PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offense needs to stop playing fantasy football every week

Status
Not open for further replies.
He isn't the joke here. Look at the talent that we have on the offensive side of the ball. We have a running back that has averaged 3.9 yards a carry and a 3r down back who is designed to take screen passes and come in on 3rd down. Our 3rd reciever to start the year was Joey Galloway, who was projected to take the place of Gaffney. Didn't work out. Yet with all of this, we are the 2nd in the league in overall offense buddy. Please, we have debated this countless times and you still think it is bad. Sure it is flawed on the O-line some and in at receiver pass Moss and Welker, but this isn't the Browns either. BB calls in the plays and really controls the offense, not O'Brien for the most part as well. You are sadly mistaken if you think otherwise.

I'm sorry but you are the joke right now.

Hold up fellas. Maverick is onto something. For all of the gross yards that this team has earned, when it comes to the red zone, the most critical area of the field, we are near the bottom of the league. For awards that our offense gets, when it's clutch time, we fall short. One of the reasons for this is because defenses know that if they cover two players, they most likely can stop us.

Now I know that we all love Moss and Welker. I don't think that's in dispute. But about 2/3's of our pass plays go to them. It works. We all know that. But when we absolutely need critical plays, such as in the red zone or short yardage situations (such as 4th and 2), we usually fall short. Yes, we didn't throw to Welker or Moss on 4th and 2, we threw to Faulk. But did anyone notice that if it's not Moss or Welker, it's usually Faulk. I think a lot of teams have figured this out to.

This wasn't always the case. Charlie Weis had a weaker offensive line, above average receivers, a strong running game, and he spread the ball around. It is true that Troy Brown did get a large number of passes thrown his way, but a lot of other players caught passes as well. Who remembers the last time that we had nine different players catch the ball? We didn't have the talent then, but we made it work. Our deficiencies made us creative. It made us look to other places for solutions. I don't think that we do that too often anymore.

Hold up fellas. Maverick is onto something. For all of the gross yards that this team has earned, when it comes to the red zone, the most critical area of the field, we are near the bottom of the league. For awards that our offense gets, when it's clutch time, we fall short. One of the reasons for this is because defenses know that if they cover two players, they most likely can stop us.

Now I know that we all love Moss and Welker. I don't think that's in dispute. But about 2/3's of our pass plays go to them. It works. We all know that. But when we absolutely need critical plays, such as in the red zone or short yardage situations (such as 4th and 2), we usually fall short. Yes, we didn't throw to Welker or Moss on 4th and 2, we threw to Faulk. But did anyone notice that if it's not Moss or Welker, it's usually Faulk. I think a lot of teams have figured this out to.

This wasn't always the case. Charlie Weis had a weaker offensive line, above average receivers, a strong running game, and he spread the ball around. It is true that Troy Brown did get a large number of passes thrown his way, but a lot of other players caught passes as well. Who remembers the last time that we had nine different players catch the ball? We didn't have the talent then, but we made it work. Our deficiencies made us creative. It made us look to other places for solutions. I don't think that we do that too often anymore.

Couldn't have said it any better.

It reminds me a lot of the 2001 Rams. Belichick knew the entire Rams offense was slants and in cuts to Holt and Bruce, and Faulk out of the backfield. Martz couldn't manufacture a win once Belichick stopped those guys. Our offense right now is so good talent wise that it piles up the yardage, but can be stopped because teams know what we like to do and we can't overcome it when it's stopped.

SidelineSid said:
He isn't the joke here. Look at the talent that we have on the offensive side of the ball. We have a running back that has averaged 3.9 yards a carry and a 3r down back who is designed to take screen passes and come in on 3rd down. Our 3rd reciever to start the year was Joey Galloway, who was projected to take the place of Gaffney. Didn't work out. Yet with all of this, we are the 2nd in the league in overall offense buddy. Please, we have debated this countless times and you still think it is bad. Sure it is flawed on the O-line some and in at receiver pass Moss and Welker, but this isn't the Browns either. BB calls in the plays and really controls the offense, not O'Brien for the most part as well. You are sadly mistaken if you think otherwise.

I'm sorry but you are the joke right now.

You DO realize that's another EXECUTION of playcalling problem right?

The Intimidator said:

You talking about me or him?
Apologies, I'm on my iPhone trying out the forum app. It was in response to sid.

Yet another bonehead statement by Captain Obvious, to say it all comes down to execution.

In Shaq's prime, if a coach insisted on dumping the ball down low to Shaq every single time, and the opposing team triple teamed Shaq and he failed, it's a scheme issue, not an execution issue.

Couldn't have said it any better.

It reminds me a lot of the 2001 Rams. Belichick knew the entire Rams offense was slants and in cuts to Holt and Bruce, and Faulk out of the backfield. Martz couldn't manufacture a win once Belichick stopped those guys. Our offense right now is so good talent wise that it piles up the yardage, but can be stopped because teams know what we like to do and we can't overcome it when it's stopped.

And if you remember in the Rams game the moment the Rams started throwing the ball to other players, they moved the ball right down the field, just like in the Super Bowl lost to the Giants, the moment the Pats stopped trying to hit bombs and started throwing the short passes (negating the pass rush), they went right down the field and scored.

maverick4 said:

Yet another bonehead statement by Captain Obvious, to say it all comes down to execution.

In Shaq's prime, if a coach insisted on dumping the ball down low to Shaq every single time, and the opposing team triple teamed Shaq and he failed, it's a scheme issue, not an execution issue.
According to you maverick, we're so laden with talent that no matter what is called we should be able to execute it.

Your comment is ridiculous because of audibles. Run into a stacked box when Moss has single coverage would you?

This is getting ridiculous. So far this year, we have 9 players who have (or are on pace) for 100+ yards receiving. 6 are on pace for over 300 yards (Morris likely would if he hadn't gotten injured).

2007: 6 players with over 30 receptions and 300 yards receiving
2006: 4 players with over 30 receptions, 5 players with over 300 yards receiving
2005: 3 players with over 30 receptions, 5 players with over 300 yards receiving
2004: 4 players with over 30 receptions and 300 yards receiving
2003: 5 players with over 30 receptions and 300 yards receving
2002: 5 players with over 30 receptions, 4 with 300 yards receiving
2001: 2 players with over 30 receptions, 2 with 300 yards receiving

Brady is spreading the ball around just like he did in years past. The difference is that he is throwing the ball MORE and is getting more production out of his top receivers (ie, YAC and Y/R).

Our redzone problems are due to 1. Brady being rusty through the first 5-6 weeks, 2. Bad play calling, and 3. Not running the ball enough. If your looking to blame someone for Brady trying to constantly force the ball to Moss in the redzone, you should be blaming Brady, no one else.

Mods ought to give you a timeout
... your insults pile up when you have no point ... and you have none in this thread.

Last edited:

We're talking Basketball now?

There is a name for your problem, its called keyboard diarrhoea.

Re: Pats Will Win Next Ring When It Has No Elite Offensive Fantasy Players

I think we can agree on this last part.

The most frustrating part is that I don't think Belichick is going to fire anybody. I think his hands are tied because he isn't allowed to pay coordinators more than a set amount, so he has to work with sub-par ones and coach up his own coaches.
Iam not sure i agree.More than once BB has said that he prefers to groom within because with high paid coords its only a matter of time before they find a job elsewhere , e.g mike martz or dom capers last yr. You should check out the espn's seth wickersham interview a few months ago. I trust Bb with whatever he does but i dont think his hands are tied by kraft or anyone. It was him who as JMcd to go to florida to talk to urban meyer about the spread offense and incorporate in our system and changed it in one season by getting moss and welker.There were many articles about it. Its his vision on offense and defense and thats what we have to live with good or bad ..more good than bad. He is the ultimate boss and what we see on the field every season and every game is what he wants to do ultimately. The first jet game for e.g , i dont think BOB thought up the 'brilliant' idea of going no huddle ,exclusive 3 WR sets.

Iam not sure i agree.More than once BB has said that he prefers to groom within because with high paid coords its only a matter of time before they find a job elsewhere , e.g mike martz or dom capers last yr.

Considering that four of BB's coordinators have been hired away as head coaches in the last 5 years, I'm not sure how what we do is any better in that respect.

Last edited:

Was the offense ever a problem in '07?

The worst thing that ever happened to this franchise and fanbase was '07.
Can we move on please????? :rolleyes:

PS - the O was not anywhere near as sharp going down the stretch in '07 as they were in the 1st half of that year. Teams started to figure them and their predictable patterns out. They were downright pathetic in the SB. Very unimaginative. Very predictable. Huh, sounds familiar.

Look at the play by play of the last game. Sean Payton intentionally keeps Drew Brees under center as much as he can. Why? Because he knows the inherent benefit that the threat of run does to the opposing D-line, the corners, LB's and safeties. Even a 4-man D-line can wreak havoc against a 5-man O-line if they essentially blitz all day against our shotgun-happy offense. When you don't have to mind any running gaps it's MUCH easier to sprint, juke, and pull moves against offensive linemen.

Look at the play by play of the last game. Sean Payton intentionally keeps Drew Brees under center as much as he can. Why? Because he knows the inherent benefit that the threat of run does to the opposing D-line, the corners, LB's and safeties. Even a 4-man D-line can wreak havoc against a 5-man O-line if they essentially blitz all day against our shotgun-happy offense. When you don't have to mind any running gaps it's MUCH easier to sprint, juke, and pull moves against offensive linemen.
You realize you can call running plays from the shotgun maverick? Thanks for the insight into Sean Payton's offensive use of Drew Brees too.

You realize you can call running plays from the shotgun maverick?.

But we don't. We run less than 1/6 of the time from shot gun, with the Faulk draw play that teams now don't even care to stop, they're willing to give up those 4 yards who cares. If a free throw shooter shot 86% you would basically say the ball was going in almost every time, well that is how much of a sure thing opposing teams KNOW that we are passing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes