PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Safety Position, Team May Stand Pat With Duron Harmon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The strong safety problem

Gregory was cut, Adrian Wilson is washed up, the young Tavon Wilson hasn't played very much.

Who do you think will be the starter next to McCourty? Harmon? Or Browner in a role like the one Belichick envisioned for Tank Williams/McGowan etc...

What do you think?

How do Browner's measurables compare with those of Tebucky Jones?

My guess is that the Patriots are going to spend most of the game in sub-packages with McCourty, Revis, Browner, Dennard always on the field, with a mix of Ryan, Harmon and Arrington playing.

McCourty is locked in at FS, Revis at CB, but you can see Dennard in the slot and at CB, Browner at CB and inside.

Forget about old defensive backfield designations. Belichick is simply going to throw out defenders with only McCourty making sure the cap is on.

Harmon has more upside than Tavon. Too soon to tell, but so far Tavon looks like another 2nd round bust.

Why is a traditional every-down SS needed in such a pass-heavy league?

The starting defense boasts arguably the best CB in the game, another top 10 corner who is physical as hell and a top 3 FS. Throw in Collins who played some safety in college. I'd say the pass coverage is fine.

I'm thinking that adding Revis allows McCourty to lean the other way (helping Dennard/Browner/Ryan), which means they can actually play more blitz/STRONG safety than we've seen in years.

Which means I'll believe Adrian Wilson is "washed up" when he's cut and not before. The guy's a powerhouse, but doesn't have the range needed to take on FS duties. The Pats maneuvers mean he won't have to.

I expect to see Harmon on the field a lot next to McCourty, some 3 CB sets with Revis/Browner/Dennard/Ryan, and some powerhouse sets with Adrian Wilson and/or Jamie Collins blitzing/patrolling the box in the middle. Welker tries to pick off Adrian Wilson and he'll get lit up x 10.

The starting defense boasts arguably the best CB in the game, another top 10 corner who is physical as hell and a top 3 FS. Throw in Collins who played some safety in college. I'd say the pass coverage is fine.

All set with seeing Collins playing that far away from the LOS.

Count me in as one of those guys that wants to see Collins unleashed. I could see Collins being the 10+ sacks guy this season that everyone wants us to spend in FA.

Use Collins leaping prowess to launch over center on the snap and drill the "Forehead" in the forehead. That is all.

That is what I am thinking too.

I think we are done with the backfield. BB has what he needs now.

I would be surprised if we see cover 2 being the default coverage, this coming fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes