PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Sign Tim Tebow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is Joker, does any of this affect the team in anyway? They won't care about what the media are saying or the amount of coverage Tebow is getting. In fact, they're probably going to use it to their advantage. Want a story about the problems at WR shoved to the darkest recesses of the back page' Don't want Gronk or AHern's injuries being reported to any degree. Easy, stick Tebow out for a press conference - instant every other story killer.

I've already noticed that...yesterday. It is amazing to me the lightning rod nature of Tim Tebow. Suddenly, all the Gronk paranoia, the WR hysteria and the defensive backfield fears seem to have evaporated....I'd hazard a guess that IF BB cared about this stuff, then the Tebow move is already worth it by shifting the harsh media glare to a player who has just been signed to fill out a 90 man roster.

Zac Robinson
Kevin O'Connell
Kliff Kingsbury
Rohan Davey

All QB's who's NFL careers amounted to zero, all had draft picks wasted on them and people are bothered that we signed one as a FA. Some perspective please.

I've already noticed that...yesterday. It is amazing to me the lightning rod nature of Tim Tebow. Suddenly, all the Gronk paranoia, the WR hysteria and the defensive backfield fears seem to have evaporated....I'd hazard a guess that IF BB cared about this stuff, then the Tebow move is already worth it by shifting the harsh media glare to a player who has just been signed to fill out a 90 man roster.

Exactly. And apologies for missing your earlier point. BB likes his marginal gains and the way I see it, Tebow is the personification of the marginal gains theory as far as the Pats are concerned. I can think of a number of ways that BB can help this team, none significant on their own but when combined in one roster spot, those marginal gains start to accumulate.

Zac Robinson
Kevin O'Connell
Kliff Kingsbury
Rohan Davey

All QB's who's NFL careers amounted to zero, all had draft picks wasted on them and people are bothered that we signed one as a FA. Some perspective please.

perspective?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

did any of these players have a HORDE of national media, ESPN, NFLN, and major metro news sources country wide descend upon them EVER????

it's NOT about Tebow the player the Pats signed to compete for a roster spot....there is NOTHING bothersome about THAT...it's the CIRCUS..the thing it seems everyone is now denying even exists...again, I hope it all goes away and Tebow gets a fair shot...but I'm skeptical it can. There isn't just one side to this like everyone seems to want it to be...there isn't some magical BB "disappear!!!" wand that will magically evaporate the pestilential sports media. There's a mute button though and maybe THAT is enough...we'll see.

The only time Belichick may elaborate on anything is if you get him going on an old football story/player, or something from the older times that he obviously respects and would actually enjoy talking about. I get the sense that he could talk about some of that stuff for hours at a time.

Aside from that, he isn't going to give anyone anything...ever.

The bottom line in every question/answer is that it's done for the greater good of the team--both now and in the future. It's really that simple. Why any reporter even bothers asking him anything is beyond me, because they know what the answer is going to be ahead of time.

I think they enjoy the challenge, some of them get creative with their questions so it's not so straight forward.

As you said either way they get BeliCHECKED!

and before I go down to the dock to hit the morning tide chasing them wily fluke, let me pose this what if?

what if this is the final battle between good and evil?...Armageddon in Foxboro...could the hand of God really be at work here?...consider this pic of Timmy holding a lamb..as any Christian knows, the lamb is a symbol of Lamb Of God...J.C.

tebow-christ2.jpg

bringing him in as a QB will put him in direct conflict with....

Tom-Brady-Lamb.jpg

yes...that is Tom Brady holding a goat near and dear...and we all know who the goat signifies, now don't we, true believers?????

this COULD be it....

WWN-1998-Jesus-vs-Satan.jpg

Hope BB didn't take the team down to Texas for a barbecue....yikes!

What is an acceptable quarterback perctange number for a Qb too have?

Thing is Tebow last performance that he really played, all he did was lead an average team to the playoffs. Forget about how he did it.

Were supposed to be all about winning and not the rest of the junk. Could have worse for a second or third option. He might even have a use we can utilize were the jets couldn't.

The New York Jets are a terribly run organization. We know this. Everyone from the owner, the GM, and the coaches fueled the media last year to write endless stories about Tebow, which still ultimately led to nothing.

For some stupid reason, Rex Ryan thought it was better to lose with Mark Sanchez and watch him suck endless times than give Tim Tebow a fair shot. God forbid Tebow actually won a game as a starter and made Rex look completely foolish for sticking with Sanchez so long.

Well, that won't happen here. We all know Brady is the GOAT. Still, it comforts me to know we have a solid backup in Tebow that knows how to win football games. Mallett can't say that!

I think the main contribution Tebow could make on the field this season are two point conversions. If they seriously ran it after every touchdown and Tebow converts better than 50%... we'd be an unstoppable juggernaut!

Will Tebow be Held to a Different (Lower) Standard?

When it comes to the playbook? Fox had to simplify the playbook for him in Denver. How will that fly in NE of all places? If any other QB couldn't learn the playbook, how long would they last here? Will they need special plays designed specifically for their 3rd string QB? Or will he be getting the Chad Johnson free pass because BB likes him as a person?

When it comes to the Patriots offense? Tebow pretty much gets to one read progression and if that receiver isn't open he either runs or throws the ball out of bounds. Not exactly Brady out there reading defenses, or Mallett for that matter, or what would be expected from any other QB.

Is he getting a roster spot while they try him at other positions? With the possible exception of a blocking FB, there has to be dozens of more skilled RB/TE/HBs out there. Again if this is the case, it seems like TT is getting a free pass, getting the contract first then figuring out where to play him.

And let's not forget the media ****storm that follows this kid wherever he goes. Seems like the last thing this team would normally want or even allow but they're going to welcome it for a 3rd string QB (or whatever position he might settle in to).

Re: Will Tebow be Held to a Different (Lower) Standard?

SPOT ON analysis. Be prepared for the Fanbot flamers who think Tebow will be a key contributor simply because he is a Patriot.

The New York Jets are a terribly run organization. We know this. Everyone from the owner, the GM, and the coaches fueled the media last year to write endless stories about Tebow, which still ultimately led to nothing.

For some stupid reason, Rex Ryan thought it was better to lose with Mark Sanchez and watch him suck endless times than give Tim Tebow a fair shot. God forbid Tebow actually won a game as a starter and made Rex look completely foolish for sticking with Sanchez so long.

Well, that won't happen here. We all know Brady is the GOAT. Still, it comforts me to know we have a solid backup in Tebow that knows how to win football games. Mallett can't say that!

I think the main contribution Tebow could make on the field this season are two point conversions. If they seriously ran it after every touchdown and Tebow converts better than 50%... we'd be an unstoppable juggernaut!

Why would you assume that the Jets would have won with Tebow? How do you know how he looked in practice or how well he knew the playbook? What benefit would Ryan get by losing?

And once again, someone suggesting the Pats take Brady out for Tebow in a scoring situation, something I simply cannot understand.

Better than 50%? well I hope so, because 50% of two point conversions is equivalent to 100% of PAT. The odds would have to be much higher than simply better than 50% to justify that. And why do you think TT would have a higher % than Brady? Wouldn't you want Brady in there, even for 2 pointers?

SPOT ON analysis. Be prepared for the Fanbot flamers who think Tebow will be a key contributor simply because he is a Patriot.

I agree. I hope Tebow is a miserable failure too. I probably wont go around the forum to tell all the fanbots "I told you so" but you feel free if you like. Its always great when BB tries out someone and it dosent work out. Great for the team.

When it comes to the playbook? Fox had to simplify the playbook for him in Denver. How will that fly in NE of all places? If any other QB couldn't learn the playbook, how long would they last here? Will they need special plays designed specifically for their 3rd string QB? Or will he be getting the Chad Johnson free pass because BB likes him as a person?

When it comes to the Patriots offense? Tebow pretty much gets to one read progression and if that receiver isn't open he either runs or throws the ball out of bounds. Not exactly Brady out there reading defenses, or Mallett for that matter, or what would be expected from any other QB.

The question is how much of Tebow's problems were a reflection of an inability to read a defense vs. an inability to throw the ball accurately.

Not to mention that if for Tebow the first read isn't open running the ball quite possible is the best option. Hopefully I don't need to explain why Brady isn't going to be running with the ball :p

As for throwing it out of bounds isn't that what Belichick wants? Better to take the incompletion than to force an interception.

I expect him to be a third string qb, and i expect him to play special teams, in addition to the occasional trick play.

Why does everybody seem to think that Tebow isn't the brightest bulb in the box? The guy is a very smart kid. What Fox did was tailor an offense that plays to his strengths. He didn't simplify anything for him. Tebow's very able to understand a complicated system. Urban Meyer's was one of the more complicated spread option offenses in college football and Tebow excelled in it. The difference is that this offense that we currently run with Brady doesn't play AT ALL to Tebow's strengths as a quarterback. So I think your question should be that if Tebow ever sees playing time as a quarterback here (which would mean that the apocalypse happens), would BB and the coaching staff implement a different offense other than the Ehrhardt-Perkins in order to play to his strengths?

Better than 50%? well I hope so, because 50% of two point conversions is equivalent to 100% of PAT. The odds would have to be much higher than simply better than 50% to justify that. And why do you think TT would have a higher % than Brady? Wouldn't you want Brady in there, even for 2 pointers?

Because Tom Brady runs like an old grandmother!

Tebow can excel in two points, I bet you anything

The question is how much of Tebow's problems were a reflection of an inability to read a defense vs. an inability to throw the ball accurately.

Not to mention that if for Tebow the first read isn't open running the ball quite possible is the best option. Hopefully I don't need to explain why Brady isn't going to be running with the ball :p

As for throwing it out of bounds isn't that what Belichick wants? Better to take the incompletion than to force an interception.

A QB that is only capable of having one option to throw to before running or throwing it out of bounds? Yes, yes, that's exactly what the Pats look for in a QB - sounds like a perfect fit for their offense.

Any time we can get Tebow in at the expense of Brady that's a good thing right? Can't wait until he is the full time starter (should be by mid season, right?). Just imagine how good the offense will be then!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back