PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots are signing Patrick Chung

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to remember the specifics on how Chung was when he was here. I thought he was good for one season then he kept getting hurt and ended up being demoted to 2nd string at one point. I thought he did well in that Super Bowl though

Other than the Dolphins game in early 2010 he's most notable for taking out Hakeem Nicks in the Superbowl. We woulda lost by at least two TDs in that game otherwise - Nicks wasn't the same the rest of the game.

In a nutshell: has talent and playmaking instinct, but totally fragile and totally unsuited to deep safety coverage.

Whether it's Ryan to safety, drafting a safety high, or finding a safety somewhere in FA (maybe post-draft), there's got to be more to come. Harmon/Chung/Wilson/Ebner isn't a crime against humanity, but it's a horrible safety group to have behind McCourty.

I think it is a crime against humanity.

None of them offer starting capacity worth a damn, even though Harmon warrants a longer look and could have a nice second year leap. If Belichick feels as though Harmon has already earned the starting spot opposite of McCourty, that's not only a major roll of the dice for a couple reasons, but it also leaves no one but special teamers behind him.

Belichick passed on a lot of vets that were relatively cheap in free agency, so I think the plan is to add a higher draft pick myself. As you said, the possibility exists of adding Logan Ryan to the mix as well. Obviously there's a plan, so it's likely one of the two--if not both options.

I'd be happy with not only giving Ryan a shot at safety, but also bringing in a top 1-4 round safety again. This time with better results. I think that could change things dramatically.

As far as Patrick Chung goes, he could be nothing more than camp fodder, or he could make it as a ST only player. Let's just hope we don't see him on the field in too many real defensive situations.

Something will have to give. As of now, our #3 and #4 safeties don't belong on NFL rosters, while our #2 safety is an unknown 2nd year player.

McCourty-great, nearly elite player
Harmon-unknown
Chung-sucks
Wilson-sucks

WalterFootball.com: 2014 NFL Free Agent Tracker - Safeties

Considering Gregory is pretty much the best free agent safety available, I doubt our upgrade is coming through FA. I really don't want another highly drafted safety.

Something will have to give. As of now, our #3 and #4 safeties don't belong on NFL rosters, while our #2 safety is an unknown 2nd year player.

Harmon-unknown
Chung-sucks
Wilson-sucks

Considering Gregory is pretty much the best free agent safety available, I doubt our upgrade is coming through FA. I really don't want another highly drafted safety.

Draft wise if Calvin Pryor falls down to somewhere in the early-mid 20's, I would make a move to trade up and go get him. Same goes to Clinton-Dix though I highly doubt he falls past the top 15. If they're gone, then no I would not draft a safety in round one or really at all for that matter.

Now if that's the case, I know many have stated otherwise, but I think Browner or Ryan could both be candidates to make a switch over to safety at some point if not much promise is being shown out of Harmon. I still think Browner would be an excellent fit at the thumper SS role.

Harmon-unknown
Chung-sucks
Wilson-sucks

Draft wise if Calvin Pryor falls down to somewhere in the early-mid 20's, I would make a move to trade up and go get him. Same goes to Clinton-Dix though I highly doubt he falls past the top 15. If they're gone, then no I would not draft a safety in round one or really at all for that matter.

Now if that's the case, I know many have stated otherwise, but I think Browner or Ryan could both be candidates to make a switch over to safety at some point if not much promise is being shown out of Harmon. I still think Browner would be an excellent fit at the thumper SS role.
I'm leaning toward trading up for Pryor if he's in a slot available to the Patriots. I like Harmon but Pryor is a bruiser and the Patriots need one of those to compliment McCourty's range. That said, if Pryor isn't available I'd be happy for the Patriots to strengthen the DL rotation with Tuitt.

Didn't Chung call that play himself? I thought he said that it was his call after the game.

Yes he did.

At least Gregory was good once in a while.

SS types who are also good cover men are few and far between. Give me another coverage safety or a bigger CB convert. Pryor is certainly not the answer if better coverage is what we want, he plays like Merriwether 2.0.

SS types who are also good cover men are few and far between. Give me another coverage safety or a bigger CB convert. Pryor is certainly not the answer if better coverage is what we want, he plays like Merriwether 2.0.

Most of the safety's coming out this year have Merriwetheresq qualities. I am pretty high on Deone Bucannon, from watching some youtube stuff. Then someone said he had Merriwether tendencies, so I pulled up the Oregon Vs WSH ST game on my PVR(I am a huge Oregon fan). And yup, similar tendencies(Still upset about leach throwing it 80 times and Oregon not covering that game).

Honestly, I just want the Pats to draft a Center early, that's all I really want. I am pretty cool with the Db's and the WR the Pats have going into camp.

Even if Chung somehow steps up in camp and wins a #3 safety role, he'll be on the field more for special teams, which would indicate that perhaps his capabilities in those roles should be more our focus. And from what's said here and elsewhere, he's very good in those roles. So why the fuss?

And I will go on record here as saying that nobody, ever, who makes an NFL roster, "sucks" as a football player. They are, by definition, one of the best in the world at what they do, which puts them professionally ahead of 99% of those of us posting on this board (in our respective professions and vocations).

Q1
Is Chung a better SS than one of Tavon Wilson or Ebner?

Q2
Is Chung a comperable special teamer to Wilson and Ebner?

As of now, we will keep all five. It seems very possible that Chung could beat one of the two out even if someone else is the #3 safety (e.g. Ryan or Gregory).

Chung was given a bonus of $60K, surely a reasonable amount for someone who might make the squad and might reasonably expected to beat out one of THREE of the current five safeties (Wilson, Ebner, Davis).

Even if Chung somehow steps up in camp and wins a #3 safety role, he'll be on the field more for special teams, which would indicate that perhaps his capabilities in those roles should be more our focus. And from what's said here and elsewhere, he's very good in those roles. So why the fuss?

And I will go on record here as saying that nobody, ever, who makes an NFL roster, "sucks" as a football player. They are, by definition, one of the best in the world at what they do, which puts them professionally ahead of 99% of those of us posting on this board (in our respective professions and vocations).

I don't exactly see how this is a crime against humanity. I also don't know what you expected to happen in the off-season.

#1 McCourty

#2 and #3 - Harmon and Ryan (or draftee)

#4 and #5: two of Wilson, Ebner, Chung, Davis or draftee (and no, we don't expect to see the #4 safety playing much on defense, unless there are two injuries). I recall bringing in Ihedigbo as a special teamer. Folks thought he was awful. He was, as a starter. However, he was brought in as a special teamer, as Chung was. Personally, I would rather have Chung playing than Wilson or Ebner.
=======================

And yes, there is still the possibility of bringing back Gregory, now that he has found out his worth on the open market. Gregory is certainly a reasonable backup.
=======================

We will all have our fights over the draft board. Of course, no one will be happy unless we draft a stud all-pro in the 1st round at SS, DE, TE, OG AND LB. Of course, the draft doesn't work that way.

So, yeah, we need a top draftee at safety, and I would be fine with a first rounder. I just don't expect us to draft a safety in the first three rounds.

I think it is a crime against humanity.

None of them offer starting capacity worth a damn, even though Harmon warrants a longer look and could have a nice second year leap. If Belichick feels as though Harmon has already earned the starting spot opposite of McCourty, that's not only a major roll of the dice for a couple reasons, but it also leaves no one but special teamers behind him.

Belichick passed on a lot of vets that were relatively cheap in free agency, so I think the plan is to add a higher draft pick myself. As you said, the possibility exists of adding Logan Ryan to the mix as well. Obviously there's a plan, so it's likely one of the two--if not both options.

I'd be happy with not only giving Ryan a shot at safety, but also bringing in a top 1-4 round safety again. This time with better results. I think that could change things dramatically.

As far as Patrick Chung goes, he could be nothing more than camp fodder, or he could make it as a ST only player. Let's just hope we don't see him on the field in too many real defensive situations.

Chung sucks at football at the professional level of the NFL. Happy? :D

My preference for safety would be to move Ryan or Arrington at S rather than draft one. Granted, I still don't know much about Pryor, but draft forum guru Manx is strongly not in favor of him, so I'll roll with that opinion for now. Trading up or drafting another safety at 29 IMO is a waste of draft capital in a very deep draft anyway.

I'm still not sure why BB hasn't given Arrington a shot at safety. He is a solid hitter/tackler for a CB and is better in zone coverage than man.

Belichick isn't giving Arrington "a shot" at safety because he believes that Arrington is one of the best nickel backs in the NFL, and pays him that way.

That being said, Arrington could move instead of Ryan. I suspect that both will be tried out in camp.

Chung sucks at football at the professional level of the NFL. Happy? :D

My preference for safety would be to move Ryan or Arrington at S rather than draft one. Granted, I still don't know much about Pryor, but draft forum guru Manx is strongly not in favor of him, so I'll roll with that opinion for now. Trading up or drafting another safety at 29 IMO is a waste of draft capital in a very deep draft anyway.

I'm still not sure why BB hasn't given Arrington a shot at safety. He is a solid hitter/tackler for a CB and is better in zone coverage than man.

Well now that Patrick Chung is a Patriot, maybe Belichick can find a way to utilize the strengths he does have. Even if his strengths may be few and far between.

Not remotely close to a Chung fan, however, he won't be paired with Ihedigbo/Merriweather now, he'll be paired (If he sees the field, I don't think he will) with one of the best free safeties in the league, completely altering his role and allowing him to play to his strengths.

I haven't read a ton of the thread, so I'm assuming I'm not the first to point this out.

Not remotely close to a Chung fan, however, he won't be paired with Ihedigbo/Merriweather now, he'll be paired (If he sees the field, I don't think he will) with one of the best free safeties in the league, completely altering his role and allowing him to play to his strengths.

I haven't read a ton of the thread, so I'm assuming I'm not the first to point this out.

This is an important point that is getting overlooked. Chung got burned a lot. At the time he was playing for New England, the entire secondary was getting toasted on the regular. His weaknesses wont be as glaring because the defense is a lot better this time around. Plus he wont play much if at all.

Haven't bothered to read through the whole thread.

The re-signing of Patrick Chung is a low risk signing. He got 60K for a signing bonus. He's be in camp to try and make the team as a special teamer to possibly replace the loss of Dane Fletcher.

That's about it. I don't expect him to be a starter. He'll be an emergency back-up behind Harmon. That's about it..

Haven't bothered to read through the whole thread.

The re-signing of Patrick Chung is a low risk signing. He got 60K for a signing bonus. He's be in camp to try and make the team as a special teamer to possibly replace the loss of Dane Fletcher.

That's about it. I don't expect him to be a starter. He'll be an emergency back-up behind Harmon. That's about it..

Exactly.

If he even makes the team, which is no sure thing.

If he does fine--I just don't want to see him forced out there in real defensive situations too often. I'd like more talent and depth at the position myself, although many of us could say that about positions that we see as weak.

If L.Ryan gets a shot and a higher round pick is chosen, it's a whole new ballgame though.

I don't exactly see how this is a crime against humanity.

It was a sarcastic comment meant for Deus, since he claimed that "it wasn't exactly a crime against humanity." I wasn't being serious.

I also don't know what you expected to happen in the off-season.

Well, just off the top of my head I would guess improvement at the position like we see with many other areas. Why wouldn't the offseason lead to addressing a weak situation? We've seen the offseason used to address areas of weakness in the majority of instances in all 32 NFL cities. I don't think they should wait until training camp, if that's what you're suggesting.

Instead, we saw a significantly weaker unit, not even status quo--which is exactly why a top 1-4 round draft pick should be used in my opinion.

Harmon-unknown
Chung-sucks
Wilson-sucks

Q1
Is Chung a better SS than one of Tavon Wilson or Ebner?

Q2
Is Chung a comperable special teamer to Wilson and Ebner?

As of now, we will keep all five. It seems very possible that Chung could beat one of the two out even if someone else is the #3 safety (e.g. Ryan or Gregory).

Chung was given a bonus of $60K, surely a reasonable amount for someone who might make the squad and might reasonably expected to beat out one of THREE of the current five safeties (Wilson, Ebner, Davis).

So, basically it's Devin McCourty coming off of shoulder surgery (not that it should be a concern, but it should be noted regardless) and a bunch of nothing....

Looks like a pretty obvious area of weakness to me. I actually see it as the weakest position of the entire team. It's McCourty, a rookie we're hopeful on that looked mediocre and who we have no idea about, and a handful of guys who will battle it out for special teams roles.

God help us if something happens to McCourty. That new CB situation will look a lot different if Harmon and T.Wilson (or Chung) are out there for any significant period. I think we all know how important it is to have some kind of viable safety play, as the two secondary positions obviously go hand in hand.

Belichick passed on a ton of reasonably priced safeties this FA period, so obviously he has a plan. What that plan is--no one knows yet. I'm sure it'll look much different in a couple of months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back