PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Slot Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slot Corner??

Darius Butler, baby. :cool:

Next Question.

* Yes, Haters, I KNOW. :D

Rumors of Brother Butler's demise have been GREATLY exaggerated.

He is going to be exceptional.

OK, maybe time to resurrect this debate.

Arrington, Butler, and Wilhite were the candidates for the slot corner.

Arrington appears to be injured.
Butler released.
Wilhite released.

Now we have Dowling, a large corner less suited to small, agile slot receivers, or Molden, another man's bust, who has been here a week.

Clearly not the Chung experiment, since Sanders and Meriweather are gone.

A couple years ago, the roster was full of minnow corners, all about 5-10 190 with 4.34 speed. Now it's a bigger roster better suited to defending the 6-3" outside receivers.

Thoughts?

I say the release of Butler indicates the injury Arrington suffered is less severe than anticipated.
I don't think Molden is suited to play in the slot.

McCourty Dowling and Bodden are clearly the Pats 3 best CBs. Bodden appears best suited to play the slot of those 3.

I expect McCourty and Bodden to start on the outside for the time being, with Dowling manning the outside and Bodden shifting inside on passing downs.

McCourty Dowling and Bodden are clearly the Pats 3 best CBs. Bodden appears best suited to play the slot of those 3.

I expect McCourty and Bodden to start on the outside for the time being, with Dowling manning the outside and Bodden shifting inside on passing downs.

I think this is the way it will work out, if everyone's healthy. When BB first signed Bodden, after a down year in Detroit, he talked about how effective Bodden had been playing inside with Cleveland, and he's been playing there during camp.

Of course, if Dowling is good enough, he might eventually be the starter opposite McCourty.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bill signs another CB w/ slot experience after week 1.

After the activity over the weekend, however, I'm not sure who's available now; WalterFootball, FESPN & Scout.com have not updated their lists to account for all the cuts.

Has old friend Randall Gay found work yet? Too bad Bill didn't sign Kelvin Hayden before Dimitroff did;
he seemed the best available before cut-down day, and prob. didn't command big bucks.

Last edited:
Slot Corner??

Darius Butler, baby. :cool:

Next Question.

* Yes, Haters, I KNOW. :D

Rumors of Brother Butler's demise have been GREATLY exaggerated.

He is going to be exceptional.

You are just having a bad week my friend. First the TE's now this! Remember OTG, always get a designated driver!

I think this is the way it will work out, if everyone's healthy. When BB first signed Bodden, after a down year in Detroit, he talked about how effective Bodden had been playing inside with Cleveland, and he's been playing there during camp.

Of course, if Dowling is good enough, he might eventually be the starter opposite McCourty.

This would be the ideal set-up. Even if RAS I doesn't start if he's good enough for nickel you just slide Bodden inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down