PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Shuffle Roster, Release Price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Taylor Price Waived

One thing it does show is how unbelievably bad some of the posters here are at judging talent.

One thing it does show is how unbelievably bad some of the posters here are at judging talent.

Care to explain?

Is this BB playing harda$$ to make up for playing a softie last week by admitting he's hard to play for? That idea sounds nuts but how else could Price be cut without being given a real chance in a game? If he wasn't practicing hard enough I almost can't blame him since BB hasn't even thrown the kid a bone since camp. This hardline stuff works most of the time but that doesn't mean BB and Co. couldn't do a better job of building players (up) to where they get a shot. Oh wait, I know what happened: Price didn't go to Rutgers.

If Price blossoms somewhere else I'm going to spit, and so will Brady. Bet on it.

Last edited:

Is it that trading down is a bad idea or has been simply failed to pull the trigger on the right guys when he has traded down?

Good question, actually the trade down theory is probably a good idea for a team like the Panthers for example that have a boat-load of holes to fill. For this team that has the greatest QB in the history of football you needed to provide him with a legitimate pass rusher and a legitimate CB and a big time WR. You could have addressed these issues by staying put in the last 3 drafts. (Staying put and taking Matthews or Vontae Davis) (Staying put and draft a Dez Bryant), just to name a few. We still could have drafted Gronk, we didn't have to deal to down to accumulate picks to draft Gronk, we could have stayed put.

People give BB a ton of rope because of the success he's had regardless of the crap drafts he's given us. This QB is the reason for this success. This QB, the greatest to have ever put on pads is the reason why this team consistently finishes 14-2, 12-4 etc, etc. This QB does this "in spite" of the garbage drafts which is even all the more amazing and just adds to the greatness of Tom Brady.

Last edited:

There were/are a gigantic amount of Taylor Price fanboys on this board, and many of them still won't let go...it was a terrible pick at the time and it remains a terrible pick. Price is a bust, so the sooner the fanboys can admit it, the better for them to get over it.
I'd love to know why so many receivers, draftees and free agents, come to the Pats and just can't get it. Is it the same with other teams? I don't know the answer....some guys come in here, play well, and exceed expectations - Moss, Welker, Reche Caldwell, Gaffney....and other guys just can't do it - Donald Hayes, Galloway, Ochocinco (so far), Doug Gabriel.
I'll always remember Caldwell's catch down the sideline late against SD in the Divisional playoffs...one of my all-time underrated, under appreciated Patriots. Even though he was with the team for one season, he put together a very solid campaign and was the best of a pretty weak receiving corps....

With the receivers, why don't the Patriot draft someone that has a good production in college sustained over multiple years? This drafting on potential with little productions (C. Jackson, B, Johnson, B. Tate, T Price) is not working.

Belichick's drafting hasn't been worse. It's that Belichick's entire draft strategy FALLS APART if his 2nd rate coaching staff doesn't improve the players they bring in, like they used to be able to do.
Based on Belichick's grading system a 6 is a starter, let's say his value drafting brings in multiple guys rated below starter level but with potential. In the past a David Givens would have developed and become a starter because Brian Daboll and Charlie Weiss made him better every year. Now, we can bring in a Taylor Price in the 3rd round and he isn't getting the same coaching and improvement.

Belichick's drafting hasn't been worse. It's that Belichick's entire draft strategy FALLS APART if his 2nd rate coaching staff doesn't improve the players they bring in, like they used to be able to do.
Based on Belichick's grading system a 6 is a starter, let's say his value drafting brings in multiple guys rated below starter level but with potential. In the past a David Givens would have developed and become a starter because Brian Daboll and Charlie Weiss made him better every year. Now, we can bring in a Taylor Price in the 3rd round and he isn't getting the same coaching and improvement.

You cannot prove that this coaching staff cannot develop WRs. What you can prove is that they cannot draft WRs that evolve into quality NFL receivers who produce consistently. I state that as since Branch, there is no evidence of a drafted WR leaving Foxboro and becoming a quality WR somewhere else.

Since Weis & other offensive coaches left, the team has developed Gronk into the top TE in the NFL and Hernandez into a very, very good receiver (TE, WR, whatever).

Last edited:

Is this BB playing harda$$ to make up for playing a softie last week by admitting he's hard to play for? That idea sounds nuts but how else could Price be cut without being given a real chance in a game? If he wasn't practicing hard enough I almost can't blame him since BB hasn't even thrown the kid a bone since camp. This hardline stuff works most of the time but that doesn't mean BB and Co. couldn't do a better job of building players (up) to where they get a shot. Oh wait, I know what happened: Price didn't go to Rutgers.

And you have watched every practice to confirm that Price has been lighting it up but still not being given a chance? You are making a judgment based on incomplete information. Of course I had hope for price, but it looks like he's just another in a long line of unsuccessful Pats WR draft picks. We don't get the Laurent Robinsons or the Mike Wallaces, instead we get the Brandon Tates and Taylor Prices.

Is it scouting, is it development, is it the system, or is it all the above? Hard to say but I doubt this kid is a standout in practice or he would get his shot. For goodness sake, BB was willing to start Ihedigbo and play Underwood. I very much doubt he plays favorites or cares what school our players went to 4 years ago.

AJ Smith comes to mind

GOD No.

How many 1st rounder bust does he have?

I count atleast 3. English, Buster Davis, Antoiwan Cason. Crow Daddy did not do well in SD. Shawn Merrriam burned out.

Shawn Merrriam...heh...looks like the dictionary gained an extra "r"....where's Corrrey Webster?

Prediction: We will eventually learn that Price was a problem child in some way.

Not that it will be some smear campaign...just that the truth will leak out that this wasn't just based on lack of ability or health.

No inside poop here. Just a strong gut that Taylor Price is a bad seed.

And you have watched every practice to confirm that Price has been lighting it up but still not being given a chance? You are making a judgment based on incomplete information. Of course I had hope for price, but it looks like he's just another in a long line of unsuccessful Pats WR draft picks. We don't get the Laurent Robinsons or the Mike Wallaces, instead we get the Brandon Tates and Taylor Prices.

Is it scouting, is it development, is it the system, or is it all the above? Hard to say but I doubt this kid is a standout in practice or he would get his shot. For goodness sake, BB was willing to start Ihedigbo and play Underwood. I very much doubt he plays favorites or cares what school our players went to 4 years ago.

This is a good point you're making. The best clues we have, I think, is in this post by Reiss:

"I just think, with all those guys at that position, it's how you practice, how you study, the opponent and our game plan, then being able to go out on the practice field and do it consistently every day," said O'Brien. "I think all those guys try to do that and try to be consistent and that’s why it’s been a pretty good position for us this year. Taylor is trying to fit into that position and he’s working at it and hopefully he’ll get there."

O'Brien: Price is 'trying to fit in' - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Which, if you read between the lines, seem to suggest that Price was not being sharp in practice, and may have been continually making mental mistakes such as ending up in the wrong place, or taking the wrong route or simply not lining up correctly. The fact that BOB says "do it consistently every day" seems to be a strong indicator of that- that Price just wasn't putting in enough work to really get this offense into his system, or just wasn't applying all that work and study onto the field as far as implementing the installed offense for whichever week.

Care to explain?

I have been listening to some of the posters for the last 3 months go on about how amazing this jag is. Now he is on the street, is that a simple enough explanation?

If Price blossoms somewhere else I'm going to spit, and so will Brady. Bet on it.

I have no idea what you are saying here. You are just rambling on with no idea what you are talking about, it is really too bad there isn't a dislike button.

The word is that Brady and Price never hit it off (whatever that means).
Per Mike Reiss this morning:
2. I’d be surprised if former Patriots receiver Taylor Price isn’t claimed on waivers, mainly because a lot of teams liked his athleticism coming out of Ohio. A team looking to the future which had a high grade on him in the 2010 draft makes sense, which puts the likes of Miami, Jacksonville and Carolina on the radar. As for what happened in New England, I don’t think Tom Brady ever fully embraced Price. It never clicked between them, from Price’s first day on the practice field in spring camps.
Maybe TB is super-choosy as to who he wants to work with. It came down to the greatest model in the world when he chose a life partner. Who knows…but it looks like we've been wasting over a year waiting for Price to blossom when his own QB did not ever "embrace" him. I wonder if we were in 2008 and if Matt Cassel and Price have hit it off and the momentum would have carried to success with Brady?
Quick-hit thoughts around NFL & Pats - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Everyone realizes that Ohio University is different than Ohio State University, right?

I do not want the Patriots to draft a wide receiver anytime soon, seems like this system is so mentally demanding, everything you heard about Price coming out shined in a bad offense was good at x's and o's willing blocker, good hands, needed some coaching that's the only negative i heard he wasn't polished, I do not want to spend any higher than a 5th at wide receiver from here on out.
I believe a wide receiver we should target is Brandon Royal from the Denver
broncos and excelled under Mcdaniels coaching and scheme. reminds me of a younger deion branch with his quickness i'd offer denver a 5th for him he could be at the very worst if we resign welker would be as high as a third or fourth option on this offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes