PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agent Wishlist

PowerRunRevival

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score

Love the mention of spending cash!

Seeing this quote I wanted to start a free agency thread where people can post who they want to target with the cash they are going to spend.

I’d like to see them retain Onwenu, Dugger and Uche. At receiver any of the top free agents who don’t get tagged should be in play (Higgins, Ridley, Evans, Pittman). The OT class is kind of weak but I’d like to see quality veterans brought in.

Even though DT and corner aren’t exactly needs, the free agent classes at those positions are really strong. If they strike out on offense I would mind seeing the Pats go after Wilkins and Sneed to make the defense elite (then of course I’d want them to use every single draft pick on offense).

We need players at every position of offense and defense (as quality depth is lacking). However, this will best be served as a year to year rebuild (hopefully over a 3 year period), of nailing it through drafting, and the FA's that we do sign are not only talented and proper fits for what the team needs and wants them to do, but are also on the youngest side possible. Judon has been great for us, but I just didn't like that he was 28/29 when he was signed to a 4 year deal (he was a 4th or 5th round pick I believe, and we need to draft such talent like him in those rounds or a bit earlier). Even if we have the same record after next season or a game or two better and are drafting high again, I just want to see legitimate progress. To see that they're on the right track.

Should consider:

Mason Rudolph
Marcus Mariota
Ryan Tannehill
Derrick Henry
Josh Jacobs
Saquon Barkley
Gus Edwards
D'Andre Swift
Calvin Ridley

Odell Beckham
Tyler Boyd
Tee Higgins
Jaelen Raegor
Tyron Smith
Jonah Williams
Robert Hunt
Mike Onwenu
Donovan Smith
Dalton Schultz
Gerald Everett
Noah Fant

Irv Smith
Adam Trautman
Will Lutz
Greg Zeurlein

My top preferences bolded

Last edited:
A FS capable of playing the deep middle of the field is probably my #1 "splurge" position. We need it. Even if Dugger is back, for as good as he and Peppers are individually, there's a skill set lack there. Mapu was tried there at times and it didn't work - not his game and never will be. Personally, I was a fan of trading Dugger at the deadline because Peppers fills that SS role just about as well and you're better off allocating resources to a complimentary FS next to him rather than a duplicative one. And since Peppers is signed another year and probably cheaper to extend beyond that even, Dugger is the one I'd have traded for pick capital if I could have at the deadline.

I'm not saying FS is the position that's going to make the biggest different in our W-L record or that it's the most crucial hole to fill. But I've read it's a strong FA class there and since we have a need for a specific skill set there, it seems like you have a decent chance of scouting the right fit and the guy panning out as you expect. Feels like that's a (relatively) easy position to evaluate the candidates and find a good fit.

Here are some complementary WR's to consider.

K.J. Osborn

DJ Chark

Josh Reynolds

Curtis Samuel

Using over the cap's calculator, I have us at $103.1M in cap space with the following moves:

1) Cut JC Jackson (obvious move at his salary - maybe we re-sign him as outside CB depth but had bad ending to the year)
2) Cut Godchaux (decent player but he's 30, somewhat expensive and can probably be replaced with younger guy using the savings to cut him)
3) Trade Juju pre-June 1st (might require eating some of his guaranteed salary which would reduce cap savings)
4) Trade Parker pre-June 1st (I know he's unpopular here but actually decent value - I just want a change to this position group)
5) Cut Adrian Phillips
6) Cut Lawrence Guy

With that much FA money, I'd try to target the following:

1) Higgins or Pittman if either goes untagged. Even if we take MHJ at #3 over a QB, another legit outside guy never hurts. Would be nice to re-sign Bourne too if his market is soft coming off ACL tear. Just want lively guys here with talent.

2) Re-sign Onwenu with initial intention of playing him at RT and sign a capable vet to at least stand-in at LT. This would leave Sow at RG for now where he showed promise. Still would have the goal of a long term starting LT in the draft, and if you do get one who can play right away you can always kick Onwenu inside to RG again. Maybe Sow to LG over Strange if we stick gap blocking scheme too. But just need to make sure we have capable guys at LT.

3) Land a starting caliber deep FS and capable outside man coverage CB to play opposite Gonzalez so we can get back to press cover 1 looks. Even if it costs Dugger. Our scheme is best when we can do this. Maybe Jon Jones could play FS with Marcus Jones in slot? IDK, but need to get back to a complimentary secondary.

4) It'd be nice to land a long term run-stuffing NT next to Barmore. Generally de-valued position in free agency so we can maybe find a good one here.

5) Pass rush depth with guys like Jennings (hope to re-sign) and Uche or maybe someone else. With Judon coming back and hopeful development from White, I'm optimistic we'd be in good shape here by keeping Jennings and maybe adding another situational edge rusher if Uche is overpaid elsewhere.

@Hugepatsfan Juju's Contract will be a problem Parker shouldn't be in our future I love the rest.

Using over the cap's calculator, I have us at $103.1M in cap space with the following moves:

1) Cut JC Jackson (obvious move at his salary - maybe we re-sign him as outside CB depth but had bad ending to the year)
2) Cut Godchaux (decent player but he's 30, somewhat expensive and can probably be replaced with younger guy using the savings to cut him)
3) Trade Juju pre-June 1st (might require eating some of his guaranteed salary which would reduce cap savings)
4) Trade Parker pre-June 1st (I know he's unpopular here but actually decent value - I just want a change to this position group)
5) Cut Adrian Phillips
6) Cut Lawrence Guy

With that much FA money, I'd try to target the following:

1) Higgins or Pittman if either goes untagged. Even if we take MHJ at #3 over a QB, another legit outside guy never hurts. Would be nice to re-sign Bourne too if his market is soft coming off ACL tear. Just want lively guys here with talent.

2) Re-sign Onwenu with initial intention of playing him at RT and sign a capable vet to at least stand-in at LT. This would leave Sow at RG for now where he showed promise. Still would have the goal of a long term starting LT in the draft, and if you do get one who can play right away you can always kick Onwenu inside to RG again. Maybe Sow to LG over Strange if we stick gap blocking scheme too. But just need to make sure we have capable guys at LT.

3) Land a starting caliber deep FS and capable outside man coverage CB to play opposite Gonzalez so we can get back to press cover 1 looks. Even if it costs Dugger. Our scheme is best when we can do this. Maybe Jon Jones could play FS with Marcus Jones in slot? IDK, but need to get back to a complimentary secondary.

4) It'd be nice to land a long term run-stuffing NT next to Barmore. Generally de-valued position in free agency so we can maybe find a good one here.

5) Pass rush depth with guys like Jennings (hope to re-sign) and Uche or maybe someone else. With Judon coming back and hopeful development from White, I'm optimistic we'd be in good shape here by keeping Jennings and maybe adding another situational edge rusher if Uche is overpaid elsewhere.
Very astute break-down. I like your suggestions. I also like how you pointed out the Barmore could use another stud next to him on the D-Line. And, Having a true #1 WR in MHJ (or reasonable facsimile through the draft), by adding a Higgins or Pittman Jr. as a serious complimentary piece (like Higgins is since the Bengals acquired Chase), is a smart and prudent move. I would rather we eat some cap money by unloading Schuster/Parker, which would give a young'n a chance to possibly thrive. Nicely broken-down and done! P.S. I really like Mike Evans, but he's already 30, and even though he's put up fine numbers despite injury concerns, I'd rather not bring him aboard. Although he won't be cheap, Antoine Winfield Jr. is a true and legit FS that we've grown accustomed to when we had Devin. He could give us what we need on the back-end of the D.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, this Free Agent Class isn't very good. The Pats can spend spend spend all they want but it's not going to net them all that much.

There are some elite players at edge and DT but most seem destined to be franchised. I would throw a lot of money at Wilkins, to pair with Barmore. Local kid who bet on himself this year and it payed off…showed that he can get to the QB, along with being an elite run stuffer. Based upon a recent press conference, Grier is going to let him test the FA waters. Winfield would fill a big FS hole but he, too, will likely be franchised.

One other guy on defense is Frankie Luvu, LB from Carolina.
  1. Sadly, the pickings on offense are slim. If he isn’t franchised, Higgins is the obvious guy to target. Pittman would be an upgrade but some of his stat geek trends are a bit worrisome. I’m intrigued by Ridley, not because he didn’t disappoint this year but because he likely won’t be that expensive and there’s a chance that he just needed a year to get his NFL legs back under him, after missing a full year.
Akeler is exactly the type of running back that they need, but he would have to become much more realistic in terms of his salary.

There are some elite players at edge and DT but most seem destined to be franchised. I would throw a lot of money at Wilkins, to pair with Barmore. Local kid who bet on himself this year and it payed off…showed that he can get to the QB, along with being an elite run stuffer. Based upon a recent press conference, Grier is going to let him test the FA waters. Winfield would fill a big FS hole but he, too, will likely be franchised.

1. Sadly, the pickings on offense are slim. If he isn’t franchised, Higgins is the obvious guy to target. Pittman would be an upgrade but some of his stat geek trends are a bit worrisome. I’m intrigued by Ridley, not because he didn’t disappoint this year but because he likely won’t be that expensive and there’s a chance that he just needed a year to get his NFL legs back under him, after missing a full year.
Akeler is exactly the type of running back that they need, but he would have to become much more realistic in terms of his salary.
It's not certainly an uber talented FA market. But, if we can just pick the right couple or 3 youngish pieces, they could make a difference. I miss the days where we "stole" a Mike Vrabel and Rob Ninkovich, whom they identified as being possible solid players if properly coached and given a chance.

What a year Ridley had. :cool:

Don't get the hype for Higgins. He's good - in stretches, when healthy, and surrounded by guys like Chase.

Let's get Pittman Jr - and pair him with Bourne, Pop, and draft a 2nd rounder like Coleman or Legette.

We need players at every position of offense and defense (as quality depth is lacking). However, this will best be served as a year to year rebuild (hopefully over a 3 year period), of nailing it through drafting, and the FA's that we do sign are not only talented and proper fits for what the team needs and wants them to do, but are also on the youngest side possible. Judon has been great for us, but I just didn't like that he was 28/29 when he was signed to a 4 year deal (he was a 4th or 5th round pick I believe, and we need to draft such talent like him in those rounds or a bit earlier). Even if we have the same record after next season or a game or two better and are drafting high again, I just want to see legitimate progress. To see that they're on the right track.
It’s astonishing that we’re the only fanbase n the league that still thinks rebuilds take 3+ years.

Should consider:

Mason Rudolph
Marcus Mariota
Ryan Tannehill
Derrick Henry
Josh Jacobs
Saquon Barkley
Gus Edwards
D'Andre Swift
Calvin Ridley

Odell Beckham
Tyler Boyd
Tee Higgins
Jaelen Raegor
Tyron Smith
Jonah Williams
Robert Hunt
Mike Onwenu
Donovan Smith
Dalton Schultz
Gerald Everett
Noah Fant

Irv Smith
Adam Trautman
Will Lutz
Greg Zeurlein

My top preferences bolded
Gabe Davis at WR?

Now that BB's gone, we can resign Harry. Get him for cheap too!

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back