PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jaguars release Darius

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this washed up stuff seems familiar. I don't think Darius is at Rodney's level but he could be a notch below when healthy. Certainly is an upgrade over Sanders. Darius is a big hitter, he is athletic and tough. He also has lots of experience and has performed at a high level for a long time. From scouts: "He has good recognition skills and instincts against the pass. He has good zone awareness." Sounds like a Patriots player to me.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=203080
Harrison gets the last laugh
Gamble by Patriots pays off
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]
Jan. 27, 2004
Houston - If the Green Bay Packers had the foresight of the New England Patriots, they might also be playing in Super Bowl XXXVIII.

The fact is, however, the Packers were just one of a whole bunch of National Football League teams that didn't think safety Rodney Harrison had much left after nine hard-hitting seasons in San Diego.

Never mind that Harrison was just one year removed from his second Pro Bowl selection and had just turned 30 years old when the Chargers released him Feb. 27 for salary-cap reasons. What the Patriots saw was a guy who could still deliver a lick and play the kind of hard-nosed football the Patriots demand.

ANOTHER '----- WAS RELEASED BY -----,SHOULD WE GO AFTER HIM THREAD?'

Oh, this offseason is so long I feel 65 years old.
im waiting for rex grossman to be released, and have a thread ,should we sign him to compete with brady

im waiting for rex grossman to be released, and have a thread ,should we sign him to compete with brady

The only thing more predictable than "should we sign so-and-so" threads are the people who pointlessly post to complain about it.

*Yawn*

Lighten up, folks. It's the offseason. ;)

As far as DD, I like him, but I don't know if its a fit for us. He is good enough to get starting money -- which he will get. And he won't start here unless Rodney gets hurt.

If we sign him, it will be VERY expensive Harrison injury insurance.

I don't know about his condition... but I know that he used to be pretty good.

I wonder if he wants a ring... or wants one more pay day.

Jacksonville released him because they liked their younger safeties better. I like our younger safeties better too. Sanders, Meriweather, Wilson...

Personally I don't know why teams release any player before training camp starts who is a veteran with a good history of play and performance unless it is because they want him to have time to join a new team by training camp.

If I were the Jags I would have had Darius and all the safeties in camp for awhile before deciding on releasing him

You never know when injury strikes and an early release can be deadly to the depth of your team - Ask Atlanta who wishes Schaub was never traded.

Personally I don't know why teams release any player before training camp starts who is a veteran with a good history of play and performance unless it is because they want him to have time to join a new team by training camp.

If I were the Jags I would have had Darius and all the safeties in camp for awhile before deciding on releasing him

You never know when injury strikes and an early release can be deadly to the depth of your team - Ask Atlanta who wishes Schaub was never traded.

Well, there has been speculation the move could be to free up cap space to sign Culpepper.

The guy has plenty left in the tank. A Broken hip, blown ACL and a broken leg aren't the kind of nagging, chronic injuries that indicate a guy whose body is wearing down.
Who needs a nagging hammy when you can tear up your ACL and break your hip?

If you're going to break down, don't do a halfway job of it, that's what I say :D

Well, a trade is different than cutting.

I agree with you about cutting a guy so early. Except for roster bonuses coming due, there is only one reason for cutting a guy before training camp, and that is you know you won't have the guy on your 53 no matter what. In that case, you are better off giving reps to someone who could use then for practice (rookies, pc candidates) or borderline guys hwo have a shot at the roster.

Free agents are one thing, but I'm always leery of guys who get cut before training camp for no apparent reason. Because there is a reason. It just isn't apparent.

ANOTHER '----- WAS RELEASED BY -----,SHOULD WE GO AFTER HIM THREAD?'

Oh, this offseason is so long I feel 65 years old.
Last week the Patriots released LS Tony Case. Should we go after him? We don't have much depth behind Lonnie Paxton and he could provide camp competition.

Last edited:
The haters are out again. I don't know if we would want Darius over one of the young Safeties but Safety isn't the deepest position for us. I know we've added Meriweather but Hawkins started most of last year, Baker is likely a journeyman, Wilson is a FA in 9 months. If Belichick thinks Darius has something left, there could well be a spot for him on the team.

The haters are out again. I don't know if we would want Darius over one of the young Safeties but Safety isn't the deepest position for us. I know we've added Meriweather but Hawkins started most of last year, Baker is likely a journeyman, Wilson is a FA in 9 months. If Belichick thinks Darius has something left, there could well be a spot for him on the team.

I know you're not high on Sanders for some inexplicable reason, but you can't simply leave him out of the equation.

Last edited:
Who needs a nagging hammy when you can tear up your ACL and break your hip?

If you're going to break down, don't do a halfway job of it, that's what I say :D

I think we've found a winner for post of the day! :rocker:

Darius was at the Cuse when I was there. He is def. a hard-hitting SS who is better in run support than coverage. I remember a big knock on him was his intelligence as far as picking up schemes, not sure if that has improved or not.

I think he also threw someone through a bar window at some point.

who was better at cuse?
tebucky or darius?
i remember a lot of ppl knocking us that we didnt take darius instead of lucky tebucky

as for darius
he's not that good in the "playmaking statistics" and bb loves for a safety to be, so im not so sure
before i looked up his stats i thought he'd be a great backup for rodney
even still, if he came for cheap to win, he'd prob be better than sanders, and def better than hawkins

I know you're not high on Sanders for some inexplicable reason, but you can't simply leave him out of the equation.
I didn't mention him as someone who wouldn't make the team.

Harrison, Wilson, Meriweather, Sanders are locks IMO.

After that are guys like Hawkins and Baker and I'm not locked into them being better than Darius although if Darius has much left he'd probably want to go somewhere that he could get more snaps.

who was better at cuse?
tebucky or darius?
i remember a lot of ppl knocking us that we didnt take darius instead of lucky tebucky

as for darius
he's not that good in the "playmaking statistics" and bb loves for a safety to be, so im not so sure
before i looked up his stats i thought he'd be a great backup for rodney
even still, if he came for cheap to win, he'd prob be better than sanders, and def better than hawkins

Darius hands down.

I was shocked Tebucky was drafted as high as he did. Esp. given he had only just transitioned to S from RB. He was def. a combine workout wonder.

Darius was the much better safety. Great tackler who laid guys out. Can't say I was paying much attention to the nuances of his coverage skills at the time as I was prob. a bit too tipsy to notice. :)

Last week the Patriots released LS Tony Case. Should we go after him? We don't have much depth behind Lonnie Paxton and he could provide camp competition.

Actually, the Pats do. Dave Thomas and Garrett Mills both have worked on their long snapping skills....

Case was released because they needed the space for Junior Seau.

While it's true that threads like these occur predictably, they are useful to fans who might not know a great deal about the player being discussed. Besides that, they're about FOOTBALL.

While it's true that threads like these occur predictably, they are useful to fans who might not know a great deal about the player being discussed. Besides that, they're about FOOTBALL.

So is the question what is Randy Moss jersey number gonna be? but we don't need to see another thread like that either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back