PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign Gerard Warren

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've replaced Green with Lewis and Warren. I expect that they will improve the defense, especially against the run.

Agreed.

The open question is how many reps Brace and Pryor will get this year. I expect the top five to be Warren, Wilfork, Wright, Warren and Lewis. The run defense WILL improve. It should also improve with Spikes or McKenzie getting some reps at ILB.

And Deaderick makes eight DL's. He could certainly make the squad. He was available where he was because of off-the-field issues.

I wouldn't be feeling very comfortable if I were Brace and Pryor.

I dont know. Warren played DT next to Seymour at DE last year, played 770 snaps to Seymours 802. Had 2 less sacks than Seymour and had 25 tackles, 10 assts to Seymours 30/17.
The guy has started 128 of 135 career games in a 9 year career.
Why is he a slouch?

Oh, btw in 9 years Seymour averages 4.7 sacks a season and Warren 3.5.

Last edited:
Agreed.

The open question is how many reps Brace and Pryor will get this year. I expect the top five to be Warren, Wilfork, Wright, Warren and Lewis. The run defense WILL improve. It should also improve with Spikes or McKenzie getting some reps at ILB.

And Deaderick makes eight DL's. He could certainly make the squad. He was available where he was because of off-the-field issues.

I like uncomfortable players at training camp.

Agreed.

Good post, but I'm going to respectfully disagree on the point about Pryor. I think he showed good flashes at times in a rookie year, and has BB's attention to some degree. I think (just an opinion) that Pryor will see some extended reps this year, and I think he'll continue to earn them.

I can't speculate on how/where, but if I had to guess I'd change the above 5 to Warren, Wilfork, Wright, Lewis/Warren, Pryor.

Brace is the main unknown still, as it's his job to crack the depth chart somehow, or at the very least provide depth for garbage time or injury situations. Then again, it could be that Lewis/Warren are there to provide depth, with some situational/rotation reps.

Regardless, I think it's a certain upgrade, and am pleased with the position. I also expect that it will maybe even continue to improve with 1 more vet signing if BB sees fit.

On a side note, can some please tell me what JAG stands for? I know the context of it and see it all the time, but I cannot figure out what exactly it stands for.

On a side note, can some please tell me what JAG stands for? I know the context of it and see it all the time, but I cannot figure out what exactly it stands for.

Just
A
Guy

JAG = "just a guy" or "just another guy"

It is usually mean as an insult, although it shouldn't be. All teams need some veteran JAG's as experienced, inexpensive, depth on their rosters.

I agree that Pryor did well as a rookie, and caught the coach's eye. He now has some serious competition. I'm certainly fine if he succeeds and beats out the competition for reps.

Good post, but I'm going to respectfully disagree on the point about Pryor. I think he showed good flashes at times in a rookie year, and has BB's attention to some degree. I think (just an opinion) that Pryor will see some extended reps this year, and I think he'll continue to earn them.

I can't speculate on how/where, but if I had to guess I'd change the above 5 to Warren, Wilfork, Wright, Lewis/Warren, Pryor.

Brace is the main unknown still, as it's his job to crack the depth chart somehow, or at the very least provide depth for garbage time or injury situations. Then again, it could be that Lewis/Warren are there to provide depth, with some situational/rotation reps.

Regardless, I think it's a certain upgrade, and am pleased with the position. I also expect that it will maybe even continue to improve with 1 more vet signing if BB sees fit.

Last edited:
I always thought it meant Jets Are Gack

You guys are right that Brace had better come ready to play. We lost Green and have added Warren and Lewis. And the two DL we drafted are very intriguing. For every job to be won there's a job to be lose and 2nd round pick or not, Brace is at the top of that list.

You guys are right that Brace had better come ready to play. We lost Green and have added Warren and Lewis. And the two DL we drafted are very intriguing. For every job to be won there's a job to be lose and 2nd round pick or not, Brace is at the top of that list.

We lost Seymour and Green, added Lewis and Warren. Brace is a backup nose tackle project.

What backup nose tackle did we acquire?

He'll be 32 at the start of the season. He isn't ancient.

I don't know if he can make the final 53 man roster, but why not let him compete?

i totally agree with you: let' s see how it will end

We lost Seymour and Green, added Lewis and Warren. Brace is a backup nose tackle project.
We didn't have Seymour last year. I'm talking last year to this year.

What backup nose tackle did we acquire?
Depends where they play Weston, he could be a NT or a DE. Bottom line, we have more numbers and a variety can play NT in a pinch (including Wright). I hope Brace steps it up and looks good - I really do - but there's a ton of DL competing for spots and he'll have to earn one.

We didn't have Seymour last year. I'm talking last year to this year.

Depends where they play Weston, he could be a NT or a DE. Bottom line, we have more numbers and a variety can play NT in a pinch (including Wright). I hope Brace steps it up and looks good - I really do - but there's a ton of DL competing for spots and he'll have to earn one.

Pryor is your backup NT. He did ok in spot duty.

I'm going to give this guy a chance. Some pickups miss and some do just fine. Noone was to keen on the Pleasant or Phifer signing and they did ok here. Sometimes Belichick's scemes have a magical way of turning around some players careers. I'm hoping this is an instance where this will be just that.

Pryor is your backup NT. He did ok in spot duty.
That's my point is there will be lots of competition for DL spots. Pryor and Brace could both be it. Wright could with others playing DE. Weston could be a NT or a DE.

JAG = "just a guy" or "just another guy"

It is usually mean as an insult, although it shouldn't be. All teams need some veteran JAG's as experienced, inexpensive, depth on their rosters.

i thought it was short for jagoff..

It's a freakin' FLYER, people. What's to hate? See if BB can get something out of him, then let him go. Who cares?
Agree he is a flyer, but don't think he will make it. Perhaps he will be motivated to produce for 1 year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft