PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign former Colts RB Joseph Addai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Addai to Pats

the twittering sez so...

huh.

Any thoughts on Addai 2012 (I know Addai a few years ago would be a nice pickup...)

Re: Addai to Pats

Couldn't look three threads down?

scared of heights....

Sounds like a quality veteran backup signing. Good to know that if Ridley goes down, at least we have a proven back to step up and contribute.

That's really about what it comes down to, making some minor tweaks here and there to an already pretty decent group of players.

We all saw a vet RB role as a probable addition, and we envisioned that happening sooner rather than later.

Ridley and Vereen should be able to carry the load, with Woodhead as our 3rd down back. Addai will possibly be here for competition for the last RB spot, or to provide valuable depth and an option to step in as a starter in a pinch. Hopefully, we won't have to see him very often, and the 2 youngsters can prove themselves in pass protection immediately.

That's really about what it comes down to, making some minor tweaks here and there to an already pretty decent group of players.

We all saw a vet RB role as a probable addition, and we envisioned that happening sooner rather than later.

Ridley and Vereen should be able to carry the load, with Woodhead as our 3rd down back. Addai will possibly be here for competition for the last RB spot, or to provide valuable depth and an option to step in as a starter in a pinch. Hopefully, we won't have to see him very often, and the 2 youngsters can prove themselves in pass protection immediately.
Hopefully Addai is the reverse Vinatieri. That worked out well for the Colts.

Last edited:
Hopefully Addai is the reverse Vinatieri. That worked out well for the Colts.

I'm going to be honest, Aus.

I had Addai as my #3 back out of the 3 who visited. I would've rather had Grant or Hightower personally.

I think the difference is obviously in his ability to pass protect, which BB feels he can do better than the other 2. And of course there's the possibility that Hightower was ruled out pretty quickly due to his injury situation, and it simply came down to Grant vs. Addai.

If BB feels he's the best pickup, then I will have to trust in that thought, but I would assume that pass protection is the #1 factor in this signing.

Posting after taking a nap is hazardous ... :p

images

This just came in about the same time as your breaking news...... Addai is signed and man walks on moon...WOW!

Count me among those who see this signing as the death knell for Kevin Faulk, God bless him.

Addai's a great utility back for a spread offense. If none of the youngsters emerge, he's a great "worst case scenario."

I'm going to be honest, Aus.

I had Addai as my #3 back out of the 3 who visited. I would've rather had Grant or Hightower personally.

I think the difference is obviously in his ability to pass protect, which BB feels he can do better than the other 2. And of course there's the possibility that Hightower was ruled out pretty quickly due to his injury situation, and it simply came down to Grant vs. Addai.

If BB feels he's the best pickup, then I will have to trust in that thought, but I would assume that pass protection is the #1 factor in this signing.
I had the FA's listed as follows;

Benson

Grant
Hightower

Addai

Interestingly, Addai has generally been more productive than all of them. Goes to show what a crapshoot RB's are outside of the elite few.

Count me among those who see this signing as the death knell for Kevin Faulk, God bless him.

Addai's a great utility back for a spread offense. If none of the youngsters emerge, he's a great "worst case scenario."

"Great" is not the word I would use to describe Addai in any capacity. Hes serviceable and as other posters call out, he knows how to pass block.

Theres clearly gotta be a reason why they didn't sign him but based on running ability level alone Ryan Grant would have been my choice.

One unmentioned plus for Addai - when healthy he finds and hits the hole quickly.

Funny and silly stat - Addai's 4.37 40 time at the 2006 combine would have made him the fastest RB in the 2012 draft.

Addai is a JAG. Even in his prime, he was not a game changer. Decent pass blocker is all i'm hoping for. Time for ridley and vereen to step it up.

I'm lukewarm on this. Two years ago, I thought Addai would be the perfect Faulk replacement. Never thought he was a lead back because since he played the Pats in 2007 he has lost his edge. He is definitely more suited for the change of pace/3rd down role.

Now I think he might not be any better than Woodhead in any way than blitz pick up. Yes, that is huge, but I don't know if he is as good the role as a runner or receiver the way they use Woodhead.

I assuming it will be an one year deal with little guaranteed. So it is a low risk move with potential for high reward if he can return to what he was several years ago. Don't hate the deal, but not ready to say it was a great move.

little-blue-man.jpg

For what BB is looking for........ I think Addai was best suited to fill the need. Wanna know why?

This is ordinarily where I would go into a long rant justifying why, I, a lowly know-little fan thinks why Addai is the best guy for this team, which I have no part in actually shaping. Maybe I should skip all that and stick to the obvious....... Addai was best suited for this team BECAUSE BB CHOSE TO SIGN HIM INSTEAD OF THE OTHERS. ;)

Best case: makes the team and is reasonable serviceable in his role. Worst Case: Camp fodder which is neither here nor there for this team.

Time will tell.

Last edited:
Addai is a JAG. Even in his prime, he was not a game changer. Decent pass blocker is all i'm hoping for. Time for ridley and vereen to step it up.

Makes sense since we signed him to be a JAG

Here's my optimistic reading of the tea leaves:

What Ridley, Woodhead, Vereen, Bolden and Addai ALL have in common is that they're equally competent on passing and running plays. IMO the best way to upgrade the Pats' ground game is with RBs versatile enough to make running plays utterly unpredictable.

This.

Like many others, I'm underwhelmed by the Addai signing. I would have preferred Hightower, but with his ACL injury there's a lot of uncertainty. I see Addai as part insurance, part roster competition and depth, part a veteran presence. My best guess is that he's fighting with Brandon Bolden for a 4th RB spot (not including FB), barring injury to Vereen/Ridley/Woodhead.

I very much have wanted the Pats to integrate the RBs into the offense more at least 3 years now. That requires having RB's who are "equally competent on passing and running plays" and "versatile enough to make running plays utterly unpredictable". We haven't had much of that in some time - certainly not with Maroney in 2009 and not with BJGE in 2010-2011. I think it should be possible for EVERY RB on the roster - including "power backs" like Ridley or Bolden - to be capable receivers and blockers who can be used as weapons in the passing game. That's one reason why I wasn't terribly upset to see BJGE leave in FA. He was a reliable, durable inside runner, but he didn't really provide much versatility or have a role in the passing game.

Addai, playing in an offense that is very, very friendly to running backs, has averaged

in his career. His reception numbers are also way down. It's possible that he's going to rebound and be the player that he was as a rookie (or even in his second year) but, in all likelihood, if he's the answer, the question was about guys who are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST