PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Aldon Smith susp. 1 year. So where is Richardson's suspension?(Update: Wont be coming this year)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No cooperation from the alleged victim, not to mention that she tells the cop within the first minute or two that she doesn't wish to pursue charges, and goes on to repeat herself many times throughout the conversation that "she just wants to get her phone." 10 minutes into the situation, the cops are more concerned with looking in the weeds for Manziel's wallet than they are with any threat of physical violence.

Despite the media hype of her statement, the cop led her with the initial question of "are you in fear for your life?" That wasn't a statement that she came up with on her own. He gave her an either/or question, so the only way that she could've responded was that "I am in fear for my life." She openly admits that he took her iphone, so she threw his wallet out of the window. There are reports that she was seen trying to leave the car, yet he was preventing her from exiting. The police couldn't determine who had initiated the physical contact, only that both parties participated in some scratching/clutching/pawing at each other.

Johnny Football will get what's coming to him unless he changes his ways very quickly, but I think the lack of cooperation and evidence kind of tied the NFL's hands here.

Nothing ties the NFL's hands anymore, and that's the point. Deferring to the police and justice system would be a reasonable requirement to make for an employer's reprimand. The NFL doesn't wait on the justice system anymore -- which maybe you agree with maybe you don't, but now there's no clear logic for what separates one incident from the next. They'll punish if it looks bad, and they'll punish on how badly it looks (for them). These punishments are based on the NFL's perception, are purely subjective, and lead to wildly different severities for relatively similar incidents.

The incident looked bad. This wasn't just domestic abuse, this was domestic abuse while driving and possibly drunk around 6pm in the evening on a busy road. Multiple eyewitnesses described erratic driving before they got out of the car and had an altercation. We're lucky Manziel didn't slam into any innocent drivers on their way back from work.

Throwing out a question as I'm not sure what the right answer is.

Should Smith be given a lifetime ban from the NFL?

What does a player need to do in order to reach that point? Drugs, violence?

Hypothetically, what IF TB12 doctored footballs not once, not twice but three times. Is that ban-able?

if he gets caught repeated times, the penalty should be stiffer each time
Agreed.

My question is when does the league say when.

Its all arbitrary.

Agreed.

My question is when does the league say when.

Its all arbitrary.

the league needs to be specific and methodical about the penalties or they'll be in court all of the time.

the 'we can do it if we want to argument will never work'

the league needs to be specific and methodical about the penalties or they'll be in court all of the time.

the 'we can do it if we want to argument will never work'

....which they will never do. That is my issue.

Throwing out a question as I'm not sure what the right answer is.

Should Smith be given a lifetime ban from the NFL?

What does a player need to do in order to reach that point? Drugs, violence?

Hypothetically, what IF TB12 doctored footballs not once, not twice but three times. Is that ban-able?
I'm warming up to what Deus has been preaching for years where the league doesn't discipline anybody for league violations and it's up to the teams to discipline them as needed. Once Goodell started punishing guys for things they didn't get charged with it's gotten way out of hand. I think at the least nobody should be punished if they aren't charged. Sorry that would include Hardy, Rice, and Big Ben but, punishing guys who aren't charged opened up a huge can of worms.

What took so long for Blount and Bell to be suspended?

I'm warming up to what Deus has been preaching for years where the league doesn't discipline anybody for league violations and it's up to the teams to discipline them as needed. Once Goodell started punishing guys for things they didn't get charged with it's gotten way out of hand. I think at the least nobody should be punished if they aren't charged. Sorry that would include Hardy, Rice, and Big Ben but, punishing guys who aren't charged opened up a huge can of worms.

The approach has merit.

From a disciplinary perspective, I think the mess the league is in is more due to Goody's inconsistent, arbitrary, bull-in-a-china shop approach as opposed to Rozelle and Tags being more thoughtful and strategic.

Sheldon Richardson's punishment is that he has to play for the Jets.

At least he wasn't generally aware of a scheme that might or might not have existed to take .002 lbs of pressure out of some footballs.

My job subjects me to random drug tests and I would lose it if I was ever convicted of a misdemeanor charge of domestic abuse/assault and of course anything that would cause my Driver's license to be suspended. Imagine if the NFL had such standards? Nobody wants them to be choir boys, and frankly Josh Gordon must be sitting at home (smoking dope) and wondering why he didn't just beat up his girlfriend instead.

But I'm in agreement with Deus, you really can't do anything until they are convicted of something. The problem is, that these guys all have money and if O.J. has taught us anything, it's that people with money rarely get convicted of anything.

They need to collectively bargain a punishment table much like the drug one, because it is all so random, any punishment is basically indefensible in court.

Have to ask if he is getting suspended where is Sheldon Richardson's suspension?

He plays for a team Goodell likes and the medoiots and fanimals aren't baying for his blood so it's certainly not a priority item.

Besides, Goodell is busy working on his frivolous appeal of a SDNY decision overruling his batsh*t crazy arbitration ruling concerning ****amamie allegations of football tampering by the NFL's GOAT QB.:mad:

Besides, Goodell is busy working on his frivolous appeal of a SDNY decision overruling his batsh*t crazy arbitration ruling concerning ****amamie allegations of football tampering by the NFL's GOAT QB.:mad:

This post is a blatant infringement on the Joe Kerr Lunatic Fringe brand...you WILL be hearing from my lawyers if this persists...
  • :confused:

I love the comments after that story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents