PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Sign Tim Tebow

Status
Not open for further replies.
No guaranteed money. If he can cut it, maybe he makes the roster, if he can't learn the playbook or hack the details then they cut him. Zero risk, not a penny or a pick, or a player lost.

It's a #3 QB signing, and if it was anyone but Tebow it would have been a complete non-story (like Mike Kafka was btw).

Frankly, all the gonads and strife all over the fanbase on and off line is just adding more fuel to the fire that everyone says he doesn't deserve. It supports and strengthens ESPN and the Sport's media's obsession with Tebow and makes them cover him more.

If Tebow is worthless, then ignore him. :bricks:

Re: Will Tebow be Held to a Different (Lower) Standard?

I expect him to be a third string qb, and i expect him to play special teams, in addition to the occasional trick play.

I expect he won't make the team. I wonder if the pats get a cut of his jersey sales?

When it comes to the playbook? Fox had to simplify the playbook for him in Denver. How will that fly in NE of all places? If any other QB couldn't learn the playbook, how long would they last here? Will they need special plays designed specifically for their 3rd string QB? Or will he be getting the Chad Johnson free pass because BB likes him as a person?

When it comes to the Patriots offense? Tebow pretty much gets to one read progression and if that receiver isn't open he either runs or throws the ball out of bounds. Not exactly Brady out there reading defenses, or Mallett for that matter, or what would be expected from any other QB.

Is he getting a roster spot while they try him at other positions? With the possible exception of a blocking FB, there has to be dozens of more skilled RB/TE/HBs out there. Again if this is the case, it seems like TT is getting a free pass, getting the contract first then figuring out where to play him.

And let's not forget the media ****storm that follows this kid wherever he goes. Seems like the last thing this team would normally want or even allow but they're going to welcome it for a 3rd string QB (or whatever position he might settle in to).

This gets merged while into a 700+ response thread while "Tebow thankful" 'Why do people assume TT can play TE" and "The play to run for Tebow" get their own thread? Any reasoning or criteria or is it all completely arbitrary?

This gets merged while into a 700+ response thread while "Tebow thankful" 'Why do people assume TT can play TE" and "The play to run for Tebow" get their own thread? Any reasoning or criteria or is it all completely arbitrary?

How many Tebow threads do we need? Also considering you dont even like the guy aren't you happy there is one less thread about him?

How many Tebow threads do we need? Also considering you dont even like the guy aren't you happy there is one less thread about him?

i was just going to say i counted 5 just in the first 10 or so most recent threads.

Tebow is already oversaturated as a patriots discussion topic.

Maybe if "Tebow thankful" among others weren't still on the board. My thread was a legitimate question and a worthwhile topic.

I find it curious that I'm being attacked for showing what HAS happened before and what IS happening since he was signed. This has NOTHING to do with me...it's N-E-W-S.

Attacked is a bit strong. You're still one of my 3 favorite posters here bro.

You're posting about a media frenzy today and drawing a parallel to a situation in the past involving the same guy but the circumstances could not be more different.

• Belichick is not the media-friendly coach that Rex is.
  • Brady is not a QB on the hotseat like Sanchez was.
  • The Patriots are not a team that will be struggling to win 8 games like the Jets did.
  • Tebow is not a few months removed from being QB for a playoff win.

It's for those reasons that the story will sputter and die in a week, resurface during the preseason and then die again by the time the regular season comes around. It's just the only story the media have created to talk about right now which is why we're seeing all of this furor right now.

Maybe if "Tebow thankful" among others weren't still on the board. My thread was a legitimate question and a worthwhile topic.

Not according to the powers that be here. Also, you are wrong in your assessment of Tebow and his ability grasp a playbook. That probably did not help. Yes, there are some delusional people here who think that the pats should change their strategy because of this guy. Silly.

Or maybe there were just enough TT threads already. For some reason you are taking this personal.

And to be honest I will take the "Tebow faithful" here over the posters that just want to spew venom about the guy. He is a 3rd stringer. Who cares. The obsession with him on both sides is absurd.

i don't want to wade through 50+ pages, so pardon me if this has been mentioned already

Pats need a 3rd QB for camp......we all know the 3rd QB isn't making the roster

the read option/running QB is popular with teams in the NFL

bringing Tebow in as 3rd QB means he runs the scout team.....we now have scout team capability with the ability to mimic the read option/mobile QB

Tebow gives them those looks.....gets cut.....goes to CFL

simple as that

you're obviously very angry at me for...well..whatever...that's OK...vent away Deus...

I'm not angry with you at all. I'm just noting that you've completely lost it.

I don't get the venom directed towards Tebow. I'm not a Tebow guy but I want him to succeed because

1. He is on our team now
2. He seems like a good guy who is also willing to improve our team.
3. Bill probably sees him helping this team in various ways so why don't we give bill the benefit of the doubt. I'm not one of those in bill we trust I actually hate that and the blind obidence thing.

Furthermore what's up with people posting bad highlights of Tim Tebow. You could find a bad highlights of every good quarterbacks. Even Tom Brady, Rodgers, both Eli brothers. One last thing what does a posters join date have to do with him being a good poster.

I'm not quite sure exactly WHY this thread is still continuing. My biggest fear is that the mediots will look at the size and longevity of it and use it to justify their maddening concentration on this NON-story.

We all know that this has nothing to do with football, and everything to do with a media based created event. They NEED to create content to justify their own existence. This kind of an overly extended thread just serves to aid in that sorry endeavor.

The simple fact is that the Pats were in need of a 3rd (and potential 4th) arm in preparation for TC this July. And while no one here would opine that, at this point, Tim Tebow is a starting caliber NFL QB; his track record CLEARLY shows that he's capable of being a decent back up to an excellent #3. In other words in a league where 3 QB per team is the norm, an solid argument can be made that ranking Tebow between 50-80 would be fair.

In my mind there is a place for Tim Tebow as a QB in the NFL, just not a very significant one. Whether, in the end, its with the Pats is another story. Clearly if he earns his way on the 53 man roster, it will be as one of the bottom 8 players, and he will have value in what he contributes to the team in that role. That SHOULD be enough for the team and fans. Unfortunately it won't be enough for the media :rolleyes:

I don't get the venom directed towards Tebow. I'm not a Tebow guy but I want him to succeed because

1. He is on our team now
2. He seems like a good guy who is also willing to improve our team.
3. Bill probably sees him helping this team in various ways so why don't we give bill the benefit of a doubt. I'm not one of those in bill we trust I actually hate that and the blind obidence thing.

Furthermore what's up with people posting bad highlights of Tim Tebow. You could find a bad highlights of every good quarterbacks. Even Tom Brady, Rodgers, both Eli brothers. One last thing what does a posters join date have to do with him being a good poster.

The people throwing out the venom are those that take issue with what he stands for. His beliefs and his faith. Those that simply aren't fans of the move didn't see an immediate need for a third string quarterback that comes along with a lot of luggage that isn't a very good passer and has trouble with his progressions.

i don't want to wade through 50+ pages, so pardon me if this has been mentioned already

Pats need a 3rd QB for camp......we all know the 3rd QB isn't making the roster

the read option/running QB is popular with teams in the NFL

bringing Tebow in as 3rd QB means he runs the scout team.....we now have scout team capability with the ability to mimic the read option/mobile QB

Tebow gives them those looks.....gets cut.....goes to CFL

simple as that

I do think this is the reason we signed him. In 3 of the last 4 years we have only carried 2 QB's, and I don't think Tebow is a good enough addition as a 3rd QB on a 53 man roster, when that spot can be used on a more impact player. I expect him to get cut on final cut downs after he is used up as our read option QB in practice.

The people throwing out the venom are those that take issue with what he stands for. His beliefs and his faith. Those that simply aren't fans of the move didn't see an immediate need for a third string quarterback that comes along with a lot of luggage that isn't a very good passer and has trouble with his progressions.

I think that is only half of the group.

Back when Brady was first starting for us I used to have to defend him on SomethingAwful against people who thought he was just a system QB. He didn't have the stats that Manning had so they viewed Manning as the superior young QB. I'd say that Brady is a superior player in the clutch and I'd get laughed at.

Fantasy Football has given rise to a new type of fan, the Football Atheist. If it cannot be quantified in a stat sheet it does not exist. They scoff at ideas like clutch, momentum, 'it' factor, etc.

And a lot of the people on this board fit that bill now that Brady has become a stat machine (but his post season record has gotten worse)

For those people Tebow's religion has nothing to do with it. They will cite stats and note his mechanics as reasons why he can never make it as a QB.

For people like me, who do believe in esoteric concepts when it comes to evaluating a player, the season he had in Denver exemplifies what it means to be a guy who just has a knack of winning games. For people who don't believe in those concepts Denver was an aberration - a terrible QB who was carried to victory by his team mates (the same ones who had **** the bed before he took over as starting QB)

I guess that's what bothers me about the 'they hate him for what he stands for' meme you read in every Tebow discussion. There's a lot of people who either respect him for living according to his faith or who don't give a **** about it who just don't like the guy as a QB.

Furthermore what's up with people posting bad highlights of Tim Tebow. You could find a bad highlights of every good quarterbacks. .

Its the never ending venom from Tebow detractors, they take it personal when someone is a fan of Tebow or if he attempts to have any success. Its a real and serious obsession. While its easier to understand a fan liking someone and following them its hard to grasp why you would hate a player and go way, way out of your way to make any fan of that particular player miserable.

Just read through this thread and see how many are actively rooting for him to fail (literally typing "I hope he fails" ). It makes no sense.

Oh and I'm still checking my watch waiting for this board to get flooded with thousands of Tebowites . tick tock, tick tock, tick tock...

Just read through this thread and see how many are actively rooting for him to fail (literally typing "I hope he fails" ). It makes no sense.

I wrote that. Do you understand why I wrote it...the context?

I wrote that. Do you understand why I wrote it...the context?

There were so many negative comments its hard to keep track. My apologies if I took it out of context. It wasn't my intention. but I can insert a dozen other ones in place of that one.

There were so many negative comments its hard to keep track. My apologies if I took it out of context. It wasn't my intention. but I can insert a dozen other ones in place of that one.

Oh there are a ton. I was just mocking someone.

Its the never ending venom from Tebow detractors, they take it personal when someone is a fan of Tebow or if he attempts to have any success. Its a real and serious obsession. While its easier to understand a fan liking someone and following them its hard to grasp why you would hate a player and go way, way out of your way to make any fan of that particular player miserable.

Oh and I'm still checking my watch waiting for this board to get flooded with thousands of Tebowites . tick tock, tick tock, tick tock...

If Tim Tebow received the same amount of attention as any other borderline 3rd string QB it really wouldn't be any issue at all, however instead of getting the attention deserving of his status he gets the attention that a HOF quality starting QB should receive and then his fans get really upset that people want them to shut up about a player no-one should be talking about to begin with. If there were 40 threads about Mike Kafka when he signed here I guarantee that fans here would be telling those starting them and those blubbering about him to stop the presses and shut the threads down. Unfortunately for Tebow, and in part because of his own behaviors in trumpeting his faith, when he comes to town the circus comes with him, and all those but his ardent fan base are really really sick of the hype and the circus. If Belichick can successfully shut down the circus and Tebow can help them practice for the read and react defenses they will face then maybe they can salvage something from the signing but other than that he really has no value to this team, and if lightning strikes twice and he ends up actually playing QB then they can kiss their season goodbye because he simply is not an NFL QB. I seriously doubt it will ever come to that but for all of our sakes let;s hope it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back