PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Outlook For the Run Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It all goes back to "with Armstrong and Siliga gone we're fooked!" which is PREPOSTEROUS. One guy never played and the other guy was a CUT signed off a practice squad...

"Siliga was signed off the Seahawks' practice squad. A third-year undrafted free agent, Siliga appeared in one game for the Broncos last season. He's just a depth signing for a team that's taken a number of hits up front. Tue, Oct 22, 2013 07:33:00 PM"

The Pats didn't fortuitously strike gold signing Siliga, they signed him because most of Custer's Last Stand was already WIPED OUT. Any port in a storm corollary.

Yes, this...

1,000 times over. Thank you.

Kelly and Wilfork looked quite good (especially Vince) out there against their starters.. They were getting some push and there were no holes there had the redskins bothered to run at them.

C Jones also looked good (especially when he moved back inside), even though its an obvious visual downgrade from the former. He doesn't have the size, he isn't a blazing explosive player, however he doesn't suck either. You can see that he's mostly where he is supposed to be, and isn't being trivially handled by the O line.

Having said that, the other assorted players on the roster were horrible today. Forston in particular after all these years has never made the leap. He is fat and slow, and he seems to lose ground on the line of scrimmage (which is ridiculous). Being handled by 3rd stringers is embarrasing.

Vellano didn't seem to stand out either. I didn't see any glaring mistake or defeat, but he just didn't seem to get any disruption either.

Forston in particular after all these years has never made the leap. He is fat and slow, and he seems to lose ground on the line of scrimmage (which is ridiculous). Being handled by 3rd stringers is embarrasing.

watching the game with my brother and nephew, I can't remember saying one postive thing about Forston's play. He stuck OUT as a liability in a game where you'd think he'd escape notice. God, he looked bad. Pushed around, pushed back, knocked off his feet, moved side to side at will. An early cut if there was going to be any made before next Thursday. Maybe he had a stomach ache or the flu or something but if he shows up next Thursday like he did tonight, adios amigo.

Kelly and Wilfork looked quite good (especially Vince) out there against their starters.. They were getting some push and there were no holes there had the redskins bothered to run at them.

C Jones also looked good (especially when he moved back inside), even though its an obvious visual downgrade from the former. He doesn't have the size, he isn't a blazing explosive player, however he doesn't suck either. You can see that he's mostly where he is supposed to be, and isn't being trivially handled by the O line.

Having said that, the other assorted players on the roster were horrible today. Forston in particular after all these years has never made the leap. He is fat and slow, and he seems to lose ground on the line of scrimmage (which is ridiculous). Being handled by 3rd stringers is embarrasing.

Vellano didn't seem to stand out either. I didn't see any glaring mistake or defeat, but he just didn't seem to get any disruption either.

I think we'll be hoping for a few things to happen:

1) Easley to return in the next 2-3 weeks, which seems to be the plan. While there's obviously going to be a learning curve expected, the hope is that his talent alone will be an improvement on some of the guys that you've mentioned in your post above.

2) The injury of Siligia to be no more than a month or so into the season. Otherwise, we can argue his importance to the 53 man roster in terms of keeping a spot open. This isn't judged by talent or potential, but more so as to whether or not it would make sense to keep him on the active roster should he miss, say, the next 10-12 weeks.

While we keep going back and forth on that 10th DB or ST only player, maybe Siligia is that "54th" player while Browner is suspended for the first month?

3) Other DL from TC casualties to be explored, as usual. It's not out of the realm of possibility to find another capable bigger body in the next month or so, including the post week 1 signings with non-guaranteed salaries.

He didn't say sack production. He said he was concerned with the pass rush, which was mediocre last year.

No, I'm afraid it wasn't, the secondary was terrible...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore