PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Outlook For the Run Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
We've done a lot this offseason in improving the pass defense. But the run defense still has me slightly concerned. Yes I know Mayo and Wilfork will be returning which will help immensly, and even though so far Wilfork looks great, say he's nowhere near the same on the field. What's the backup plan? Tommy Kelly isn't getting any younger either, and he's coming off a season ending injury as well so he also remains a question mark. How much stock should be bought into Silinga and Chris Jones's rookie seasons last year? While both looked promising, I don't know how much I'd trust either one going forward.

Something about the state of the DT position still leaves me feeling unsettled.

The run defense was starting to look better towards the end of the season with the emergence of Siliga at DT and Hightower starting to settle into his less than ideal role. This year with Wilfork, Kelly, Siliga a year more seasoned, Mayo back, Hightower in a more appropriate role, Collins supposedly bulked up, and better man coverage out of the corners (freeing safeties to play closer to the line), there's plenty of reason to feel optimistic about run D improvements. It's not just Mayo and Wilfork returning (though those are two HUGE factors).

Siliga, Kelly & Wilfork all in a rotation or even on the field together in a 3-4 or 4-3 under Mayo back in the lineup at LB too, the run defense should be fine.

Add in the Offense putting up more points forcing the opposition to try and pass against that secondary, further helping the yards per game given up against the run.

Aside from the obvious problem of losing your three starters up the middle, the Pats really paid the price last year for not being able to rotate fresh legs into the game on the d-line. They were just decimated with Wilfork, Kelly, and Mayo all sidelined.

Also, the NFL is a passing league. There were times when the Pats wanted the other team to run, even if it meant letting them run successfully.

Siliga, Kelly & Wilfork all in a rotation or even on the field together in a 3-4 or 4-3 under Mayo back in the lineup at LB too, the run defense should be fine.

Add in the Offense putting up more points forcing the opposition to try and pass against that secondary, further helping the yards per game given up against the run.

Pretty much how i see it. They have the D-Line and LB's to effectively defense the run and the offense is going to be putting team's in holes they will have to pass out of so both aspects should work well together.

Aside from the obvious problem of losing your three starters up the middle, the Pats really paid the price last year for not being able to rotate fresh legs into the game on the d-line. They were just decimated with Wilfork, Kelly, and Mayo all sidelined.

Also, the NFL is a passing league. There were times when the Pats wanted the other team to run, even if it meant letting them run successfully.

I still can't believe they were able to patch that interior DL together with street free agents during the season last year.

I think it will be very good, they will play a 3-man rotation of Wilfork, Kelly, and Siliga in the base, those 3 are all big hard to move objects. I think that you will see a lot of Siliga at the 1-Tech and Wilfork at the 3-Tech this year like back in 2011 when Love played 1-Tech with Wilfork at the 3-Tech.

A lot of reports out of camp have said that the Patriots are running a lot of 3-4 with this alignment:

LOLB - Hightower
LDE - Kelly
NT - Wilfork
RDE - Jones
ROLB - Ninkovich
SILB - Mayo
WILB - Collins

That is a very interesting front, especially if Easley was to return and play the LDE as a penetrator.

Although every camp Belichick plays a lot of 3-4 and then comes out and plays a 4-3. I think he just likes to incorporate the different fronts and techniques so he can cross train everyone.

Wilfork, Kelly, Mayo retuning from injury.

Chris Jones taking the 2nd year leap.

I'm not worried about the run defense at all.

We've done a lot this offseason in improving the pass defense. But the run defense still has me slightly concerned. Yes I know Mayo and Wilfork will be returning which will help immensly, and even though so far Wilfork looks great, say he's nowhere near the same on the field. What's the backup plan? Tommy Kelly isn't getting any younger either, and he's coming off a season ending injury as well so he also remains a question mark. How much stock should be bought into Silinga and Chris Jones's rookie seasons last year? While both looked promising, I don't know how much I'd trust either one going forward.

Something about the state of the DT position still leaves me feeling unsettled.

Then you probably need to take some Bicarbonate of Soda (a 3 Stooges favorite) after reading
the news on Siliga. It's time to start working out some wide-bodies.

I think it will be very good, they will play a 3-man rotation of Wilfork, Kelly, and Siliga in the base, those 3 are all big hard to move objects. I think that you will see a lot of Siliga at the 1-Tech and Wilfork at the 3-Tech this year like back in 2011 when Love played 1-Tech with Wilfork at the 3-Tech.

A lot of reports out of camp have said that the Patriots are running a lot of 3-4 with this alignment:

LOLB - Hightower
LDE - Kelly
NT - Wilfork
RDE - Jones
ROLB - Ninkovich
SILB - Mayo
WILB - Collins

That is a very interesting front, especially if Easley was to return and play the LDE as a penetrator.

Although every camp Belichick plays a lot of 3-4 and then comes out and plays a 4-3. I think he just likes to incorporate the different fronts and techniques so he can cross train everyone.
Chandler Jones won't hold up physically for an entire season as a 3-4 defensive end.

Then you probably need to take some Bicarbonate of Soda (a 3 Stooges favorite) after reading
the news on Siliga. It's time to start working out some wide-bodies.
Armstead retired, Siliga injured, 2013 New England Patriots defensive tackle deja vu.

Armstead retired, Siliga injured, 2013 New England Patriots defensive tackle deja vu.

Wait, what?

The success of the 2014 Patriots defensive line was dependent on the health of 2 guys that barely played?

It's not good for depth purposes, but you're really stretching things with your comparison of the 2013 model.

Armstead never played a down for the Patriots.

Armstead never played a down for the Patriots.

That's what I'm saying. Between Armstead and Siligia, there are 2 depth guys that barely even played whatsoever.

How in the world does this compare to the 2013 situation in anyone's mind?

That's a ridiculous statement in my opinion. We're going to ignore the positives (1st round pick with versatility, return of heath w/ Wilfork, return of health w/ Kelly) and focus on the fact that 2 low level guys who barely played are gone? To me, that's laughable...

The DL was not a problem last season until Wilfork and then Kelly in week five both hit I.R. Add the loss of tackling machine Mayo and add street free agents off the waiver wire starting at DT and it's astounding they got as far as they did.

While I would have loved to see the team add McCullers to the roster via the draft, I'm not seeing any real problem, as of now. The team is, obviously, hostage to the Siliga injury and the rehabs of Kelly, Wilfork and Mayo, but the rehabs seem on track, and Siliga's injury isn't worth worrying about until we know what it is.

Frankly, I'm more concerned with the pass rush than I am with the run defense.

While I would have loved to see the team add McCullers to the roster via the draft, I'm not seeing any real problem, as of now. The team is, obviously, hostage to the Siliga injury and the rehabs of Kelly, Wilfork and Mayo, but the rehabs seem on track, and Siliga's injury isn't worth worrying about until we know what it is.

Frankly, I'm morea` concerned with the pass rush than I am with the run defense.

Why? The 2013 edition accumulated more sacks then any since Ray Berry was coaching. Then add Wilfork, Kelly, Smith, a maturing Buchannon, and Easley and maybe occasionally a Hightower/Collins to the porridge.

One player seldom mentioned in any of these discussions is, James Anderson, who has been a pretty good linebacker for a few years now... another piece of the puzzle.

That's what I'm saying. Between Armstead and Siligia, there are 2 depth guys that barely even played whatsoever.

How in the world does this compare to the 2013 situation in anyone's mind?

That's a ridiculous statement in my opinion. We're going to ignore the positives (1st round pick with versatility, return of heath w/ Wilfork, return of health w/ Kelly) and focus on the fact that 2 low level guys who barely played are gone? To me, that's laughable...

Siliga barely played?

Why? The 2013 edition accumulated more sacks then any since Ray Berry was coaching. Then add Wilfork, Kelly, Smith, a maturing Buchannon, and Easley and maybe occasionally a Hightower/Collins to the porridge.
He didn't say sack production. He said he was concerned with the pass rush, which was mediocre last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back