PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Outlook For the Run Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a look at who got how much playing time at Defensive Tackle for the Patriots last year:

Snap Counts for the 2013 Regular Season
1,156 snaps
786 -- 68.0% -- Chris Jones
667 -- 57.7% -- Joe Vellano
221 -- 19.1% -- Tommy kelly
215 -- 18.6% -- Sealver Siliga
177 -- 15.3% -- Vince Wilfork
118 -- 10.2% -- Isaac Sopoaga
34 ---- 2.9% --- Marcus Forston
5 ----- 0.4% --- Andre Neblett

Playoff Game vs Colts
65 snaps
47 -- 72.3% -- Sealver Siliga
46 -- 70.8% -- Chris Jones
17 -- 26.2% -- Joe Vellano

Playoff Game vs Broncos
75 snaps
73 -- 97.3% -- Chris Jones
57 -- 76.0% -- Sealver Siliga
18 -- 24.0% -- Joe Vellano

Well, what's the outlook on Siliga's injury, wasn't the timetable of time he'll be out for the injury he appears to have generally 6-8 weeks? If that's the case we could just PUP him to start the season, no?

Well, what's the outlook on Siliga's injury, wasn't the timetable of time he'll be out for the injury he appears to have generally 6-8 weeks? If that's the case we could just PUP him to start the season, no?

Can't place him on PUP since he has already taken part in at least one practice.

Options would be:
  1. Place him on in-season IR with Return Designation (like Shane Vereen last year). The team would not be able to activate him for a minimum of eight weeks after he is designated in September, and would not be able to use the in-season IR designation on any other player for the rest of the year.
  2. Leave him on the 53-man roster, where he would be a game-day inactive until he is ready to play.
  3. After the roster is cut to 53 players, place him on IR, in which case he cannot play this season.

Siliga barely played?

Armstead--0 games 0% reps

Siligia--started 4 games 18% reps (he played more in the 2 playoff games due to not having anyone else)

Between the 2 of them, they played in a total of 5/32 games or approx. 15% of the total games. Yes, to me that defines "barely played."

Comparing the loss of 2 role/bit players to the terrible situation of 2013 was silly in my opinion, and is par for the course from Mr. Doomsday in just about every one of his comments.

Last edited:
I agree about Armstead, but Siliga played a decent amount, especially in the POs. When considering
that no other wide-body was drafted or signed as a UFA, I valued him as the top DT to 33-yos Kelly
& Wilfork, both of whom are returning from injury. This is by no means an insignificant loss.

Can't place him on PUP since he has already taken part in at least one practice.

Options would be:
  1. Place him on in-season IR with Return Designation (like Shane Vereen last year). The team would not be able to activate him for a minimum of eight weeks after he is designated in September, and would not be able to use the in-season IR designation on any other player for the rest of the year.
  2. Leave him on the 53-man roster, where he would be a game-day inactive until he is ready to play.
  3. After the roster is cut to 53 players, place him on IR, in which case he cannot play this season.
Mmm I see, so the way I see it would be-
1. If it looks like going into week one during the cutdown to 53 that he'll be ready somepoint within the first month of the season (around 6 weeks from now) leave him on the 53 as a game day inactive.
2. If going into the season it appears that he'll miss at least the first month of the season, then we might as well put him on the in-season IR spot to make more use of a roster space so he could come back in the second half of the season.

Then again it also needs to be put into consideration whether or not Siliga's worth using the in season IR designation on.. :cool:

It's going to be hard to pass on us this year..so teams will be trying the run more

I agree about Armstead, but Siliga played a decent amount, especially in the POs. When considering
that no other wide-body was drafted or signed as a UFA, I valued him as the top DT to 33-yos Kelly
& Wilfork, both of whom are returning from injury. This is by no means an insignificant loss.

I agree that it's not "insignificant," but I highly disagree that the loss of Siligia and Armstead should be compared to the 2013 injury disaster--which was my main point. Comparing 2 role players who didn't play very much to 2 all-pro starters who hardly ever missed a game is a bit silly.

We'll have to see the seriousness of Siligia's injury, and how much Belichick values him to see what the decision will be.

My guess is that any talk of the IR exempt designation is just patsfans.com chatter, but we'll find out soon enough.

I'm hoping Chris Jones dodged a bullet today, he looked like he was just barely able to escape having his knee rolled up on completely and if he's lucky won't have a tear. IF both Silga and Jones go down they will have some issues, that was their depth inside. Ultimately i would like their interior DL be Wilfork, Easely, Kelly, Silga, and Chris Jones.

