PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Richard Hill profiles Rich Ohrnberger for Pats Pulpit.

Patriots Roster Prediction #53: G/C Rich Ohrnberger - Pats Pulpit

Past Role: Last season, Ohrnberger saw limited playing time due to the high level of performance by both Stephen Neal and Logan Mankins. When Neal was out with his annual injury, Dan Connolly filled the Right Guard position admirably. In a few snaps (6), Ohrnberger played RG while Connolly stepped back and played Fullback. The Pats traded up in the 2009 Draft to secure Ohrnberger's selection, but he was unable to claim the starting back-up role on the depth chart.

Ohrnberger was drafted as a guard, but also went through Center training during his first off-season with the Patriots. His versatility absolutely led to his roster spot.

Predicted Role: Ohrnberger will most likely provide back-up depth at both the Guard and Center position. He won't, and shouldn't, be the top back-up, since that position is most likely locked up by Super-Sub Dan Connolly. With 2010 Draft 6th Round pick Ted Larsen fighting for the same position (Larsen is a drafted center, groomed guard, like Ohrnberger was a guard, groomed center), expect Ohrnberger to be on the roster bubble.

Since both Ohrnberger and Larsen are late round selections, don't expect either to see preferential treatment, or any "learning curve" time given to higher draft picks (see: Brace, Ron). Whichever player is better, expect them to make the roster. I believe that Ohrnberger's experience in the system gives him the edge. Expect Larsen on the Practice Squad (or to make the roster, and then get moved to the Practice Squad when Wes Welker returns from his injury).

Summary: Look for Ohrnberger to continue what he did last season. He'll ride the pine, unless injuries force him on the field. He'll fight Larsen for a roster spot and should provide solid offensive line depth and versatility.

I disagree with Hill's prediction, because I think Larsen has more upside than Ohrnberger. I can see Ohrnberger going to the Practice Squad; Larsen will be picked up by another team before he ends up there. On the other hand the speculation of somebody such as one of these two being moved to make room for Welker coming off of PUP is a possibility. However if the decision is to move Larsen in that case, my guess is he would be put on IR rather than being cut with the hope he would clear waivers and make it to the Practice Squad.

Hill also profiles T Mark LeVoir

Patriots Roster Prediction #52: T Mark LeVoir - Pats Pulpit

Past Role: In 2008, LeVoir was asked to start a couple games due to injuries. The Patriots won both of those games. In 2009, LeVoir had a more reserved role due to the emergence of rookie sensation Sebastian Vollmer. However, due to the constant state of injury of the Patriots O-Line (Matt Light and Nick Kaczur combined for 8 missed games), LeVoir was the top back-up as Vollmer was pushed to be a starter.

LeVoir is a capable back-up tackle and also provides depth when the Patriots utilized their 6 O-Line set. LeVoir comes in as a "tight end", but in reality he just provides extra blocking for Tom Brady. While I may have LeVoir down on the roster list, that's more due to the depth of the Patriots and not LeVoir's lack of ability. LeVoir should be able to make the roster - I just hope he doesn't have to see the field.

Predicted Role: LeVoir will do the same thing he did last year. He'll be a back-up tackle who can provide mobility on 6 O-Line sets. The Patriots love having additional depth in case of injury and LeVoir will provide excellent depth.

Summary: LeVoir won't be on the field much as a starter, but he's a good additional blocker on running and passing plays. I'm not sure if he'll be much use if there are no injuries, but he's a capable back-up and will provide great depth.

Injuries are a reality in the NFL, especially to linemen. Like it or not, LeVoir will start some games this year. He may not be what you want as a starting tackle, but he's about as good as you can reasonably expect your backup tackle to be.

I think it quite possible that both Larsen and Orhnberger make the roster.

Starters: Light, Kaczur, Koppen, Neal, Vollmer
Game Day Backups: Connolly, LeVoir
Inactives: Ohrnberger, Larsen
Practice Squad: Bussey, Welch

I just hope that Connolly shows significant improvement. If not, any injury to an interior lineman will be absolutely devastating.

I think it quite possible that both Larsen and Orhnberger make the roster.

Starters: Light, Kaczur, Koppen, Neal, Vollmer
Game Day Backups: Connolly, LeVoir
Inactives: Ohrnberger, Larsen
Practice Squad: Bussey, Welch
Frankly when you get past the first 7, which seem to be in stone, I think we have absolutely no clue how the rest stack up against each other, and I don't think they are far from all being equal walking into camp, with everyone of them having an equal opportunity to make the team based on what they do for the next 5-6 weeks.

Agreed....

Frankly when you get past the first 7, which seem to be in stone, I think we have absolutely no clue how the rest stack up against each other, and I don't think they are far from all being equal walking into camp, with everyone of them having an equal opportunity to make the team based on what they do for the next 5-6 weeks.

WEEI's Christopher Price profiles a pair of offensive linemen.

It Is What It Is Rating the Roster, Training Camp Edition (Part 1)

75. Offensive lineman John Wise: The former college wrestler is returning to a game he last played competitively in 2004. (He played two seasons with Western Illinois before transferring to Illinois and becoming part of the wrestling team.) He’s a long shot to remain with the team as anything more than a practice squadder, but he’s managed to win over Stephen Neal, a fellow college wrestler who has made himself into a premier guard. “I really like the guy,” Neal said of Wise, who could be seen working with him on several occasions over the course of spring practice. “He’s a tough kid, a strong guy. Athletic. I’m just trying to tell him … I don’t try to tell him what to do, I just try to … if he asks me a question, I just say ‘Hey, you could have your stance a little bit better this way or that way.’ Just a few little things that i see that might be able to help him. That’s about it.”
72. Offensive lineman Ted Larsen: Larsen is likely a long-term project, meaning the only way he’ll see the field this year is because of emergency. The first member of the Patriots’ rookie class to sign a contract, Larsen (6-foot-3 and 304 pounds) started his collegiate career as a defensive tackle for N.C. State until he moved to center as a junior, where stayed there his final two years as a collegian. He took a few penalty laps in spring practices, likely the result of some growing pains as a professional.

Price is doing this as part of his "Rating the Roster" series, which he bases on "a combination of factors, including overall ability, positional versatility, expectations, contract situation and place on the depth chart. We also looked at what might be best described as intangibles — loosely defined as a mixture of clubhouse character and willingness to work. In all, it helped us determine the overall value of each player within the Patriots system." What baffles me is that Larsen is ranked so low: number 72. Seems to be he should be ranked much higher, rather than stuffed between Dane Fletcher and Darnell Jenkins in these ratings.

I'm not trying to be argumentative...just speaking from my perspective but like all of us, I watch every snap and go to a bunch of home games. I don't think there's ever been any question that Vollmer's footwork is much better than Kaczur's. I watched them both play the RT position and I feel more comfortable with Vollmer's size and athleticism, especially when it comes to handling the better edge rushers in the league.Some people opine that flip flopping Light and Vollmer at LT and LG might be a viable option...personally,I feel light is a LT until he retires, so I guess it makes sense, with the absence of Mankins to play Vollmer at guard. The thing is Kaczur's first step isn't going to improve and the Pats will have to put up with pressures from the outside against the better rushers. At this point I'd be looking to minimize the amount of hits Brady takes over the course of a season and I feel Vollmer would do a better job of that than Kaczur at RT.Another thing is the health of Neal...it's likely he goes down at some point given the past few seasons.Moving Kaczur to RG and playing Vollmer at RT with LeVoir the third man in makes sense to me. Just my opinion.Mankins has really mucked this whole thing up.

I agree with this and especially the last sentence...

I am still waiting to hear something positive about this OL from camp besides some incidental stories about Vollmer stone walling a couple guys.

I don't see our OLBs/pass rush as the biggest problem on this team compared to our OL situation. If we don't open gaps than it is another season of limitless blitzing on Brady, and none of our RBs have shown they can consistently be their own best blocker like Corey Dillon used to be.

Bruce Allen of Patriots Daily on Nick Kaczur:

Roster Watch – Nick Kaczur | Patriots Daily

So does Logan Mankins’ holdout potentially save Nick Kaczur’s job?

It seems that way to me. Earlier this offseason when I was pondering the makeup of the Patriots offensive line for the upcoming season, it seemed fairly clear that Sebastian Vollmer needs to be on the field more. With Matt Light garnering strong public support from Bill Belichick and Tom Brady, attention shifted over to the other tackle, Nick Kaczur.

Kaczur has been relatively solid on the field during his five seasons with the Patriots. Drafted in the third round of the 2005 draft, Kaczur started eleven games in his rookie season, filling in for the injured Light at left tackle. The following season, he replaced Ryan O’Callaghan at right tackle in November, and has pretty much held the position since then.

Allen also looks at the whole Offensive Line:

Positional Previews – Offensive Line | Patriots Daily

Summary
With or without Mankins, the Patriots offensive line figures to be a solid, if aging, unit. Younger players such as Vollmer, Ohrnberger and perhaps Larsen need to be able to grow into larger roles with the line, eventually stepping in for some of the veterans. The line has been steady pretty much throughout the Belichick era, and figures to be so again this season.

Yeah I know, it's Ron Borges, so if you don't like him, don't click on the link.

Stephen Neal longs for Olympic glory - BostonHerald.com

For much of his life Stephen Neal harbored two dreams. One was to play professional football. The other was to wrestle for an Olympic medal. For quite some time, it appeared the latter was more likely than the former, especially after Neal twice won the NCAA Division 1 heavyweight title while at Cal State-Bakersfield as well as the Pan-Am Games and the World Championships, where he upset Russian champion Andrej Shumilin.

In those days, Neal was an athletic, 275-pound freestyle wrestler with cult status, adept enough to defeat future UFC star Brock Lesnar to win the 1999 NCAA title, but also someone who had not played a down of college football. So how’d he end up in the NFL the past nine years?

“Beats me,” Neal joked yesterday at the opening of his ninth training camp. “It was a dream for me just to get an opportunity.”
By the end of last season, Neal could have been awarded a medal for valor, playing with a chronic shoulder that barely was functioning and a knee that was hollering at him in varying tones of voice.
This led to a moment of public introspection in which he hinted he may have played his last game. So what made him decide to come back? Mostly that he never decided.

“I didn’t really make a decision,” Neal said. “The question was: Can I still help? They think I can, so I’m here and 5,000-percent committed. It’s a pleasure to be around everybody. I don’t look too far into the future.”

If he does, Neal might see himself in wrestling tights, pinning some unsuspecting Russian to the floor in London in 2012 and then holding aloft a gold medal.

Who knows? Right now all he knows is he’s living a dream but sees nothing wrong with having another.

“You never know,” Neal said. “I never thought I’d last this long in the NFL. If I want to try and make the (Olympic) team I just have to go to the training center and lose about 40 pounds.”

With that Stephen Neal laughed the confidently contented laugh of someone who knows dreams can come true.

More on Kaczur's move to guard, this from Jennifer Toland of the Worcester Telegram.

Patriots' Kaczur willing to learn at guard
“It’s definitely a little different,” Kaczur said. “You shorten up your stance and your base a little bit because you have people all around you. I’m used to a lot of open space, and now my space is more confined, so you’ve got to get used to that so you don’t trip on the guys beside you all the time.”

Part of the transition, Kaczur said, is learning, or relearning, the plays.

“You’d think it’d be the same thing,” he said, “but every time a play comes up, I still think of the tackle and I’m like, ‘No, I’m inside now.’ So just changes to different linebackers and things like that.”

He said he looked forward to the challenge of the new position “and I’ll do what I can.”

Connolly started four games at right guard last season when Stephen Neal was injured.

With Kaczur at left guard, second-year lineman Sebastian Vollmer worked at right tackle yesterday. Vollmer was also at that position during minicamp.

The 6-foot-8, 315-pound Vollmer impressed during his eight starts as a rookie while filling in for both Kaczur and Light.

Some camp observations from Sunday's practice by PFW's Andy Hart.

Official Patriots Football Weekly Blog Blog Archive From the Hart: Practice 7 observations

Stephen Neal may have also gotten banged up, although no specific sign of injury was seen. The right guard did not take any reps during the team action that closed out practice, instead he was standing behind the drill alongside fellow former wrester John Wise. During that team action Matt Light was at left tackle, Ryan Wendell at left guard, Dan Koppen at center, Dan Connolly at Neal’s right guard spot and Sebastian Vollmer at right tackle. Rich Ohrnberger also got a couple reps at right guard when Connolly took his turn as a goal line fullback.

The second group of offensive linemen to get a chance in goal line action late in practice included Mark LeVoir at left tackle, George Bussey at left guard, Ohrnberger at center, Ted Larsen at right guard and Thomas Welch at right tackle.

During the full-speed goal line drill the offense was stuffed twice yet again, continuing the general trend from the first couple days of camp. BenJarvus Green-Ellis, following Connolly’s jumbo block, was cut down well short of the plane.

Also, Matt Light had fun messing around with reporters this weekend:

A few Light-hearted moments; Sat. PM Notebook

Matt Light is a notorious jokester in the Patriots locker room, with teammates and the media alike. The left tackle’s sense of humor was on full display Saturday, when he was asked if, as a veteran, he dreads training camp.

“Oh, it’s a great opportunity to come out and lose some pounds, man. What are you talking about?” Light replied, while turning to look at a somewhat overweight reporter.

“Why are you looking at me?” the reporter asked good-naturedly.

“Not so much your upper part, but your midsection,” Light pointed out with a laugh.

Christopher Price of WEEI profiles a couple more linemen.

It Is What It Is Rating the Roster, Training Camp Edition (Part 2)

66. Offensive lineman George Bussey: Bussey is in a tough spot. The Patriots took him in the fifth round of the 2009 draft, but the 6-foot-2, 306-pounder didn’t play a single regular-season snap all last year after he was placed on injured reserve in early September because of a knee injury. He does have the advantage of having spent a year in the system, but that lost time pretty much negates any edge he might have on any sort of rookie competition. It’s worth mentioning that Bussey could benefit if Logan Mankins stayed away because of a contract dispute — Nick Kaczur (who played tackle last year) was moved into Mankins’ spot in spring practices. If Kaczur stays at guard, it leaves one fewer tackle, increasing Bussey’s chances of making the team. It’s not much, but it’s something.
65. Offensive lineman Ryan Wendell: When it came to John Wise, I’ve often used Stephen Neal as a “best possible scenario” for the rookie’s development. The same can be said for Wendell. Like Neal, he’s an interior lineman who has bounced around a bit early in his career, but has managed to stick around New England despite being released by the Patriots on multiple occasions. Like Neal, he’s clearly highly thought of by the organization — he spent the bulk of the 2009 season on the practice squad, but the franchise still paid him like an active player. (ESPN reported late last year that instead of the usual practice-squad minimum contract, the Patriots thought enough of him to pay him like someone on the active roster — a pay boost of roughly $150,000 to approximately $300,000.) And, if Mankins stays away, he fulfills the requirement of keeping at least two Fresno State guys (Wendell and James Sanders) on the Patriots roster.

Mike Reiss of espnBoston believes that the Pats are Missing Mankins More Than Ever

But through 17 practices of training camp, one wonders if Mankins' absence might end up having the most crippling effect of all.

Left tackle Matt Light previously said that the goal was to become a more physical offense in 2010, and it obviously hurts that one of the unit's most physical players is not present. This seemed to show up at the first practice of camp when the Patriots were working on the goal line and a run over the left side was stopped short of a touchdown, with nose tackle Vince Wilfork breaking through the line and stonewalling running back Sammy Morris.

Overall, running back Laurence Maroney estimated that the running game has had about a 50-50 success rate in the red zone and on the goal line. While allowing that time is needed for the offensive line to gel, and credit must also go to the defense, those early results are probably concerning to the team's coaching staff.

It hasn't helped that the Patriots are down to their third layer of depth at left guard, with Mankins' projected replacement, Nick Kaczur, missing the past 11 padded practices and telling teammates that he has a significant back injury that could sideline him indefinitely and potentially threaten his 2010 season. Kaczur could seek another medical opinion, but the initial diagnosis is grim.

That has thrust five-year veteran Dan Connolly (four career starts) into the starting unit. At times, second-year player Ryan Wendell has filled in there as well.

The rest of the line has remained intact, with Light at left tackle, Dan Koppen at center, Stephen Neal at right guard and Sebastian Vollmer at right tackle.

Prior to this, Reiss also asked Who Will Step Up At Left Guard?

Kaczur was the projected replacement for Logan Mankins, who has not reported to camp in a contract dispute.

Here is one opinion as to how the left guard depth chart now looks without Mankins and Kaczur:

Dan Connolly (5th year) -- The 6-foot-4, 313-pound Connolly has appeared in 19 career games with four starts (all coming last year at right guard). He originally joined the Patriots as a practice squad player in 2007.

Ryan Wendell (2nd year) -- A bit undersized at 6-foot-2, 290 pounds, Wendell joined the Patriots as a rookie free agent in 2008 and spent most of the last two seasons on the practice squad. He has appeared in two regular-season games as a reserve and as part of the wedge on the kickoff return unit.

Rich Ohrnberger (2nd year) -- The Patriots made an aggressive move to select Ohrnberger (6-2, 300) in the fourth round of the 2009 draft, dealing veteran cornerback Ellis Hobbs for two fifth-round draft choices, and then trading the two fifth-rounders to move up a round for Ohrnberger. He appeared in three games as a rookie, either as a reserve or on special teams.

Ted Larsen (rookie) -- A sixth-round draft choice out of N.C. State, Larsen (6-2, 305) was moved from defensive tackle to center in his junior season in 2008. He has lined up at center and guard in training camp practices.

Eric Ghiaciuc (6th year) -- The 6-foot-4, 303-pound Ghiaciuc was signed to a one-year deal on Wednesday. He played in 48 games (42 starts) for the Bengals from 2005-2008, and was out of football in 2009 until the Chargers signed him late in the season, although he did not appear in a game for San Diego.

Last edited:
Guiaciuc is likely the first of many veteran tryouts. At least this guy has started more than a few games.

Eric Ghiaciuc (6th year) -- The 6-foot-4, 303-pound Ghiaciuc was signed to a one-year deal on Wednesday. He played in 48 games (42 starts) for the Bengals from 2005-2008, and was out of football in 2009 until the Chargers signed him late in the season, although he did not appear in a game for San Diego.

Christopher Price of WEEI also takes a look at the Left Guard position, focusing on Dan Connolly.

What's Next For The Patriots At Left Guard

Since then, Connolly has stepped into the role of No. 1 backup among interior linemen, and started four games last season when right guard Stephen Neal went down late last year. In fact, he participated in every offensive snap in Week 11, 13, 14 and 15 for the Patriots at right guard, and was the likely candidate to take over at right guard if Neal had decided to retire. (Connolly also played some center when Dan Koppen was out.)

Connolly, who has also seen some time as a goal-line fullback since he joined New England, garnered praise from Patriots coach Bill Belichick after stepping in for Koppen during a November win over the Dolphins, and was rewarded with a contract extension last year that will keep him in Foxboro through the 2011 season.

The promotion of Connolly to full-time starter would also mean that backup interior linemen Ryan Wendell (two career games), Rich Ohrberger (three career games) and rookie Ted Larsen, as well as the recently acquired Eric Ghiaciuc would move up the depth chart as well. Ghiaciuc, who was recently signed as a free agent, might be one who benefits the most from the move — a former Bengal who has lined up at center and guard, Ghiaciuc played in 48 career games with 42 starts from 2005 to 2008, and easily has the most NFL experience in the group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News