PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

****** Official Patriots v. Texans post game thread ******

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didnt that moron nantz say he saw two seconds on the clock when he heard the whistle?

Actually, Nantz was correct when they showed the clock and the Time out called.. At first, I thought that it was at 0:00, but the replay showed otherwise.

I'm not sure this is true......OPI is not the same thing as illegal contact......once the ball is in the air, I don't believe the 5 yard contact zone applies

If you go back and watch the replay, the ball isn't in the air when Hernandez makes contact with the defender. In fact, after the contact, he takes 1 step to the right before Brady throws the ball. The contact between the two only counts if the ball is already in the air and it wasn't.

And that's without mentioning Lloyd's absolutely vicious ball toss and the possibility that Houston didn't get the TO in time at the end of the 1st half.

Possibility? Putting that 2 seconds back on the clock was one of the most blatant "mistakes" of all IMO. It was hilarious because Simms said it was the correct call and they did a replay to prove there were 2 seconds on the clock when the ref blew the whistle....only the replay ended up showing that the ref didn't blow the whistle until after the clock had expired. Simms promptly STFU. Worst of all was the fact the the ref put the time back on because Schaub told him too. Just disgusting display by the refs all the way around.

Tbh, I thought there was one second left when someone called a timeout. Worse call was that fumble, awful awful call. and the Lloyd one was bad too. Foster was definitely short on that 4th and 1 down 38-13. Dunno how the refs jacked that up.

The refs were doing everything in their power to give Houston the game.

The OPI on Hernandez shouldn't have been called as it was contact that occurred inside the 5 yard area.

It was clearly OPI.

There shouldn't have been a call on Gregory because he didn't hit Helmet to Helmet, despite what Simms said.

It was clearly helmet to helmet contact.

Foster's Right Elbow was clearly down on the play the Pats challenged despite what the ref said.

I think you're right but I also think the the call was too close to overturn.

Foster didn't get into the End Zone despite what the ref said.

Agreed but it was pretty close and next to impossible to overturn.

It should have been a fumble because the ball was loose before the forward progress was stopped.

Probably the worst call of this weekend - and that includes a lot of bad calls!

And on the 2 PT Conversion, Wilfork was clearly held (as he was just about every play). The Refs should have called numerous holdings on Houston. I mean, the Pats D-line were constantly having to adjust their jerseys from them having to be pulled.

I'm not surprised refs don't call holding. At this point, I'm surprised when they do. It's a big problem in the NFL and only going to get worse.

The flag for running into Mesko on Shiloh Keo should not have been picked up. It was CLEAR as day that Chung got pushed into Keo AFTER Keo had already hit Mesko.

The flag should have been picked up as it was because Keo only slid underneath Mesko causing Mesko to partially land on him. No penalty since he didn't run into the kicker.

Overall, you were definitely watching this game with homer eyes.

Last edited:
Im still laughin my arse off at SPikes doing the worm....
NKO9J.gif

If you go back and watch the replay, the ball isn't in the air when Hernandez makes contact with the defender. In fact, after the contact, he takes 1 step to the right before Brady throws the ball. The contact between the two only counts if the ball is already in the air and it wasn't.

That is irrelevant on offensive pass interference. If you create the separation illegally, it's OPI even if the ball isn't in the air.

Re: The Official Patriots vs Texans Divisional playoff Post game thread

While I do think the refs hurt the Patriots much more than they hurt the Texans, let's be honest and admit that a certain holding call was more than a bit iffy, and let's admit that they should have gotten Gost for a personal foul for his leg whip tackle attempt.

Yeah, they were bad all around. The non-fumble call in particular was a head-scratcher.

That is irrelevant on offensive pass interference. If you create the separation illegally, it's OPI even if the ball isn't in the air.

that is true BUT only when the WR INITIATES the contact...the Texan DB initiated the contact...therefore, all bets are off at that point..I'm looking at it on DVR right now...the DB comes up with his hands out on Hernandez who then pushes him off, before the ball is in the air...the DB initiated contact therefore it cannot be PI on Hernandez...

b) Initiating contact with a defender by shoving or pushing off thus creating a separation in an attempt to catch a pass.

I AM a homer but I see what I SEE with my own eyes...and I SAW a whole lot worse than this call today IN PERSON....if you wish to continue to belabor this by using specious justifications, feel free. I refuse to back down.

It was clearly OPI.

No, it wasn't. Not according to the rules as they are posted in the NFL Rulebook. First and foremost, they were within 5 yards. Secondly, the ball was not in the air at the time.

It was clearly helmet to helmet contact.

It most definitely wasn't a helmet to helmet hit. First and foremost, Gregory LED with his hands. Secondly, his right shoulder landed squarely in the center of the receiver's chest. Replay confirmed it.

I think you're right but I also think the the call was too close to overturn.

It wasn't close at all. Again, the replay CLEARLY showed his elbow down prior to him extending the ball. What you think and what the replay showed are completely different.

Agreed but it was pretty close and next to impossible to overturn.

It wasn't close at all. Again, the replay CLEARLY showed Foster being STOPPED short of the goal line and his butt on the ground. Saying it was impossible to over-turn is BS when it was as plain as day from the right side goal line view. If fact, NONE of the views showed the ball crossing the line. THAT should have over-turned it.

Probably the worst call of this weekend - and that includes a lot of bad calls!

The flag should have been picked up as it was because Keo only slid underneath Mesko causing Mesko to partially land on him. No penalty since he didn't run into the kicker.

You might want to try watching the replay again. Keo 's right shoulder slid into Mesko's plant leg. That is why it caused Mesko to "partially land on Keo". It should have been a penalty. Rule 12, Section 2, Article 9, Item 1 (a):
It is a foul for roughing the kicker if the defensive player "Contacts the plant leg of the kicker while his kicking leg is still in the air".

The rules support what I said. Not your arbitrary claims to the contrary.

Last edited:
that is true BUT only when the WR INITIATES the contact...the Texan DB initiated the contact...therefore, all bets are off at that point..I'm looking at it on DVR right now...the DB comes up with his hands out on Hernandez who then pushes him off, before the ball is in the air...the DB initiated contact therefore it cannot be PI on Hernandez...

b) Initiating contact with a defender by shoving or pushing off thus creating a separation in an attempt to catch a pass.

I AM a homer but I see what I SEE with my own eyes...and I SAW a whole lot worse than this call today IN PERSON....if you wish to continue to belabor this by using specious justifications, feel free. I refuse to back down.

It was definitely OPI. It was so blatant that Hernandez didn't even pretend to put up a fight.

Vereen reminds me a lot of CJ Spiller both in talent, style and how their careers began.

I suggest you go and read the rule because the rule contradicts you.

Rule 8, Section 5, Article 2 is the rule you should read.

It was definitely OPI. It was so blatant that Hernandez didn't even pretend to put up a fight.

Not according to the way the rules are written, Deus.

Talib led the team today with 9 solo tackles ... 10 total tackles.

But the 9 solo tackles ... that's a huge number.

I'm a very pizzed off homer...so I'm going with the "DB initiated contact" defense...but beyond that...yeah...it looks like PI Hernandez....

you just WAIT until I get the shots of the holds on Wilfork in this game though....I WILL run amok!!!!

reaction.gif

Mccourty, big play opening kickoff.
pats average offence, still 41 pts!!!!
imo, texans defence better then ravens, and ravens have no one like watt, and slower lbs

Re: ****** Unofficial Patriots v. Texans post game thread ******

I scanned the board and saw no references to Welker being illegally held and bumped, so I'm guessing you folks at home didn't SEE much on the tube....there was an orchestrated,well performed intentional pass inteference strategy aimed at Welker the whole game

Did Bill Polian steal your your patsfans.com password?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye