PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots and Gronk agree to 6year/$54 Million Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Mo pointed out above, if the Pats can also extend Hernandez in that range they will effectively have tied up both Gronk and Hernandez long term for the equivalent of Calvin Johnson money. That's a great deal for the Pats in terms of risk stratification and production. And it leaves the Pats lots of options in terms of how to proceed.

Yep totally agree wtih Mo. I've been swamped at work so I didn't have time to scan the thread. As we talked about through Welker probably isn't in your long term plans after next year so if they structure it right it could work out on a yearly basis. But he isn't seeing Gronk coin.

Damn, I liked this contract even if it tore up two years of his rookie deal. The fact that it doesn't just makes it that much better.

You know I was reading the posts backward from the newest page and was surprised to see my name continually mentioned by DI. He kept mentioning how he had "corrected"on what I thought had been a pretty innocuous post on my part. I couldn't image what he'd "corrected me about".

Well I had to go back several pages to find out what this was all about, but eventually I found the post. WOW! All I can conclude is that there is a NEW prime minister of pomposity (sorry Mo ;) ) DI you are a ****. The fact is, no matter how you squirm, is that Gronk is going to be playing up to the next EIGHT years at the PATS pleasure. And should the Pats decide to keep him around that long and he plays until the end of that contract, he will have made $55.3MM. THAT is an average of $6.8MM. THAT is what I said. There was no need to "correct" me since nothing I said was incorrect

You were just being a ****.....as usual, and even after several people pointed this out to you, you STILL maintained that you "corrected" me. GOD you are such a loser. I have made plenty of factual mistakes in my time. And my spelling of players names incorrectly is legendary and well deserved, but it THIS case....:rolleyes:

BTW- if yoiu want to a post that fully explains the various implications of this deal. Mo posted a great breakdown that explains the implications of the deal at the break points of 4,6, and 8 years Its worth repeating

The money is irrelevant, IMHO. As Mo points out, the actual number could be any of several alternatives, not all of them calculable at this juncture. What is important is that the Pats have contractural rights to Gronk through 2019, and quite possibly longer. If injury or other issues affect his performance they are reasonably protected, and if he continues to perform at his current level he will outperform his contract and probably end up getting extended for even more years. Either way, barring a holdout the Pats have converted uncertainty in Gronk's situation into relative certainty as a reasonable cost, which is an impressive feat. The dividends of that certainty may allow them to more easily address Welker's and Hernandez' long term situations as well. However the final $$ breakdown works out, it's a great win for the team.

Just because he'll be in a position to do that doesn't mean he would. He doesn't strike me as the type of person who would feel slighted if he wasn't the highest paid at his position*, he seems to just be out there having fun, and getting paid very well.

*I admit I actually know nothing about what kind of person he is, this is just my gut feeling.

Even if he would, it remains to be seen if the FO would budge at all. I suspect that they wouldn't. This isn't the Jets.

Last edited:
I did want to add this point.

I found it interesting that the WR franchise tag is $9.3MM while the TE tag is something like $5.5MM as of this year. I think that because of the introduction of the "TE offense", the role of the TE and WR will become more blurred, and that TE number is going to continue to go up to the point that in the final 4 years of Gronk's contract, that $6.8MM average is going to look like more of a bargain than ever.

I mean what is the value of a player who can rank 5th in yards receiving, 2nd in TDs, and be your 5th offensive lineman....and has upside. :eek: If they are giving Fitz and Megatron over $12MM/yr. Gronk at $6.8MM is an outright steal

does this explain why welker hasnt got a new deal?

Now lock up Hernandez..and we will be good!

I forget..what happened to his ankle? Ligament?

Actually, Ken doesn't have it right. The deal is what it is. There's difference between what the deal is and the accounting games that can be played with it.

You seem to be confused on this, as well.

Apparently Greg Bedard agrees with Ken's interpretation, and took the time to point it out.
Analyzing the Gronkowski deal - Extra Points - Boston.com
Boston Globe said:
So for the Patriots to potentially have the game’s greatest tight end ever locked up until 2019 -- at what in reality is an eight-year, $55.23 million deal ($6.903 million per year) -- could be a huge, huge win for the Patriots down the road.

Apparently CSSNNNEE agrees with Ken's interpretation, and took the time to point it out.
CSSNNNEE said:
When news dropped that Rob Gronkowski signed a 6-year, $54 million extension, he was quickly dubbed the highest-paid tight end in the history of the NFL.

Not so fast.

A closer look at Gronk's contract, thanks to the Globe's Greg Bedard, shows that Rob Gronkowski is actually the fifth-highest paid tight end in the league.

Gronkowski's current deal is really an 8-year, $55.23 million dollar deal since the next two seasons are included.
Rob Gronkowski, New England: $6.9 million, $18 million guaranteed

A deeper understanding is somewhat more complicated. No need to be insufferable toward those digging into the numbers and taking a holistic look at the deal.

Sniping of some posters aside, a great day!
Great weapon, great deal.

Sorry to see Markell Carter, Jon Opperud, and Nick Melillo go, but glad the money freed up went to good use.

Apparently Greg Bedard agrees with Ken's interpretation,....

Actually, they're all taking the ACTUAL deal and talking about cap IMPACT. They are two separate things.

Why the hell is it such a big deal to you people that I pointed this out? He signed a 6 year extension for $54 million (Note the title of the thread, for crying out loud). He didn't sign an 8 year deal for $55m +. It's that simple.

And, Ken, if I posted that crap that you just did, I'd get banned. Knowing that, I'll just point out the above paragraph and note that I've had no issue with the discussion of the contract's impact regarding the cap and, in fact, mentioned it before you even posted. My only issue was with your statement of what deal was signed, because you got it wrong. You might, perhaps, take a look at the sentence that started your post:

Just tell me I'm reading this correctly.

and keep yourself from *****ing when someone lets you know that you posted the deal wrong.

Last edited:
scintillating...on a day I should be ecstatic that the Patriots signed a player I love to a new deal, I open this thread and find a nuclear war over contract terminology....does anyone ever get any joy out of the simple facts anymore, or does every deal have to be parsed and pored over and all warts, real or imagined, exposed in screeds that lead to the Migraine Mall..?

I'm very happy he's signed a new deal. He must be happy because he signed it.This looming contract issue is OVER. This is a good thing...this year...next year...the year after...what's not to like?

The Deus is the king of buzz kills.

Just remember: everyone knows that the Patriots don't pay their players.

Why the hell is it such a big deal to you people that I pointed this out? He signed a 6 year extension for $54 million (Note the title of the thread, for crying out loud). He didn't sign an 8 year deal for $55m +. It's that simple.

If we take you at your word and you are seriously wondering why others react to you this way, I suggest it's not that you 'pointed out' that Gronkowski signed an extension. That was in the news. It's the occasional 'you all are wrong' attitude.

You have to admit you carry an aggressive, authoritative tone. While a passionate fan, sometimes there is have a tendency to push a single position rather than consider multiple views of a complex issue. On this issue, at it's most simplistic, yes, that's what it is. As Ken and Mo and others dug into the details, it's more complex. And like an aged Cabernet, more complex is delicious.

It's a great four year deal when looked at that way, and a great eight-year deal when looked at that way. And a great job by several posters teasing out the details so we can understand the deal and the impact.

We can tease Ken for his occasional "KJ and Hondo" meninoing of names, but the guy offers insightful opinions, and is willing to consider thoughtful feedback to improve our understanding of an issue. That's a good example of contributing to the dialogue.

My apologies for contributing to another derailment.

Also, isn't it self-evident that, when you average out the contract that he signed with the last two years of his rookie deal, you arrive at a different, smaller number? While that's somewhat useful in discussing the long-term cost implications of having Gronkowski, it doesn't change the simple fact that the contract that he signed was for 6 years and $54 million. It's an objective fact, there's really nothing to debate about it.

Robert Kraft: cheap. :D

If we take you at your word and you are seriously wondering why others react to you this way, I suggest it's not that you 'pointed out' that Gronkowski signed an extension. That was in the news. It's the occasional 'you all are wrong' attitude...

Actually, I asked about a specific thing. The general stuff doesn't matter. And, before someone takes that the wrong way, I'm not saying that to be snooty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case