PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jaguars release Darius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't this the guy taking out full page ads during a contract dispute a couple years back? Doesn't sound like a good fit for the Pats.

Only if he was willing to come here for minimal amount of $$. He is 31 and has a long list of injuries --> http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/playerInjuries?categoryId=70958

He has suffered a broken hip (2001), left knee ACL tear (2004), and a broken right ankle/leg (2005). He also has had some concussions and a nagging shoulder injury.

We have a better version of him in the same position on D.

Last edited:
Seems like he is just an injury waiting to happen, it's probably time for him to hang them up. Plus I've never liked him since he clotheslined a guy during a game, say what you want about Rodney's hits but he never did anything like that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2904087

Any interest? I would for depth just in case Meriweather is not ready.

Not really. Darius is more of an in-the-box 8th man run defending safety. However, he would be a great backup to Rodney. In fact, Darius is a vicious hitter bordering on dirty and he's pretty savvy too..just like..Rodney.

Since it seems like BB is building the NFL version of Real Madrid or the Dream Team, bring him aboard!!

Darius was at the Cuse when I was there. He is def. a hard-hitting SS who is better in run support than coverage. I remember a big knock on him was his intelligence as far as picking up schemes, not sure if that has improved or not.

I think he also threw someone through a bar window at some point.

If he'd sign here, I'd go get him in a second.

5 years ago there would be no question.

Now, I'm skeptical that he has anything left in the tank.

The guy has plenty left in the tank. A Broken hip, blown ACL and a broken leg aren't the kind of nagging, chronic injuries that indicate a guy whose body is wearing down.

His knee will just be getting back to somewhere around 100% next season, so I think he'll be ready for a career resurgence. Signing him could pay off like getting Harrison in 2003.

If they released him, it could be because he failed a physical. If that is the case, he may not be ready to play.

That being said, IF he was ready to play and was willing to "Drink the Kool-aid" and be a back-up, I wouldn't see the harm in bringing him in to work for a spot on this team.

Darius was at the Cuse when I was there. He is def. a hard-hitting SS who is better in run support than coverage. I remember a big knock on him was his intelligence as far as picking up schemes, not sure if that has improved or not.

I think he also threw someone through a bar window at some point.

I say we bring him for the chargers game.

If they released him, it could be because he failed a physical. If that is the case, he may not be ready to play.

That being said, IF he was ready to play and was willing to "Drink the Kool-aid" and be a back-up, I wouldn't see the harm in bringing him in to work for a spot on this team.

He isn't ready to play... he's still recovering from a broken leg. He's supposedly on schedule to return before camp, but it's possible the Jags know something about complications in his rehab.

My guess would be that his release has something to do with Reggie Nelson falling to the Jags, and a history of animosity between Darius and the franchise stemming from some dicey contract negotiations.

I don't know if he'll want more money than we'll give, but if we do sign him, the guy would stand a good chance of winning the starting SS spot in camp.

ANOTHER '----- WAS RELEASED BY -----,SHOULD WE GO AFTER HIM THREAD?'

Oh, this offseason is so long I feel 65 years old.

This may be one of the exceptions, though. If the planets are aligned just right, he would be a great addition a la Harrison, Seau, etc. Hard-nosed guy, likes to win, talented.

If, big if, circumstances favor both parties, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him come here. Remember, the Pats brought back Tebucky last year, who is a similar style of player. Darius > Tebucky

I laughed out loud at this. Couldn't have said it better myself...

Darius and Rodney on the same team? Damn... who wants to go over the middle and get whacked? :D

I see a better likely hood of him going to the Jets and playing oppisite of Kerry Rhodes

both slow injury prone safetys with not much left in the tank, ill take my chances ;)

Good. At least Peyton will have one target out there while Marvin hides near the LOS. :D

Glad thats all Brady will have to go up against, after all - one tiny injury-prone safety. Phew!

I'd sign him in a second. He'll want a) decent money, and b) the likelyhood that he'll be starting.

The Pats could offer both if they decided to reinstitute the package they were installing before Milloy got released in 2003 - Milloy, Harrison & Victor Green in the big nickle package. I could see them doing it, going with Harrison, Darius & Meriweather (or Sanders, Hawkins, Scott, James, etc), especially with the possibility of Samuel holding out and weakening the cb position.

Jets could offer him both, and a chance to win games, if thats even a consideration for Darius.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back