PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots are signing Patrick Chung

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not as high on Harmon's rookie season as some others here. That said, I think he looked a lot more competent than Chung did in his previous season here. He took better angles and was much more solid in coverage for the most part. I still hope we draft a bigger SS/LB hybrid like Shazier or KPL, though.

I agree, and that's part of why I'm not high on Chung in any kind of a rotational role. It's not a disaster to have him be your big-hitting, can't-cover safety--he's adequate in that role, and he's even (inconsistently) demonstrated the ability to stick with TEs in coverage--but if you're looking for a big hitter and you're willing to cede coverage ability, I would rather the Pats go for someone much bigger than Chung. A 210 pound SS/LB hybrid is a liability, IMO.

Apparently Jim's comment that Chung is an improvement over Tavon Wilson or Ebner seems like resounding support.

Funny, I haven't seen a post in support of Chung.

Chung will compete with adrian wilson for the 4th safety spot and may end up edging out tavon wilson on special teams. It's really the only way he'll make the team.

Looking closer at the contract signed by Patriots safety Patrick Chung:

Term: 1 year
Base salary: $740,000
Signing bonus: $60,000
Workout bonus: $60,000
Roster bonus: $240,000 ($15,000 per game based on being on 46-man roster)
Salary-cap charge: $1.04 million

Patrick Chung contract details - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN

So Chung is going to compete with the two other safeties/special teams mavens who aren't particularly good at playing safety. Seems legit.

The minimum would've been better.

740k is the minimum. And since the Roster Bonus requires him to actually make the team and be active on gameday all 16 weeks, we're talking about 120k in bonuses prior to that. We're really gonna start caring about 120k?

740k is the minimum. And since the Roster Bonus requires him to actually make the team and be active on gameday all 16 weeks, we're talking about 120k in bonuses prior to that. We're really gonna start caring about 120k?

Minimum is 715k I believe and his cap hit is 1m total

Not a big deal, but would've been better.

Posted in the FA thread but:
Breaking news from...the man himself.

Adrian Wilson ‏@adrian_wilson24 6m
Can't make the club in the tub

Adrian Wilson ‏@adrian_wilson24 1m
Thankyou to the Patriots organization for the opportunity. I look forward to the future.

Might explain Chung a little more.

I'm trying to remember the specifics on how Chung was when he was here. I thought he was good for one season then he kept getting hurt and ended up being demoted to 2nd string at one point. I thought he did well in that Super Bowl though

I'm trying to remember the specifics on how Chung was when he was here. I thought he was good for one season then he kept getting hurt and ended up being demoted to 2nd string at one point. I thought he did well in that Super Bowl though

Good hitter for his size
Can't cover a dead man in a phone booth
Takes a lot of bad angles
Another member of the glass menagerie

He'd be a fine backup safety if they outlawed the forward pass. If they don't do that, and he's on the field for real play, he's a disaster waiting to strike.*

*Yes, theoretically, he could improve greatly over the course of a couple of months, even at this point in his career.

what has tavon Wilson done to make people think hes better than chung?

The minimum would've been better.

Minimum contract means the Patriots can't renegotiate his deal until the next free agency period.

If he does well in whatever role they want him in, they'd no doubt like the have that option. He's still pretty young.

With the release of Adrian Wilson, it currently looks to me like Chung and Tavon Wilson are going to be fighting it out for the in-the-box SS role. Chung is more of a hitter and Wilson is more of a man-cover guy. Harmon seems more like a deep Cover 2 guy.

We'll see what the Pats end up drafting.

what has tavon Wilson done to make people think hes better than chung?

Pats lose cap if they cut him this year I believe. But he is next in line to be cut. We need a safety in the draft as well to compete with Harmon unless Logan Ryan is moving to safety. Hopefully not he is a good corner. Tavon,Chung,Ebner are special teamers

There's got to be another shoe to drop. Adding Browner and Revis don't really make sense if you're just going to deliberately make your safety play weaker against the pass, because you're probably going to be playing a whole lot of man, and your main competitors (Colts/Bengals/Broncos) in the conference will find the stiffs in the secondary*.

Whether it's Ryan to safety, drafting a safety high, or finding a safety somewhere in FA (maybe post-draft), there's got to be more to come. Harmon/Chung/Wilson/Ebner isn't a crime against humanity, but it's a horrible safety group to have behind McCourty.

*Ok, Dalton might not find them.

If he beats out everyone in camp and sees significant playing time.... what's to worry about? You'd be playing your best players.

If he sucks, he won't get playing time. It's that simple. Not a case where we traded a bunch for a stiff that will get obligatory playing time due to sunken costs (something Bill wouldn't do anyway).

Minimum contract means the Patriots can't renegotiate his deal until the next free agency period.

If he does well in whatever role they want him in, they'd no doubt like the have that option. He's still pretty young.

With the release of Adrian Wilson, it currently looks to me like Chung and Tavon Wilson are going to be fighting it out for the in-the-box SS role. Chung is more of a hitter and Wilson is more of a man-cover guy. Harmon seems more like a deep Cover 2 guy.

We'll see what the Pats end up drafting.

I'm officially team Tavon now. We have seen the Chung movie before, no thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes