PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign former Colts RB Joseph Addai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Addai is a JAG. Even in his prime, he was not a game changer. Decent pass blocker is all i'm hoping for. Time for ridley and vereen to step it up.

I'm not a fan of Addai at all and there are at least a few availalble RB's I'd have preferred over him, but he was a very good back in his prime.

He definitely changed that 2007 game around with his ridiculous 80 yard TD catch right before the half. Luckily we made a double digit comeback in the end. All of 2007 and a good portion of 2006 he was solid. Unfortunately he hasn't been the same since. Indy overall has not been a good running team since 2009 anyways, so perhaps BB saw something in him that was hidden by that. I'm not holding my breath on that but at worst he fits a need in RB depth.

I can see a role for him with the PATs. From what I read he is very
good in pass protection. Faulk was good but at his age he may not be
up to the physicality of that task. He is also a good receiver out of the
backfield.

So on passing downs when the opposition is bringing the house
Addai may be the best and certainly the most experienced the PATs have
for that role.
Woodhead is too small for pass blocking.(IMO)
Good signing.

I don't know why you're cutting and pasting your response from Word...

But may I make a friendly suggestion?

If you cut and paste from NotePad, you'll probably be a lot happier with the results.

I hope that doesn't come across as crass: Your writing is better than most.

I always read JR4's posts as poetry. :D
----------------------------------

Here's a small thought, probably not significant, that I'm surprised no one has brought up.. Consider these two highlights from his career:

(From Wikipedia)

"On January 21, 2007, in the AFC Championship Game against the New England Patriots, Addai scored the game-winning touchdown with 1:00 remaining, giving the Colts a victory and a trip to Super Bowl XLI."

"On November 4, 2007, in a Week 9 game against the New England Patriots, Addai became the first Indianapolis Colt ever to gain 100 yards receiving and 100 yards rushing in one game."

I know this was five years ago but, considering BB's keen memory and his predilection for keeping his eye on players who play particluarly well against him, could this have been a factor in the signing?

Joseph Addai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Addai, playing in an offense that is very, very friendly to running backs, has averaged.....

I'm sorry, but this is just mind-bogglingly false. The Colts offense is friendly to RBs? Maybe back in 2004. Since 2008, it's been utterly lost for the below reasons, and it isn't on Addai....

First off, the Colts have one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. It's been that way since about 2008. It's no coincidence that 2006 was Addai's best year. It's when they still had Tarik Glenn. He retired. Since then, it was a revolving door of utter crap.

Second -- if you've followed the Colts offense -- you'd know that their entire rushing attack hinged around the stretch play. You know, the very rushing concept that they stopped running since 2008. Why? Well it started when Peyton was coming back off of that knee injury; the bursa sack infection, remember? They tried to phase out the stretch because Peyton couldn't physically get out far enough to deliver the handoff. But after Peyton's knee healed? They really never returned to the stretch play because their line, at that point, had deteriorated. They really didn't have linemen who could get out of their stance, stretch horizontally, and execute a zone blocking concept. Again, for the past few years, Indy has had one of the worst lines in the NFL.

Also, Indy's offense was probably the most rigid and strict, in terms of which concepts they used. When they couldn't even run their most successful rushing concept? Their running game fell off a cliff....

EDIT: Oh, the reason why the Colts rushing attacked hinged on the stretch was due the defensive front 7 spacing. If you hit up defenses with the stretch enough; they'd widen their spacing to counter it. The result? First, obviously, it allowed the offense to gash that D right up the middle with another run. But more importantly, it meant the DEs or OLBs would be split out and, thus, further away from Peyton Manning; allowing him just a little bit more time. That's Toom Moore's offense in a nutshell. Simple concepts. But ones that can be used at any time, and are frustrating to defend....until the offense simply cannot execute it on their own (see, 2008-11).

Last edited:
I really like this signing, don't expect huge numbers out of him but he will hopefully rub off on Ridley/Vereen and teach them how things work. Addai is also a very solid rush blocker, this off-season keeps getting better and better. Superbowl or bust baby.

Addai is average at best at this point in his career.

I'm sorry, but this is just mind-bogglingly false. The Colts offense is friendly to RBs? Maybe back in 2004. Since 2008, it's been utterly lost for the below reasons, and it isn't on Addai....

First off, the Colts have one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. It's been that way since about 2008. It's no coincidence that 2006 was Addai's best year. It's when they still had Tarik Glenn. He retired. Since then, it was a revolving door of utter crap.

Second -- if you've followed the Colts offense -- you'd know that their entire rushing attack hinged around the stretch play. You know, the very rushing concept that they stopped running since 2008. Why? Well it started when Peyton was coming back off of that knee injury; the bursa sack infection, remember? They tried to phase out the stretch because Peyton couldn't physically get out far enough to deliver the handoff. But after Peyton's knee healed? They really never returned to the stretch play because their line, at that point, had deteriorated. They really didn't have linemen who could get out of their stance, stretch horizontally, and execute a zone blocking concept. Again, for the past few years, Indy has had one of the worst lines in the NFL.

Also, Indy's offense was probably the most rigid and strict, in terms of which concepts they used. When they couldn't even run their most successful rushing concept? Their running game fell off a cliff....

EDIT: Oh, the reason why the Colts rushing attacked hinged on the stretch was due the defensive front 7 spacing. If you hit up defenses with the stretch enough; they'd widen their spacing to counter it. The result? First, obviously, it allowed the offense to gash that D right up the middle with another run. But more importantly, it meant the DEs or OLBs would be split out and, thus, further away from Peyton Manning; allowing him just a little bit more time. That's Toom Moore's offense in a nutshell. Simple concepts. But ones that can be used at any time, and are frustrating to defend....until the offense simply cannot execute it on their own (see, 2008-11).

I've followed the Colts quite closely, and their system has been very, very RB friendly. As the team's lead back, Donald Brown somehow managed a 4.8 ypc last year, despite all the hardships you're claiming the RBs currently have. Mr. Addai ran for 3.7 during that same season.

Last edited:
Tough player who can help if healthy - just seems like he has been banged up for a few years and is not likely to be healthy.

I think this signing is insurance should 1 of Vareen and Ridley not work out as expected. Otherwise, I expect Addai to be a camp casualty.

I think this signing is insurance should 1 of Vareen and Ridley not work out as expected. Otherwise, I expect Addai to be a camp casualty.

I don't think we go into the season with only Ridley and Vereen plus Woodhead.
Addai, Bolden or someone else is making the team, or at least the ps, because we would be 1 injury away from activating the next man up.

Addai, Bolden or someone else is making the team, or at least the ps, because we would be 1 injury away from activating the next man up.
If both Vareen and Ridley have the goods then I don't see a problem keeping them along with Woodhead.

If an injury happens, a guy like Addai could be on speed dial or they could call up someone like Bolden from the PS.

My current roster has 3 RBs + 1 FB, with Bolden (or equivalent) on the PS. The Patriots only carried 3 RBs for years, and this roster seems to call for it.

My current roster has 3 RBs + 1 FB, with Bolden (or equivalent) on the PS. The Patriots only carried 3 RBs for years, and this roster seems to call for it.

To me, with Ridley moving into a much larger role than ever, Vereen coming off an injury filled season, and Woodhead a 3rd down back, I think this roster is screaming out for a 4th RB. If Vereen gets banged up, can we really go into a game with only Ridley and Woodhead? If Ridley gets banged up, then what?
Its been a while since we only carried 3 RBs, hasnt it?

Last edited by a moderator:
If both Vareen and Ridley have the goods then I don't see a problem keeping them along with Woodhead.

If an injury happens, a guy like Addai could be on speed dial or they could call up someone like Bolden from the PS.

I think that only having those 3 adds up to vital roles for all 3. Starter, backup/split time, 3rd down. I would not feel comfortable having no backups on the roster. Perhaps the practice squad works, since that guy would be inactve.

I think Addai is either picked up if we cut him, or he proved he is done. Unless he has nothing left, he will end up somewhere other than waiting by the phone hoping we call.

Its been a while since we only carried 3 RBs, hasnt it?

Not really; remember, we're talking about 3 RB + 1 FB. That's what they carried until 2009 -- notably including all of McDaniels' last tour of duty.

A lot of people are saying either Addai doesn't make the team or Woodhead is a surprise cut, but I think we'll probably just go without a FB again. The offense didn't really suffer when it went without one for the last 3 years (minus the 3 games that Polite was on the roster for). I can't see any of the RBs being cut, either.

Ridley and Vereen are locks for obvious reasons. I see what people are saying about Woodhead, about how Vereen's speed and Addai's catching/blocking make him obsolete, but I think the Patriots value him more than one might suspect. He played a lot of snaps at the expense of "better" running backs like Vereen. Addai will probably stay for his skill in the pass game and to provide a veteran presence. Trying to pass Bolden through waivers is far too risky.

I just feel like the odd ones out are the fullbacks in this offseason.

I've followed the Colts quite closely, and their system has been very, very RB friendly. As the team's lead back, Donald Brown somehow managed a 4.8 ypc last year, despite all the hardships you're claiming the RBs currently have. Mr. Addai ran for 3.7 during that same season.

Donald Brown also led college football in rushing a few years back I believe, he's not well known but he's not exactly a scrub, just saying.

Not really; remember, we're talking about 3 RB + 1 FB. That's what they carried until 2009 -- notably including all of McDaniels' last tour of duty.

Well, 3 years is kind of a long time.

Actually in 08 we had 4 plusw a FB. Maroney, Morris, Faulk, BJGE, then added Jordan when Maroney went on IR.
In 2007 we had Maroney, Morris, Faulk and Kyle Eckel plus a FB.
06 with Dillon, Maroney, Faulk and a FB is the last time we only carried 3 RBs.

I think it would be good to carry only 3 backs + 1 fb. We need the roster space for the Receivers of which we now have a bunch. I do not think we will injur 3 Rbs in one game. We could always move up Bolden from PS in case of injury or a free agent. Yes three years is a long time, but that is exactly how long its been since McDaniels was OC.

Actually in 08 we had 4 plusw a FB. Maroney, Morris, Faulk, BJGE, then added Jordan when Maroney went on IR.
In 2007 we had Maroney, Morris, Faulk and Kyle Eckel plus a FB.
06 with Dillon, Maroney, Faulk and a FB is the last time we only carried 3 RBs.

I'll grant you that 2008 is a confusing year to count RBs because there were a bunch of injuries, plus Faulk's suspension. I've lost track of the timing. But Eckel definitely began 2007 on the practice squad -- I believe he was only activated because Morris went down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back