PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots and Gronk agree to 6year/$54 Million Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gronk makes a major purchase after signing his new contract. He says, "Now I'm set for life!"

Last edited:
In my opinion the best offensive players (non-QBs) in the NFL are Calvin Johnson and Rob Gronkowski. Compared to Johnson's contract, the Patriots got Gronk for peanuts.

If you look at the yards per target (attempted pass to each player), Gronk is pretty close to Johnson, and in addition, he's a phenomenal blocker. I'd probably take Johnson by a hair overall, but it's close. While Johnson is a marvel, Gronkowski may be just as good at dominating a game and forcing defenses to double and triple team him.

Anyone who thinks Gronk is merely among the elite tight ends in the NFL is misguided. Jimmy Graham had 20 more targets last season, can't block, and plays in a dome with a bunch of stars who stretch the field.

In conclusion, I don't think there's anyone in the NFL that's close to Johnson and Gronk, as they are in a class by themselves.

Regardless of what the Pats do with Welker, he is aging. Welker, Gaffney, Branch, Lloyd, and Stallworth are all old men in WR receiver years. I think developing a couple of young WRs has to be top priority in the next two years.

Regardless of what the Pats do with Welker, he is aging. Welker, Gaffney, Branch, Lloyd, and Stallworth are all old men in WR receiver years. I think developing a couple of young WRs has to be top priority in the next two years.

I think they may have started already with this Jeremy Ebert guy. The more I read about him, the more I think he may give some guys on this roster a run for their money--if not this year, then certainly next.

Did we say this about Tate? Did we say it about Price? They were considered by all to be much better prospects than Ebert.

This "Jeremy Ebert" guy may or may not make the Practice Squad. To make the 53-man squad he would need to beat out TWO of Stallworth, Branch and Edelman. It's just not happening.

I think they may have started already with this Jeremy Ebert guy. The more I read about him, the more I think he may give some guys on this roster a run for their money--if not this year, then certainly next.

Last edited:
Love this megadeal! Pats identified a franchise player and locked him in long term! Here's to 8 more smashingly fun years of Gronk! What a move! And they said the Pats don't pay their players! They do, oh they certainly do. But you gotta be worth the dineros!

Did we say this about Tate? Did we say it about Price? They were considered by all to be much better prospects than Ebert.

This "Jeremy Ebert" guy may or may not make the Practice Squad. To make the 53-man squad he would need to beat out TWO of Stallworth, Branch and Edelman. It's just not happening.

Can't agree more. We're talking about arguably the most essential part of the modern day NFL in a WR corps. I don't think the Pats are going all-in on some seventh round pick.

The Patriots might be thinking that they can't risk drafting more WR busts right now, and they might be thinking that 30-40M for Welker might be better used for a younger free agent WR, or a couple of second tier WRs that Brady could make better. They must be feeling the pressure to get younger there.

The last good WR we drafted was Branch... TEN years ago!!! That is a position we've had plenty of success building through free agency.

Last edited:
Fantastic news. Gronk may end up being my favorite Patriot ever. I love watching the kid play.

I think Mario Williams was the ideal addition to the Bills, given the prior state of their pass rush and the strength of their DTs.

I am unfamiliar, however, with any comments I may have made on this board about him being worth 15 trillion dollars. In fact, I'm confident I never opined on what I thought that particular player was worth at any dollar value.

The bottom line for me is he was going to cost any team what the Bills paid. Someone was going to have to pay the $96 MM if they wanted him. Nothing more than the cost of doing business.

I suspect folks will always say "he never played up to the contract" by the time it runs out. They will prolly be right, not many players live up to those types of deals.

I will humor you, however, and say that even if he doesn't get 12 sacks a year for the next 6 years, you can bet that his presence will allow the interior of the Bills DL to shine more than they would have with Chris Kelsay and Spencer Johnson or Alex Carrington at DE. Dareus and Kyle Williams are gonna be a heavy load for any OL to handle with Mario in town.

In the meantime, can you do me a quick favor and link the post where I said he was "worth" what the Bills paid for his services?

*edit - crap, meant to quote Ice Ice Brady's comment and failed. Not trying to hijack the thread.

I think Mario Williams was the ideal addition to the Bills, given the prior state of their pass rush and the strength of their DTs.

I am unfamiliar, however, with any comments I may have made on this board about him being worth 15 trillion dollars. In fact, I'm confident I never opined on what I thought that particular player was worth at any dollar value.

The bottom line for me is he was going to cost any team what the Bills paid. Someone was going to have to pay the $96 MM if they wanted him. Nothing more than the cost of doing business.

I suspect folks will always say "he never played up to the contract" by the time it runs out. They will prolly be right, not many players live up to those types of deals.

I will humor you, however, and say that even if he doesn't get 12 sacks a year for the next 6 years, you can bet that his presence will allow the interior of the Bills DL to shine more than they would have with Chris Kelsay and Spencer Johnson or Alex Carrington at DE. Dareus and Kyle Williams are gonna be a heavy load for any OL to handle with Mario in town.

In the meantime, can you do me a quick favor and link the post where I said he was "worth" what the Bills paid for his services?

*edit - crap, meant to quote Ice Ice Brady's comment and failed. Not trying to hijack the thread.

I was just ribbing you anyway. I respect your opinions on this board, but I'm just having some fun. The Bills desperately needed some excitement for their franchise, and there are definitely worse investments with more risk (Redskins,- Albert Haynesworth comes to mind.)

Honestly, I'm not looking forward to seeing a 35-year quarterback, whose health is the lifeblood of our franchise, facing 3rd and 13 against that defensive line in Orchard Park.

But I am licking my chops to see those guys unleash some fury against the NYJs.

I was just ribbing you anyway. I respect your opinions on this board, but I'm just having some fun.

Hey thank you very much for the kind words. Much appreciated.

I drop by here occasionally because I enjoy some back and forth with fans of a rival team (if the nail can be considered the hammer's rival) and b/c this board has far more students of the game than thelandingstrip or finheaven.

Getting back to the topic at hand, this is a great signing for you guys. Still kills me that Buffalo took Terrell Freakin Troup one pick before RG. To add insult to injury, Gronk is a Buffalo guy, born and raised.

Grrrrrr, wish he was our on team.

Last edited:
15 trillion dollars????

Lets Go Broke-alo!

Actually, they're all taking the ACTUAL deal and talking about cap IMPACT. They are two separate things.

Why the hell is it such a big deal to you people that I pointed this out? He signed a 6 year extension for $54 million (Note the title of the thread, for crying out loud). He didn't sign an 8 year deal for $55m +. It's that simple.

And, Ken, if I posted that crap that you just did, I'd get banned. Knowing that, I'll just point out the above paragraph and note that I've had no issue with the discussion of the contract's impact regarding the cap and, in fact, mentioned it before you even posted. My only issue was with your statement of what deal was signed, because you got it wrong. You might, perhaps, take a look at the sentence that started your post:

and keep yourself from *****ing when someone lets you know that you posted the deal wrong.
NO DI, you have it wrong. It has nothing to do with the cap, it has to do with your perception of the length of the contract.

From the beginning that as an extension, the new contract was putting Gronk under the Pats control for EIGHT years, and his compensation indicated in the contract was going to be spread out in various structures OVER those 8 years. (as Mo pointed out). It was NEVER a 6 year $54MM averaging $9MM/yr as you stated in your rebuttal to my post. NEVER.

So it was my understanding that when you added the compensation he's due over the next 2 years under his existing contract, to the $54MM he could potentially get in his next 6, it added up (and divided by EIGHT) to roughly $6.8MM

BTW- While you still might be the Prime minister of Premium, Petty, Pomposity, I do want to apologize for calling you a **** and a loser. That was uncalled for, so sorry about that. You didn't deserve that. Those kinds of epithets should be reserved for the Santonio Holmes of the world. So again I apologize.

heh...hey!...I like it.....now playing right toekle for the NYJ...**** Loser...and at TE ,Goe Nadz...J-E-T-S!!! Go Loser!! Go Nadz!..

NO DI, you have it wrong. It has nothing to do with the cap, it has to do with your perception of the length of the contract.

From the beginning that as an extension, the new contract was putting Gronk under the Pats control for EIGHT years, and his compensation indicated in the contract was going to be spread out in various structures OVER those 8 years. (as Mo pointed out). It was NEVER a 6 year $54MM averaging $9MM/yr as you stated in your rebuttal to my post. NEVER.

So it was my understanding that when you added the compensation he's due over the next 2 years under his existing contract, to the $54MM he could potentially get in his next 6, it added up (and divided by EIGHT) to roughly $6.8MM

BTW- While you still might be the Prime minister of Premium, Petty, Pomposity, I do want to apologize for calling you a **** and a loser. That was uncalled for, so sorry about that. You didn't deserve that. Those kinds of epithets should be reserved for the Santonio Holmes of the world. So again I apologize.

The terms of the contract are what they are. It's not an 8 year deal, no matter how much you want to insist that it is. There's nothing to debate here. Not sure why you're taking a simple correction by DI so personally, but facts are facts. Continuing to debate this doesn't add to the discussion, and the personal attacks aren't warranted at all. Even when they're tagged onto the tail end of backhanded, insincere apologies. FFS, it shouldn't be this difficult to man up and move on.

Rob Gronkowski before June 8, 2012: Successful, Boston-area babe magnet.

Rob Gronkowski after June 8, 2012: Rich, successful, Boston-area babe magnet.

Three words of advice to Rob:

1) Take care of yourself on the field; don't let anyone talk you into playing through head "dingers."

2) Be smart about all that money that's going to show up in your bank statement; one day it will stop coming. You will be able to take care of a family and do whatever you want for the rest of your life if you handle it wisely.

3) Bring one more Brady/Belichick era Lombardi to Foxboro.

(PS: If that pass comes your way on third down in the Super Bowl, for heaven's sake, hold on to it.)

Awesome, he was never going anywhere near FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore