Patriots Safety Position, Team May Stand Pat With Duron Harmon

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
By:

will they stick with Harmon whom they thought enough of to draft in the 3rd round last season and who played a significant amount of snaps (433) as a rookie...

I cannot see any such scenario where the team moves forward with Harmon. He was solid as a rookie but he did not flash anything to suggest he could start at the NFL level; fact is Tavon Wilson was more impressive in his rookie season than Harmon and we saw how that translated in year two.

I cannot see any such scenario where the team moves forward with Harmon. He was solid as a rookie but he did not flash anything to suggest he could start at the NFL level; fact is Tavon Wilson was more impressive in his rookie season than Harmon and we saw how that translated in year two.

Tavon had more INTs, but he also got burned far more often. Harmon in extremely limited time, never looked out of place or got obviously beaten badly. He seemed to have solid instincts.

Again, that's in very limited snaps where he was likely protected by part of the scheme. I don't expect him to be the answer this year next to McCourty. If they don't add a piece at safety I'll be legitimately shocked.

I just want to pul a solid hitter back there with mccourty. We are close to a fearsome secondary. But we still need those pieces

I just want to pul a solid hitter back there with mccourty. We are close to a fearsome secondary. But we still need those pieces
I'm hoping they end up with Ward in FA or Calvin Pryor in the draft, somehow.

So, we are close if we sign one of the top corners in the league and a really good starting safety who can hit.

I agree that we are TWO top starters away from a being a fearsome secondary. Somehow that doesn't bring much comfort or confidence.

Bare minimum the Pats bring in a low to mid level FA to compete for the position and likely additionally add another player through the draft. I don't expect a blockbuster acquisition but it's also never been Bill's style to stand pat. Even when the DL was at it's peak with Warren, VW and Seymour they drafted Marquise Hill in the second round as one example.

I certainly hope not.

Really sucks T Wilson hasn't work out. He has the body and athleticism to be a monster SS.

As much as I wanted an upgrade from Gregory, I'm not sure that Harmon is the answer. There is not enough body of work to conclude that he will be an upgrade. I question that when Gregory came back from injury last year, why didn't Harmon stay in the starting line-up if he is the better option. Are they hoping for the year 1 to year 2 jump? We didn't get it with Tavon Wilson. I would definitely look at the draft or bringing in a free agent. I would also like to get more physical back there, bring in a little intimidation.

As much as I wanted an upgrade from Gregory, I'm not sure that Harmon is the answer. There is not enough body of work to conclude that he will be an upgrade. I question that when Gregory came back from injury last year, why didn't Harmon stay in the starting line-up if he is the better option. Are they hoping for the year 1 to year 2 jump? We didn't get it with Tavon Wilson. I would definitely look at the draft or bringing in a free agent. I would also like to get more physical back there, bring in a little intimidation.

He didn't stay in the line-up because the team wasn't impressed enough with what they saw to put him in there instead of Gregory (who himself is ideally a 2nd stringer). That should tell you about all you need to know of Harmon's performance his rookie year. Harmon, at least IMO, is a back-up to McCourty and that's about it. The team needs a starter opposite McCourty that can instill some fear in the opposing offense's slot receivers and TE's. We haven't had that since the days of Rodney.

If your analysis is correct, then the team needs a starting strong safety and a backup strong safety.

If your analysis is correct, it was certainly wrong to cut Gregory before we had replacements in place. We certainly don't need the immediate cap room. If we did, then we could have cut Gregory at that time.

He didn't stay in the line-up because the team wasn't impressed enough with what they saw to put him in there instead of Gregory (who himself is ideally a 2nd stringer). That should tell you about all you need to know of Harmon's performance his rookie year. Harmon, at least IMO, is a back-up to McCourty and that's about it. The team needs a starter opposite McCourty that can instill some fear in the opposing offense's slot receivers and TE's. We haven't had that since the days of Rodney.

If your analysis is correct, it was certainly wrong to cut Gregory before we had replacements in place.

No, it wasn't. It makes little difference whether the team replaces Gregory while he's on the roster or after he's been cut.

IMHO, this is the worst analysis of the year.

IMHO, it makes a HUGE difference whether you try to upgrade a position when a player is on the squad or when you have no one at that position. Adrian Wilson is now our strong safety and Tavon Wilson is the backup. PERHAPS, we will be able sign better, but there are no guarantees in free agency or the draft. It is almost always better to keep the player under contract until the replacement is in place.

No, it wasn't. It makes little difference whether the team replaces Gregory while he's on the roster or after he's been cut.

By:

will they stick with Harmon whom they thought enough of to draft in the 3rd round last season and who played a significant amount of snaps (433) as a rookie...

Why?
IF WE ARE A FEW PIECES AWAY FROM ANOTHER LEGIT SHOT AT A RING, DOES ANYONE THINK WE SAW ENOUGH OF HARMON TO PUT OUR FEET UP ON THE DESK AND SAY WE ARE ALL SET AT SAFETY SO BRING ON THE SUPER BOWL?
We all said Gregory was bad. Duron could not beat out Gregory and we agree BB lets the better player play rookie or not. He did beat out the more heralded Tavon Wilson for second Team.

DW toys

If your analysis is correct, then the team needs a starting strong safety and a backup strong safety.

If your analysis is correct, it was certainly wrong to cut Gregory before we had replacements in place. We certainly don't need the immediate cap room. If we did, then we could have cut Gregory at that time.

Hopefully they have a replacement in mind, either through FA or the draft and haven't fully come to terms with said replacement yet. It also wouldn't surprise me to see a move made at the safety position without a viable replacement in mind. We've seen that movie before and it ended with Eli going 30-40 and taking his team downfield for the game winning touchdown.

I agree 100% with your analysis, especially with regard to the last time Belichick used this tactic.

There is no guarantee that a particular player or players will be available in free agency or the draft. Even if there were collusion and the team KNEW who they could sign, it would have been prudent to wait until next week to cut Gregory.

Hopefully they have a replacement in mind, either through FA or the draft and haven't fully come to terms with said replacement yet. It also wouldn't surprise me to see a move made at the safety position without a viable replacement in mind. We've seen that movie before and it ended with Eli going 30-40 and taking his team downfield for the game winning touchdown.

IMHO, this is the worst analysis of the year.

IMHO, it makes a HUGE difference whether you try to upgrade a position when a player is on the squad or when you have no one at that position. Adrian Wilson is now our strong safety and Tavon Wilson is the backup. PERHAPS, we will be able sign better, but there are no guarantees in free agency or the draft. It is almost always better to keep the player under contract until the replacement is in place.

With due respect I feel the same way about this post.

First, there's no indication whether or not Adrian Wilson would be the starting safety.

Second, clearly the Patriots didn't want Gregory on the roster, either as a starter or a backup. Given that fact the sequencing is of little significance. They weren't keeping him around regardless of whom they eventually sign, if anyone.

right now without knowing what will happen with Kelly and wilfork the pats have no inside pass rush average at best coverage LB's and no lock down CB's I don't see how they could stand pat with Duron Harmon and not be a bottom 20's defense again

Yes, we would likely be a bottom 20 defense if we lost Talib, Wilfork, Kelly, Spikes and Gregory without replacement. NO ONE has suggested that this will happen.

So, yes, we start out with a bottom 20 defense if five of our defensive starters do not come back and are not replaced.

right now without knowing what will happen with Kelly and wilfork the pats have no inside pass rush average at best coverage LB's and no lock down CB's I don't see how they could stand pat with Duron Harmon and not be a bottom 20's defense again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes