PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

****** Official Patriots v. Texans post game thread ******

Status
Not open for further replies.
Special team needs to get their act together.

Kick coverage needs to get their act together. Punt Coverage, the FG unit and the Kick return unit did fine today.

Here is my take on the kick coverage:

First off, Houston should have been called for holding or illegal blocks in the back on BOTH the long returns. I am not surprised they weren't because the refs didn't call but one holding call on Houston all night..

On the first kick-off, (94 yard return) You had, from left to right:

Arrington, Bolden, Rivera, Ebner, White, Gostkowski, Slater, Koutivedes, McCourty, Wilson, Cole.

Bolden and Rivera both got blocked out.
Cole and Wilson ran too deep in their lanes and blocked themselves out.
Ebner got held by the guy he engaged.
Koutivedes seems to be the one who lost his lane assignment as, he seemed to be the one who Manning ran by. Slater might have also been out of position slightly.

On the 4th return, where Gost was called for the horse-collar, you had the following from left to right:

McCourty, Cole, Wilson, Koutivedes, Slater, Gostkowski, White, Ebner, Rivera, Bolden, Arrington.

On this one, Cole and Bolden are both held, allowing Manning to get by easily. However, Arrington also seemed to be out of his lane.

On the 65 yard return, from left to right, you had:
Arrington, Bolden, Cole, White, Slater, Gostkowski, Ebner, Koutivedes, Rivera, Wilson, McCourty

On this coverage, White and Slater switch lanes just prior to engaging. However, White goes down and effectively cuts off Rivera and Koutivedes from the play since they are right on top of him.

Ebner was illegally blocked in the back, knocking him down. This forces Slater to JUMP Ebner in an attempt to stay in the play. This is after Slater was also pushed from behind.

Cole seems to be out of his lane and is too close to Slater, not giving himself enough room to cut back towards Manning and this allows Manning to run by him.

Bolden didn't adjust at all on this play and over-ran it and took himself out. I was surprised that he stayed so far to the left despite the ball being kicked towards the opposite side of the field. I would have expected him to cut back behind Cole and Slater to help Arrington with contain.

There was ONE kick coverage that was done perfectly. The one that held Manning to just a 10 yard (or so) return. It was the same as the previous set-up, except that White and Slater swapped places to start and Ebner and Koutivedes swapped lanes just before hitting the blockers of Houston.

What was interesting was that Patrick Chung was not out there, but Brandon Bolden was...

I'm really happy we don't have to face Trindon Hollliday next week.

Re: The Official Patriots vs Texans Divisional playoff Post game thread

I don't want to see those refs again during the playoffs, they gave every close call the the texans. I'm especially thinking of the fumble that wasn't cause of the whistle and the TD that was six inches from the goal line. Oh and that fifteen yarder for delay of game was pretty ticky tack.

I had forgotten the 15 yard delay of game for "throwing the ball at the ref" because the Ref wasn't paying attention when Lloyd flipped the ball at him.. Talk about friggin abuse..

[*]Brady, once again, has accomplished nothing, and Sanchez would have beaten him in the playoffs
[/list]
Not exactly!

Sanchez and Tebow have accomplished nothing and the two aforementioned players, along with Patrick Chung, will be riding pine in the CFL next season.

After watching the Ravens STs KO coverage against Denver and ours today, it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility to see back to back kick off returns for TDS.

The problem is we're not particularly strong on KR, they are as Jacoby Jones is one of the most dangerous return men in the league. We HAVE to avoid letting ST be a factor in that game, if you let the Ravens hang around like we let Houston hang around they will likely take advantage. Luckily, we were just that much better than Houston.

Re: ****** Unofficial Patriots v. Texans post game thread ******

If I were O'Brien, I wouldn't be putting up any new wall hangings. His special team units have been thoroughly underwhelming for 2 years now.

Except that just isn't the case. Pats had the 4th best kick coverage unit going into the game. Their Punt coverage unit is pretty damn good also.. The punt return unit is good. The only thing they're lacking is a true kick returner, though McCourty been fairly good all year.

I had forgotten the 15 yard delay of game for "throwing the ball at the ref" because the Ref wasn't paying attention when Lloyd flipped the ball at him.. Talk about friggin abuse..

Does Joey Crawford officiate NFL games now? Weak ass call.

The refs were doing everything in their power to give Houston the game.

The OPI on Hernandez shouldn't have been called as it was contact that occurred inside the 5 yard area.
There shouldn't have been a call on Gregory because he didn't hit Helmet to Helmet, despite what Simms said.
Foster's Right Elbow was clearly down on the play the Pats challenged despite what the ref said.
Foster didn't get into the End Zone despite what the ref said.
It should have been a fumble because the ball was loose before the forward progress was stopped.
And on the 2 PT Conversion, Wilfork was clearly held (as he was just about every play). The Refs should have called numerous holdings on Houston. I mean, the Pats D-line were constantly having to adjust their jerseys from them having to be pulled.
The flag for running into Mesko on Shiloh Keo should not have been picked up. It was CLEAR as day that Chung got pushed into Keo AFTER Keo had already hit Mesko.

see my post from earlier in this thread...I'm very disappointed at what I saw IN PERSON...you have NO IDEA how bad this game was slanted by this scurrilous group of thieves in striped shirts....I'm going to watch the game now...but I've never been more disappointed after a game in my life ..atrocious officiating without question...cannot be argued...the question is WHY??????????????????????????

I'm not sure if anyone has brought it up yet but I think we need to find an alternative option in terms of special teams. The kick coverage has flopped time and time again throughout the season, and was the only reason the Texans weren't totally blown out. It has to start with the coach.

That's without delving into our very mediocre kick returning.

The refs were doing everything in their power to give Houston the game.

The OPI on Hernandez shouldn't have been called as it was contact that occurred inside the 5 yard area.
There shouldn't have been a call on Gregory because he didn't hit Helmet to Helmet, despite what Simms said.
Foster's Right Elbow was clearly down on the play the Pats challenged despite what the ref said.
Foster didn't get into the End Zone despite what the ref said.
It should have been a fumble because the ball was loose before the forward progress was stopped.
And on the 2 PT Conversion, Wilfork was clearly held (as he was just about every play). The Refs should have called numerous holdings on Houston. I mean, the Pats D-line were constantly having to adjust their jerseys from them having to be pulled.
The flag for running into Mesko on Shiloh Keo should not have been picked up. It was CLEAR as day that Chung got pushed into Keo AFTER Keo had already hit Mesko.
And that's without mentioning Lloyd's absolutely vicious ball toss and the possibility that Houston didn't get the TO in time at the end of the 1st half.

While I do think the refs hurt the Patriots much more than they hurt the Texans, let's be honest and admit that a certain holding call was more than a bit iffy, and let's admit that they should have gotten Gost for a personal foul for his leg whip tackle attempt.

I agree on the personal foul call on Gostkowski. But the holding against the Texans was dead on. Much more so than the OPI, or the delay of game on Lloyd..

Zebras tried to make a game out of this after we closed it down. Losing Gronk sucks for our SB aspirations. I think we handle the Ratbirds. Props to our D. Vereen, who knew?
Let's just hope the 9ers get beaten. They looked unstoppable last night.

worse than that ... they were holding the entire game. Wilfork had a guy draped over his left shoulder one play as he pursued Matt Squab. wilfork was mauled the entire game.

Last edited:
Someone help me out please...WTF happened to Chandler Jones? I don't remember him getting hurt and I haven't heard anything on Twitter.

Injured ankle..

the refereeing made this game 41-28....without the help of the refs, the pats quite possibly would have wound up 50-something to 13....

- no call on roughing the punter
- forward progress on a fumble

there were others....seemed like the whole rest of the world was rooting for the texans.....

Official Houston Texans Vs New England Patriots AFC Divisional Playoff Gameday Thread - Page 105 - Houston Texans Message Boards

Check this page. The Houston fans even knew the refs were keeping me in the game.

What fcking ahole team of refs....

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabretexan
the refs are just giving us calls to keep this game close. let's be honest. we didn't get that TD and the whistle wasn't blown until after the clock hit 00. this is embarrassing. we need help and will still likely lose.

* #1050 *
3 Hours Ago
sabretexan
Veteran

don't get your hopes up. we were gifted a td and really shouldnt have been allowed to kick a fg before the half because the whistle was blown after it hit 0.

the refs are trying to keep this game interesting let's face it.

Calls go both ways.

:confused:

No WR on the Ravens is close to Andre Johnson, and to my eyes Talib played quite well today, even in run support.

Torrey Smith is close to Andre Johnson. In fact, Smith actually scares me more because of his deep threat ability..

Having said that, Talib played a helluva game.. People complaining about him really are nitpicking...

Oh, I forgot another item:

If Mankins hadn't played, the Patriots would have been able to run the ball.

Official Houston Texans Vs New England Patriots AFC Divisional Playoff Gameday Thread - Page 105 - Houston Texans Message Boards

Check this page. The Houston fans even knew the refs were keeping me in the game.

What fcking ahole team of refs....

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabretexan
the refs are just giving us calls to keep this game close. let's be honest. we didn't get that TD and the whistle wasn't blown until after the clock hit 00. this is embarrassing. we need help and will still likely lose.

* #1050 *
3 Hours Ago
sabretexan
Veteran

don't get your hopes up. we were gifted a td and really shouldnt have been allowed to kick a fg before the half because the whistle was blown after it hit 0.

the refs are trying to keep this game interesting let's face it.

Calls go both ways.

Glad to see they can appreciate the obvious!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes