PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pass Won't Get Cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

shakadave

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
It's become fashionable to predict that Pass will be cut, Pass is gone, etc. To counterbalance what I think is incorrect predicting, I'm here to predict Pass is a 2006 Patriot. He does enough on special teams to be our 4th back, especially realizing that we'll never have 4 healthy at the same time.

You're absolutely right.

( :braces for upcoming debate in this thread: )

Last edited:
I tend to agree

As some other posters have suggested regarding this topic, I think Heath Evans will be cut before Patrick Pass ever will be. Patrick is simply a more versatile (and IMHO better) player, something BB & SP really value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, gotta love Pass throwing balls on the ground and clutching his hamstring...who cares about the ball and the other team recovering gifts...what we need is more great individual plays like THAT in tight games.

Please, whether Patrick Pass stays or goes is a minor topic> He had his big chance and blew it.

Difficult to predict. I wouldn't be surprised if Izzo, Pass, Evans, or Bethel are cut.

Pass is still in my doghouse from that boneheaded hamstring fumble he made against the Bills last year.

shakadave said:
It's become fashionable to predict that Pass will be cut, Pass is gone, etc. To counterbalance what I think is incorrect predicting, I'm here to predict Pass is a 2006 Patriot. He does enough on special teams to be our 4th back, especially realizing that we'll never have 4 healthy at the same time.
It is not so much "fashionable" as it is common sense. The reason so many think he will be cut is he is so far down the depth chart. What can he do that cannot be done by one or more of Dillon, Faulk, Maroney and Mills.

Pass has already been cut. Two or three years ago he was cut, then brought back after three or four weeks of getting no nibbles form anyone.

The big mistake BB made last year was keeping pass and trying to sneak Kyle Eckel onto the practice squad. The Dolphins claimed him on waivers. THey should have cut Pass.

The beauty about cutting Pass is that absolutely no one else will want him. he will be out there if we need him, but not take up a valuable roster spot. We will be fine with Dillon, Faulk, Maroney and Mills.

No other RBs needed in September.

Pass's only hope is that Mills bombs.

Last edited:
He is on the bubble.

He's going to need to make in as a ST player. The RB role he had last year was eliminated with the Maroney and Mills picks.

His ability to play some kind of role if forced to by injury woud help him if it gets down to a close roster battle between him and a guy who is solely a ST guy.

wow can you shut up about the hamstring? We didnt lose the game when he did that..he said hamstring gave him a shock of pain .. it wasnt bearble. a football player whos probably 5x stronger and tougher than gets pain like that drops the ball to grab hammy..if it happened to you, you would of probably been a little girl and cry your ass off for half an hour. leave it alone..take out the fumble..he played well. hes a good receiver..he used to return kicks..he can help us. why dont we cut Faulk instead? You guys easily got over the fumble in Denver? He also fumbled against Jets and twice against Pittsburgh.

Future injuries aside, Pass is on the bubble. He's older and has no further upside. Plus as remarked earlier he would still be avaiable on our 'shadow roster' if cut 'cause it's likely nobody would sign him.

I've liked Pass, but given that we most likely picked up much better KRs this season, Pass's versitility is diminished. Plus the rookie H back prospects are another threat, ones with more upside.

Last edited:
Pass was looking like Jim Brown before he hurt the hammy. He was the only one that played worth a damn against Denver in the reg. season and was looking great against Buffalo until he got hurt. The guy has obviously got some talent.

teams wouldnt sign him? LOL he came in 2nd in Pro Bowl ballot for FB!

Hes a year younger than Faulk too.. dont say "age"

Joker said:
Yeah, gotta love Pass throwing balls on the ground and clutching his hamstring...who cares about the ball and the other team recovering gifts...what we need is more great individual plays like THAT in tight games.

Please, whether Patrick Pass stays or goes is a minor topic> He had his big chance and blew it.

Blew it? He was doing great up until that injury.

Man, why don't you even mention Brady's INT? First off, it was in the PLAYOFFS. Secondly, it was returned for essentially a TOUCHDOWN. Thirdly, the Pats went on the LOSE the game.

Why don't cut Brady why you're at it!

Like PatJew just said - Pass WAS the Patriots running game when Faulk was hurt half the season for a second straight season and Dillon was ailing.

Last edited:
^exactly .thank you

and upside/potential? Please...Faulk was top 3 rated RB when he came out of LSU..he got taken in 2nd and traded to us by Titans i believe..from being "soooooo goood in college " to nothing more than a 3rd down back. Look at his YPC average..i looked over game logs and it was sad..only 1 game over 4 ypc and thats against Jags this year. Both are on the bubble..but i rather see Pass come out simply because Maroney will likely take Faulk's role until he gets the nod to start.

Pass - can start for a few games. stronger and can run ball if he needs when called upon
Faulk - cant start games for us because hes tried but hasnt come out well..receiver out of backfield...eehh well BB is having a blast with Maroney's speed and catching ability..rather have Maroney try and score from anywhere on field. If Faulk could consistently be a good KR/PR without fumbling..lets say in middle of his career when he got 2 TDs on KR..i would say keep him but really hes not going to add that much to us. BB wants to get Maroney on field more..said he'll line him up in slot to play WR on obvious passing downs..hes faster, quicker than Faulk.

Dont get me wrong.. i love what Faulk has done for us but if I was coach and i judged before camp on previous stuff and what we added..i would let Faulk seek a trade

Last edited:
PatsWickedPissah said:
Future injuries aside, Pass is on the bubble. He's older and has no further upside. Plus as remarked earlier he would still be avaiable on our 'shadow roster' if cut 'cause it's likely nobody would sign him.

I've liked Pass, but given that we most likely picked up much better KRs this season, Pass's versitility is diminished. Plus the rookie H back prospects are another threat, ones with more upside.

Pass has returned a grand total of 8 kicks in the past 2 seasons. Returning was his job before 2004, when he was truly on the bubble. In 2004 and 2005 he finally got into the fold as semi-starting FB. The only reason he wasn't in that position early in the season was the injuries to Dillon and Faulk that forced him to start as a RB. Later on, he was injured. Now with the backfield evened back out, he can return to his 2004 duties.

Pass isn't the same player as Mills. They shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence. Mills will never lineup at tailback. Pass will never line up at tight end. The semi-existent FB position will be Pass' to lose.

Barring any injuries, Heath is definitely off this roster, replaced essentially by Maroney. Pass is a better runner, receiver, and blocker than Evans - a street free agent in every sense of the phrase; simply a replacement.

If Pass gets cut, that would leave the Pats with 2 old and very injury-prone RBs, one of which we know shouldn't be used as a primary rusher (Faulk, Dillon). The other two would be rookies, unpredictable and still learning.

Quite simply, Pass rounds out the backfield in a way no other player on the roster can.

Last edited:
^or since he was given his chance to shine when our RBs were out..Patriots saw that he can come in anytime and start a few games and do well. While he can be #3 RB he can start or backup at FB.

Remix 6 said:
.if it happened to you, you would of probably been a little girl and cry your ass off for half an hour.
Exactly. He did just like you and I would have done, drop the football. That is why he no more belongs on the team than you or I do.

He can drop the ball and cry if he wants, but don't go telling me that is what NFL football players do.

Anyway, it is a sign of panic and lack of control to drop the ball, unless you can expalin to me how dropping the ball would make his leg feel better. Again, I might drop the ball, and you might cry for half an hour, as you say Fine for you and me. Not acceptable for an NFL running back.

Remix 6 said:
^exactly .thank you

and upside/potential? Please...Faulk was top 3 rated RB when he came out of LSU..he got taken in 2nd and traded to us by Titans i believe..from being "soooooo goood in college " to nothing more than a 3rd down back. Look at his YPC average..i looked over game logs and it was sad..only 1 game over 4 ypc and thats against Jags this year. Both are on the bubble..but i rather see Pass come out simply because Maroney will likely take Faulk's role until he gets the nod to start.

Pass - can start for a few games. stronger and can run ball if he needs when called upon
Faulk - cant start games for us because hes tried but hasnt come out well..receiver out of backfield...eehh well BB is having a blast with Maroney's speed and catching ability..rather have Maroney try and score from anywhere on field. If Faulk could consistently be a good KR/PR without fumbling..lets say in middle of his career when he got 2 TDs on KR..i would say keep him but really hes not going to add that much to us. BB wants to get Maroney on field more..said he'll line him up in slot to play WR on obvious passing downs..hes faster, quicker than Faulk.

Dont get me wrong.. i love what Faulk has done for us but if I was coach and i judged before camp on previous stuff and what we added..i would let Faulk seek a trade

I wouldn't see too many teams wanting all $1.9 mil. of Faulk this year. He then has another $7.2 mil. in non-guaranteed salary in 2007-9. Furthermore, the Pats would have to pay all $2 mil. of his remaining signing bonus at the time of the trade (full and immediate proration).

Last edited:
Remix 6 said:
teams wouldnt sign him? LOL
???? He was cut. No team signed him. We signed him a couple weeks later. That was two-three years ago. He certainly hasn't gotten any better since then.

This isn't conjecture. It is fact. It is history. No one wanted him and now he is two or three years older and slower.

Tell me one thing he can do that no one else on the team can't do better.

That was a first!

I have never ever over 30 years of watching pro football seen a player drop a ball like Pass did. Leaving that discussion aside, he is a very valuable versatile offensive player. Mills may untimately have more upside but don't downplay Pass's contributions pre the "I been shot!" fumble. If we cut him, Romeo, Eric or Saban would pick him up so fast your head would spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST