PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign former Colts RB Joseph Addai

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like how we have more options at RB for the hurry up/shot gun offense. The last two years it was just Woody since BJGE wasn't suited as a pass catcher/ run in space guy.
Now we have Addai, Woody, and Bolden for that role.

addai was always underrated because of the offense he was in
Addai was fairly decent in 2006, 2007 & 2009. That leaves him with a injury plagued and fairly unproductive 2008, 2010, 2011. For half his career, he's been injured or unproductive. If he can get back to his early career form and play a complimentary role, then fine, if not it's just a meh signing.

2007 Addai would be welcomed but if we're going RB's, despite my reservations, I'd want Ridley and Vereen doing the bulk of work with Woodhead/Addai/<insert FB> chipping in.

Last edited:
And just to make it a tighter squeeze it's hard to imagine none of the FBs making the roster.

Too true. I could do Spencer Larsen, but it would mean cutting Daniel Fells. Fells could probably line up at FB, when needed. Or Connolly, as has been our habit these last few years.

Other option is to cut a LB... maybe Carpenter or Cunningham. But I'd rather keep the fantastic talent on the defensive side, to let BB run his vaunted 0-7 and 1-6 defensive fronts that only the Patriots have the depth to pull off with credibility. I figure the schematic versatility there is more useful than dropping a lightly used offensive depth guy.

Hope he sticks around, good back when healthy but can never seem to stay that way. Maybe being 1 of 3/4 backs used will help

Good signing. Should have drafted him over Maroney back in 06.

I also wanted Addai back then because he was supposedly better in pass blocking. It made taking Maroney worth it when Manning said we took his RB. Then the next 5 years happened :bricks:

Im having a hard time getting excited about this one.

he was from the same draft as lomo right?

WOW, I never thought to see Addai in a Patriots uniform. At least we have a Veteran RB to mold these yougins!

Not sure we want our young RBs to emulate Addai. I think we want Addai to compete for a role among them, certainly not be their leader.

Love this signing, Addai does it all well, great pass blocker,pass catcher,and a decent runner. Coming off a bad season but, I think he can rebound. I think he'll make the roster with Woody,Vereen,& Ridley. Love Faulk but, he should probably retire. Who is bolden btw?

Last edited:
Addai was fairly decent in 2006, 2007 & 2009. That leaves him with a injury plagued and fairly unproductive 2008, 2010, 2011. For half his career, he's been injured or unproductive. If he can get back to his early career form and play a complimentary role, then fine, if not it's just a meh signing.

2007 Addai would be welcomed but if we're going RB's, despite my reservations, I'd want Ridley and Vereen doing the bulk of work with Woodhead/Addai/<insert FB> chipping in.

I thinki its rare for a RB coming coming off 3 poor years in the last 4 to revert to his youngster form.

I can see a role for him with the PATs. From what I read he is very
good in pass protection. Faulk was good but at his age he may not be
up to the physicality of that task. He is also a good receiver out of the
backfield.

So on passing downs when the opposition is bringing the house
Addai may be the best and certainly the most experienced the PATs have
for that role.
Woodhead is too small for pass blocking.(IMO)
Good signing.

Last edited:
backfield.

for that role.
Good signing.

I have to say, I really, really, really hope that Ridley or Vereen emerges as a good enough pass blocker that we don't have to give significant reps to an RB who really isn't a significant threat with the ball in his hands any longer.

Also, let's take a moment to marvel over Kevin Faulk, one of the very best at blitz pickup, who is virtually the same size as too-small Danny Woodhead.

backfield.

for that role.
Good signing.

I don't know why you're cutting and pasting your response from Word...;)

But may I make a friendly suggestion? :)

If you cut and paste from NotePad, you'll probably be a lot happier with the results. :cool:

I hope that doesn't come across as crass: Your writing is better than most.

I don't know why you're cutting and pasting your response from Word...;)

But may I make a friendly suggestion? :)

If you cut and paste from NotePad, you'll probably be a lot happier with the results. :cool:

I hope that doesn't come across as crass: Your writing is better than most.

:confused::confused: I did not use word or notepad. Maybe that's a problem?

I have to say, I really, really, really hope that Ridley or Vereen emerges as a good enough pass blocker that we don't have to give significant reps to an RB who really isn't a significant threat with the ball in his hands any longer.

Also, let's take a moment to marvel over Kevin Faulk, one of the very best at blitz pickup, who is virtually the same size as too-small Danny Woodhead.

If Addai can still block and catch a pass he has a role on passing downs.
I have seen Woodhead get run over trying to block. In the roll of pass
protection, Faulk is an exception for a player his size.(IMO)

Last edited:
has this guy ever remained healthy for a entire season?

Hope he sticks around, good back when healthy but can never seem to stay that way. Maybe being 1 of 3/4 backs used will help

Assuming he makes the final roster, hopefully this doesn't turn out to be a Fred Taylor redux where he's injured for most of the season...

-Jamman

Sounds like a quality veteran backup signing. Good to know that if Ridley goes down, at least we have a proven back to step up and contribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News