PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bryant

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
If we move Mills (or Jon Jones to FS, who are our 5-6 corners?

CB Gonzales, Jones/Mills, Jones, Jones
===================

I think that Bryant is a strong favorite to make the team as 5th or 6th corner. At very least, he is a backup NB and a backup PR.

Even if Mills or Jones aren't moved to safety, I suspect that Bryant makes the roster as our #6.
=========
I suppose that if we find another PR, Wade could be the 6th. I find that to be unlikely.
==============

They just added 2 late round DBs who have speed to burn. Why would they keep Bryant?
I'm fine if one of our late picks beat out Bryant as a backup PR and NB. Bryant has been our starting NB and certainly know the system.

So, sure if a late rounder shows that he is ready to step in and start if there is an injury, I would be very happy about that situation.
For now, I think that this would be unlikely.

I'm fine if one of our late picks beat out Bryant as a backup PR and NB. Bryant has been our starting NB and certainly know the system.

So, sure if a late rounder shows that he is ready to step in and start if there is an injury, I would be very happy about that situation.
For now, I think that this would be unlikely.
Bolden’s athleticism is off the charts, pretty sure he beats Bryant hands down in that area. He put up good numbers as a returner in college. And for the past three years he was coached by Deion Sanders. So he might have a good shot at taking Bryant’s roster slot.

Bolden’s athleticism is off the charts, pretty sure he beats Bryant hands down in that area. He put up good numbers as a returner in college. And for the past three years he was coached by Deion Sanders. So he might have a good shot at taking Bryant’s roster slot.

I certainly hope that he can make the 53. I suspect that Practice Squad is more likely, BTW, he was a kick returner and an outside corner. Bryant is a punt returner and a nickel back. Didn't Bryant start as our nickel for several games?

Interesting that Bolden is the opposite of Bryant in the measurables dept. We'll see whether or not that's a good thing or if we'll even get to see Bolden in defensive game action at all, but I'm hopeful.

Bryant vs Bolden
40: 4.62 (1.61) | 4.33 (1.54)
Height: 5'7.7" | 6'2.2"
Shut: 4.02 | 4.63 <--- bonkers
Cone: 6.81 <-------'
VJ: 31.1" | 38"
Broad: 9'7" | 10'9"
Arms: 29.5"| 32.75"

Last late round pick from Deion last year, James Houston, ended up being quite the steal.

Bryant seems like the odd man out. I've always seen him a guy who tried hard and and contributed despite his lack of physical skills. He's the guy who get to the right place then can't make the play on the ball. I can sympathize because when I was made a S, that was MY problem.
He was not big enough to work on the outside, and not quick enough to work in the slot. He was a better "football player" than he was an athlete (that's relatively speaking of course) Now that Gonzales is here, it is likely that JJones goes back to the slot and depending on how it goes in TC we will see how the CB situation works out,

I believe they will give Peppers, Bledsoe, etc a shot at winning the FA role. Mills, Gonzales, and Jack Jones would be a nice 3 man outside CB rotation, with JJones and MJones in the slot. Wade, Speed, and Bolden will vie for the depth roles. You really need a LOT of CB's over a 17+ game season. So if you think you are in good shape because your starters are good, then you are in a world of disappointment.

Bolden's straight line speed size and explosiveness make me kind of want to see him groomed for the FS position. Of course a LOT of the FS's role is dependant on how quickly he can mentally process the action once the ball is snapped. We don't know anything about THIS part of Bolden's game.

They just added 2 late round DBs who have speed to burn. Why would they keep Bryant?
Because as bad as Bryant is right now, he’s much better than Speed & Bolden.

In the end, Bryant isn’t as horrendous as some posters think. Because of circumstances, he’s been put in tough spots and hasn’t come out ahead. He is what he is. A backup / spot starter that clearly knows the scheme well enough to play when injuries occur.

He never was going to be Gilmore, Revis, Law. You guys continuously pounding on this guy is akin to ripping the off-key teenager who shouldn’t be on the American Idol stage or an intellectually challenged child being yelled at because he can’t understand algebra…

I certainly hope that he can make the 53. I suspect that Practice Squad is more likely, BTW, he was a kick returner and an outside corner. Bryant is a punt returner and a nickel back. Didn't Bryant start as our nickel for several games?

Bryant sucks as a nickel back, a corner back and a safety. He's mediocre as a punt returner. Whenever he's on the field, the opposing team is licking their lips and targeting him. It's still mindboggling that the Pats wasted an RFA tender on the guy.

Bryant sucks as a nickel back, a corner back and a safety. He's mediocre as a punt returner. Whenever he's on the field, the opposing team is licking their lips and targeting him. It's still mindboggling that the Pats wasted an RFA tender on the guy.
He was doing well as a punt returner but then I think he muffed one or made a dumb decision back there....not sure. He's a disaster on defense.

Bryant will (hopefully) be the player moving back/forth from the practice squad as situations warrant. A Harvey Langi role for DB's.

If Bryant is in the mix early, it's because of injuries or failure.

Bryant will (hopefully) be the player moving back/forth from the practice squad as situations warrant. A Harvey Langi role for DB's.

If Bryant is in the mix early, it's because of injuries or failure.
IMO the problem is the big drop off going to Bryant when their is an injury. I'd prefer to have someone else in the mix that doesn't cause such a big drop off.

IMO the problem is the big drop off going to Bryant when their is an injury. I'd prefer to have someone else in the mix that doesn't cause such a big drop off.

I think he's a league average 6th corner. That's why there are so many points scored by great offenses.

Of course, you would want an upgrade, but he's not a disaster like the corners before Revis.

I think he's a league average 6th corner. That's why there are so many points scored by great offenses.

Of course, you would want an upgrade, but he's not a disaster like the corners before Revis.
I agree fully with what you’re saying, but the fatigue factor is strong with Myles of Space. I know that I cuss a great deal less when Myles is not out there.

I agree fully with what you’re saying, but the fatigue factor is strong with Myles of Space. I know that I cuss a great deal less when Myles is not out there.

The secondary seems pretty simple to me.

Jones 3X
Gonzalez
Millis
Dugger
Philips
Peppers

seem like locks. Is there disagreement? Schooler is special teams so that makes nine.

Two more tops. I think the preference is to keep the two draft choices leaving Bledsoe and Bryant on the outside.

But injuries and other stuff happens.

I would love to see the team move on from Bryant but would settle for the Pats using him as depth only playing him if there are injuries.

He spent too much time last season as the primary slot corner. With more depth this year hopefully he won’t need to play at all he can be a back up.

The secondary seems pretty simple to me.

Jones 3X
Gonzalez
Millis
Dugger
Philips
Peppers

seem like locks. Is there disagreement? Schooler is special teams so that makes nine.

Two more tops. I think the preference is to keep the two draft choices leaving Bledsoe and Bryant on the outside.

But injuries and other stuff happens.
I've got Wade making the 53 but I admit he hasn't done jack squat yet.

CB (6) C.Gonzalez, Ja.Jones, Jo.Jones, M.Jones, S.Wade, I.Bolden
SS (2) K.Dugger, A.Phillips
FS (3) J.Mills, J.Peppers, B.Schooler

that the Pats wasted an RFA tender on the guy.
There is no cap hit if Bryant doesn't make the 53. Essentially they gave him the tender to be a camp body and with them taking 3 CBs in the draft they clearly have him on the bubble. Bryant gonna have to grow some height and speed before camp

Fu6VOopXsAErcUo
Fs1Bo6PWcAE-31d

Myles-Bryant-RAS-20224.png

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST