PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots and Gronk agree to 6year/$54 Million Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure that on some level Hernandez and his agent must recognize that he's not quite Gronk, so I think this actually sets a pretty good benchmark for the Pats and Hernandez.

I don't see the rush there now though

I agree. But the key to that statement is 'for the Pats'

If Gronk keeps putting up the big numbers, he'll be in a position to pull a Revis.

Just because he'll be in a position to do that doesn't mean he would. He doesn't strike me as the type of person who would feel slighted if he wasn't the highest paid at his position*, he seems to just be out there having fun, and getting paid very well.

*I admit I actually know nothing about what kind of person he is, this is just my gut feeling.

The way you are looking at it is the problem. If they can sign each to an extension that mitigates cap hits, they'd be happy as clams to have those average less than the cost of one elite WR like Megatron over the course of the deals. And if they signed Hernandez to a 6 year $40M extension today they'd be in range of Megatron ($12M per for the pair vs. one elite WR). They may or may not choose to go that route. They probably would like to get some distance between the deals. Maybe Hernandez got an early offer too and his agent (Dunn, Welker's agent) didn't like their numbers while Rosenhaus did. Maybe the jury is still out on Hernandez to some extent. Or maybe they are happy to roll the dice on one being a tag to sign or tag to trade in three years - even if to sign him the means a full value FA type deal and to trade him means you're looking for a replacement. Maybe two TE's will be passe by then...and they'll be looking for something else.

It's sad folks are always sad about something here.

Yeah, you're right. I didn't mean to be raining on the parade - just thinking out loud. I am pumped they've locked up Gronk, very pumped! I love the proactive move by the Pats, very smart. (Still say even $12 would be too much for the Pats to swallow as a TE position cap hit. I can't help myself, sorry!)

Last edited:
I know they're obviously different positions, but maybe this plays a small roll in emboldening Revis a little more. One can only hope ;)

I like Gronk, and like what the Patriots have done here.. smart move.

If Gronk keeps putting up the big numbers, he'll be in a position to pull a Revis.

I don't see Gronk pulling a Revis even if he can. Revis is being advised by his uncle who cashed in by holding out for a year. Gronk doesn't seem like the type of guy who would hold out.

Just because he'll be in a position to do that doesn't mean he would. He doesn't strike me as the type of person who would feel slighted if he wasn't the highest paid at his position*, he seems to just be out there having fun, and getting paid very well.

*I admit I actually know nothing about what kind of person he is, this is just my gut feeling.

I don't see Gronk pulling a Revis even if he can. Revis is being advised by his uncle who cashed in by holding out for a year. Gronk doesn't seem like the type of guy who would hold out.

I'm not disagreeing with you, and I'm not saying that I'd expect Gronk to hold out. I was just noting that, despite Jason's notion of the Patriots having the leverage, Gronk could have plenty of his own at that point. As fans, we tend to make the mistake of viewing this stuff almost exclusively from the team's perspective. Or, to put it another way:

Gronk now has $8 million that he can use as a war chest for the future, if he so chooses.

Last edited:
Only $8 million of the contract is guaranteed. The other $10 million is an OPTION bonus that is only guaranteed if the Pats pick up the option after the 2015 season.

$13M is guaranteed for skill and injury and another $5M is guaranteed for injury (total $18M) which becomes fully guaranteed well before the option is due. The option is apparently not guaranteed per all the early reports. Although they did agree not to franchise him in 2016 if they fail to pick up the option.

I'm pumped. Gronk is just an unbelievable weapon and when healthy, is one of the most dynamic offensive players in the entire league. To have him under control for 8 years, at a reasonable price, is tremendous. It's not like we have him for ages 27-35....it's ages 23-30.

Awesome work by the Patriots, and congrats to Gronk.

i just hope that deal dosnt close on any Hernandez deal, i want them both to be patriots 4 life...i wish it was like that.

What a surprise - one of the best news threads in a long while and here is Deus spamming rhetoric and picking nits left, right and centre.

Goddamn, what an ego.

Excellent news! Considering the years, value, and upfront money this seems like one of those cases where each side remained flexible and came up with a contract where everyone can be happy.

A lot of us speculated on the free market he could get a deal in the Fitzgerald/Johnson space and by this move the Patriots obviosly agreed. So glad to see them get it done in advance and both parties make out in this deal. Gronk gets the security and the Pats save money over the long haul.

I think AH would be more in the 6/40 range for the Pats to do it and he's proabably looking and thinking well gronk got so much more. Fact is they can now control AH for two more years at really cheap bucks and then franchise him two more years and still it would be a value based on the TE tag number, although it's sure to go up by then it will still be a lot less than other positions.

A lot of us speculated on the free market he could get a deal in the Fitzgerald/Johnson space and by this move the Patriots obviosly agreed. So glad to see them get it done in advance and both parties make out in this deal. Gronk gets the security and the Pats save money over the long haul.

I think AH would be more in the 6/40 range for the Pats to do it and he's proabably looking and thinking well gronk got so much more. Fact is they can now control AH for two more years at really cheap bucks and then franchise him two more years and still it would be a value based on the TE tag number, although it's sure to go up by then it will still be a lot less than other positions.

As Mo pointed out above, if the Pats can also extend Hernandez in that range they will effectively have tied up both Gronk and Hernandez long term for the equivalent of Calvin Johnson money. That's a great deal for the Pats in terms of risk stratification and production. And it leaves the Pats lots of options in terms of how to proceed.

I can't see the Pats committing $15-$17m/yr to the TE position, no way. But that's likely what it will take to keep both our star TE's.

Gronk gets $9m/yr and why would Hernadez sign for less than $6-7m/yr? He could easily get that if he goes to FA. Sadly, I think he's a goner after two years, maybe 3 if they franchise him which I doubt because he'd probably get paid more than Gronk for one year under the tag and that may not go over too well with Gronko. Especially if Gronk continues his assault on the record books.

"TE position......?"

It's no longer a "Winged T" league.

Better to look at it as the most dynamic offensive duo in the NFL.

These guys are pass catchers with benefits.

Awsome news, and it perhaps it helps Welker get a new deal, but what does this do for the prospects of keeping Volmer and Chung after this season. I believe they are free agents after this season

If we can somehow get Welker and Aaron new deals, and resign Chung and Volmer. We will be set up nicely for years. I just don't know if that is doable.

I was inspired to go back and watch Gronk highlights from last season. It's like playing a video game where you access a secret password that lets you create a robo-football player that is bigger than everyone trying to tackle him.

Delighted to hear this, thats some Gronktract!

No....

The Patriots signed their best tight end to a $9 million average per year extension that's partially guaranteed.
You know I was reading the posts backward from the newest page and was surprised to see my name continually mentioned by DI. He kept mentioning how he had "corrected"on what I thought had been a pretty innocuous post on my part. I couldn't image what he'd "corrected me about".

Well I had to go back several pages to find out what this was all about, but eventually I found the post. WOW! All I can conclude is that there is a NEW prime minister of pomposity (sorry Mo ;) ) DI you are a ****. The fact is, no matter how you squirm, is that Gronk is going to be playing up to the next EIGHT years at the PATS pleasure. And should the Pats decide to keep him around that long and he plays until the end of that contract, he will have made $55.3MM. THAT is an average of $6.8MM. THAT is what I said. There was no need to "correct" me since nothing I said was incorrect

You were just being a ****.....as usual, and even after several people pointed this out to you, you STILL maintained that you "corrected" me. GOD you are such a loser. I have made plenty of factual mistakes in my time. And my spelling of players names incorrectly is legendary and well deserved, but it THIS case....:rolleyes:

BTW- if yoiu want to a post that fully explains the various implications of this deal. Mo posted a great breakdown that explains the implications of the deal at the break points of 4,6, and 8 years Its worth repeating

As Miguel used to say the gold standard for contracts is first three year average (provided sufficient bonus implicitly guarantees the player sees that due to dead cap implications) or the fully guaranteed money. Gronk got $13M fully guaranteed, and another $5M has a rolling guarantee. So I guess we should call the new deal a 4 year $4.5M AAV deal with an option...

Average or total new money can be spun, but the fact is absent guarantees a player seldom sees it. He gets more or less. AAV of the entire contract puts the player's cost in perspective. If he's here 6 years he will earn $38M or $6.35M per as an average. If he's here all 8 years he will have averaged $6.8M. If he's only here for 4 years he will have averaged $4.5M per. He will never average $9M per unless they void the option and opt to do another extension, in which case he will probably cost and average a lot more...or less. The more doesn't sound very Patriotic. They will have all the leverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News