That's what I'm saying. Between Armstead and Siligia, there are 2 depth guys that barely even played whatsoever.

are you stupid

siliga played like every down for the team for the last part of the year

edit: Oh sorry missed the posts where you just start making up your own definition of "barely played"

are you stupid

edit: Oh sorry missed the part where you just start making up your own definition of "barely played"

Am I "stupid?" Are you even serious, asking me that? You've got to be the most classless ******* that I've seen in awhile.

If you bothered to read the context of the comment, it was based on the following formula:

0 games and 0% reps by Armstead (player 1)

4 games and 18% reps by Siligia (player 2)

That is a combined duo of 4/32 games (or approximately 1/8th of all games played for the 2013 season). If you want to check it by rep percentage, than 0% and 18% would come out to a total average of 9%.

For the record, my comments were in response to a poster who compared the loss of Armstead and Siligia to the tragic situation of the 2013 season where we lost 2 all-pro starters. If you wish to agree with 2 bit/role players (out of necessity) equal losing Wilfork/Kelly, 2 pro bowlers who hardly ever missed a game---then be my guest.

are you stupid

edit: Oh sorry missed the posts where you just start making up your own definition of "barely played"

What the hell are you talking about?

Try reading some context next time, and please tell me what planet a combo that produced an average of NINE percent of the season's reps equates to "lots of playing time?"

How can anyone make up their own definition? The fact is that Armstead never played a down, and Siligia didn't play in 82% of the season's reps. LOL

I didn't even mention Armstead

Siliga played the majority of the team's defensive snaps at the end of the year and in the playoffs. I guess that's barely played if you're going to just take every defensive snap over the course of the year (really the regular season) and divide it by the snaps he played without taking into context the fact that he was the team's full on starting defensive tackle for the last portion of the season but ok whatever narrative you want to tell here man manipulate those stats for me

edit: It's like saying Gronk played barely any role at all for the Patriots last year, after all he was only in on a quarter of offensive snaps

I didn't even mention Armstead

My original response only 1 page ago was to a poster who claimed that losing Siligia and Armstead was comparable to the 2013 injury situation of Wilfork/Kelly, which I disputed due to the comparison in playing time and talent.

Any follow up responses deserve to be taken into context.

Apparently, you didn't bother to read any of the other comments, and then decided to act like an ass for no reason whatsoever. Congratulations on being the douche bag of the evening.

But saying Siliga barely played is wrong, whatever context you want to put it in.

But saying Siliga barely played is wrong, whatever context you want to put it in.

No, your initial post is what was wrong. You didn't bother reading before posting and, as a result, you clowned yourself.

Not if you consider the fact that they somehow managed to get through 82% of the season's reps without him, Mr. Statistician.

He was a guy who was thrown in for the last handful of games of the season due to the fact that they didn't have anyone else to use.

If you view that as lots of playing time, then more power to you I suppose.

Not if you consider the fact that they somehow managed to get through 82% of the season's reps without him, Mr. Statistician.

He was a guy who was thrown in for the last handful of games of the season due to the fact that they didn't have anyone else to use.

If you view that as lots of playing time, then more power to you I suppose.

They managed to get through about 75% of the season's snaps without Gronk. That doesn't make Gronk unimportant to the team's success last season.

To be fair (and I apologize for calling you stupid, I did read that out of context), the guy who said losing Siliga (let's get rid of Armstead because he never played) would be like losing Wilfork/Kelly was obviously incorrect... but it's also false to claim Siliga barely played. And when he did play, he was substantially more effective than Vellano.

It all goes back to "with Armstrong and Siliga gone we're fooked!" which is PREPOSTEROUS. One guy never played and the other guy was a CUT signed off a practice squad...

"Siliga was signed off the Seahawks' practice squad. A third-year undrafted free agent, Siliga appeared in one game for the Broncos last season. He's just a depth signing for a team that's taken a number of hits up front. Tue, Oct 22, 2013 07:33:00 PM"

The Pats didn't fortuitously strike gold signing Siliga, they signed him because most of Custer's Last Stand was already WIPED OUT. Any port in a storm corollary.

They managed to get through about 75% of the season's snaps without Gronk. That doesn't make Gronk unimportant to the team's success last season.

Primetime---

my comment was in response to a poster who was comparing the current situation of losing Armstead/Siligia to last year's 2013 situation of losing Wilfork/Kelly. Nothing more. I did not see much of a relationship myself....maybe you do.

I am not suggesting that I don't like Sealver Siligia, or that he does not have potential.

Most importantly, I am not suggesting that he is "unimportant."

Let's let this go now and move on, and thanks for the apology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore