ANYONE would sign him for more than 2.627M is a joke.

Bryant was the gift that kept on giving to other teams. Thinking that ANYONE would sign him for more than 2.627M is a joke.

How much of the 2.6 has to be guaranteed?

As bad as Bryant was, he played 61 and 55% of defensive snaps the past two years , and 22% of special teams last one. That's a lot. It means we have no one better.

I think you have to make an effort to bring him back at little risk, in case you're stuck again. Otherwise, he will at least provide some kind of depth, so it's not a complete horror show.

How much of the 2.6 has to be guaranteed?

As bad as Bryant was, he played 61 and 55% of defensive snaps the past two years , and 22% of special teams last one. That's a lot. It means we have no one better.

I think you have to make an effort to bring him back at little risk, in case you're stuck again. Otherwise, he will at least provide some kind of depth, so it's not a complete horror show.

The money isn't "guaranteed" on RFA contracts, but they DO hit in their entirety. If the Pats place the 2.627M tender on him, that money goes against the cap immediately. If they pull the tender, they get the entire amount back. But Bryant isn't worth that. No other team is going to pay him that. Between the missed tackles, poor angles and blown coverages, he shouldn't be on the field EXCEPT for special teams. Even then, he could be easily upgraded by a rookie.

The money isn't "guaranteed" on RFA contracts, but they DO hit in their entirety. If the Pats place the 2.627M tender on him, that money goes against the cap immediately. If they pull the tender, they get the entire amount back. But Bryant isn't worth that. No other team is going to pay him that. Between the missed tackles, poor angles and blown coverages, he shouldn't be on the field EXCEPT for special teams. Even then, he could be easily upgraded by a rookie.

So they gave Mack Wilson 2.54 last year the same way.

Is Bryant much different? Probably more valuable.

So they gave Mack Wilson 2.54 last year the same way.

Is Bryant much different? Probably more valuable.
We'll agree to disagree there.

Opposing teams didn't target Mack Wilson and have a field day when he was on the field they way they did with Bryant. Opposing QBs had a 1014 rating against him. He gave up 4 receiving TDs.

Mack Wilson played on 62% of the Special teams snaps compared to 22% for Bryant. Wilson didn't work out as well as people hoped in terms of being the Coverage LB (Pats stuck with Big Nickle instead). But he still only gave up 1 TD and opposing QBs hit 7 of 14 passes against him. Definitely can be improved upon. Just like Bryant can be improved upon.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back