PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No wonder Seymour fired his 1st agent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miguel said:
If RS wants to be a Steeler next year and the Patriots place an exclusive franchise tag on him, either RS plays for the Pats under the tag, plays for the Steelers or he holds out. The Pats are not going to be able to trade him to another team. Why?? No team is going to trade for a player that they do not have a deal worked out.
I'd make him a non-exclusive Franchise Player. Go out and make your deal. If we like it, we can match it. If not get two #1 picks.

fgssand said:
You do not replace the BEST at any position easily or successfully. RS makes those around him so much better. He is the glue that holds the defense together. He needs to be kept right here. He has said he will be reasonable, but also he does not happen to reside in Foxborough (no hometown discount).

I think we need to pay him and feel very good about it - he is to the defense as Tom Brady is to the offense.
Easily, of course; succesfully, nonsense. One could have made the best argument for Ty Law, yet Samuel stepped in and was successful in 2004 - his game also came back in 2005, once the rest of the D got over it's hangover.

The thing is, at some point in time you ARE going to HAVE TO replace the best - elementary biology my dear Watson. BB has chosen to do that by building a second tier second to none and watching for the opportunity to catch another lightening strike. San Fran had to repace Joe Montana, they picked up a bench warmer and kept him on tap for a few years, he did okay when it was his turn. BB can't do it the same way, thanks to the cap, but he has players with the potential to be the next Steve Young riding the pine behind his starters.

It may make sense to BB to sign Sey to a $10m/year deal and have him and Tommy taking up 20% of the cap this year - hopefully structured so their percentage declines as the cap grows. He's the expert, but that same expert had players lined up to play LDE when Sey went down, and they did okay.

You don't replace Sey with Sey, you substitute another player with their own strengths and weaknesses into the position and have them do what they are best at, and adjust your defense accordingly. If what is best for the TEAM is to trade Sey, or let him go to Free Agency, or re-sign him to a new contract, then that is what should be done. I support the New England Patriots and the Head Coach who built the team I love. The players I love will be fondly remembered for their contributions, and reviled when they go to the Raiders. :cool:

Help me remember....

Colvin's a $5.78M hit this year - more than Richard Seymour, more than Corey Dillon, more than Tedy Bruschi. He was a value commensurate $2.37M in 2005. But every year from now going forward, Colvin becomes an albatross. $6.73M in 2007, $7.63M in 2008, and then another contract to negotiate in 2009.

Help me remember here. When Colvin got injured, I thought we re-did his contract. How did that go again?

So, what exactly is your point?

Is it that RS is getting screwed (relatively speaking of course- keeping all those BOL clients in mind as defining the term "screwed")? Yup, sure looks like it. On the other hand, what if he had blown his knee out in year 1 or 2? That contract would be looking pretty sweet now wouldn't it?

To clarify...

First, something nobody's called me on. I threw out a number for Seymour's hypothetical contract I meant as a cap hit, but typed as a salary. It might be too low but I was thinking of big frontloaded costs... I'm rethinking that idea now based on the issue of incentive - not that it matters what I or anyone else believes, other than BB/SP.

Second, to Shaka and others who are surprised that I'm looking at Colvin with a jaundiced eye - His cap number's been in the range of 2M up til this year. That is the effect of all the restructuring. Much of his money came in the form of his prorated original bonus, then it's been restructured (I believe on more than one occasion.) It's kept his cost low to recuperate on the Pats' dime, so we could see what it was we got in the first place. You could also say the Pats were trapped by the guaranteed money.

So now it's slipped into the "backloaded" category, with about 5M left in prorated bonuses that would turn into dead money if he is cut. The trouble is, he zoomed from the 2-3 million dollar neighborhood straight to just shy of 6M. I'd say he needs to play this year as his "contract year." His cap hit, and his salary, does nothing but grow the next two years. His total hit in 2008 is about 8 million. By the way, I credit Miguel with all the numerical info - and he deserves none of the blame for what I do with it. That's my own idle speculation.

Anyway, his $6M makes him the number 3 guy behind Brady and Sey this year. What's Brady done? Gone 9-1 in the postseason, started every game since 2001, and proved himself the best QB in the game. What's Sey done? Played in 3 super bowls, and proved himself the best Defensive Lineman in the league. Do you think Colvin's more in their company, or more in the company of Bruschi or Vrabel? He's good. He's shown heart to come back. But he's not in that elite tier of the Pats' cost structure.

To be fair, letting the deal run its course puts him close to that level, but not at that level. What happened to the all-time post-season sack leader? Yah. Well, Colvin's going to have exactly that kind of cap hit next year... I say let him put up some eyebrow raising numbers, and get a trade for him, because we won't be able to afford him down the road.

This assumes, of course, that the Pats believe, as do I at this point, that Sey is worth doing the deal.

PFnV

Miguel said:
1.) Seymour is probably the only Pro-Bowler from the 2001 draft that is still playing under his rookie contract.
2.) Seymour's rookie deal included $10.2 million in escalators. Seymour earned only $3.25 million of those escalators. When a 4-time Pro Bowler, 3-time All-Pro player, and a mainstay of a team that won 3 Super Bowls in a 5-year span earns less than a third of his escalators, there is something wrong with that contract.

Then how can he have a cap hit of 7mill dollars? Both last year and this year.
Some of the escalators are probaly on team things such as the SB. some are for probally playing 16 games. Are you counting the two -three mill that they gave him last year to keep him happy.

patpatriot said:
Is it that RS is getting screwed (relatively speaking of course- keeping all those BOL clients in mind as defining the term "screwed")?

My point is that Seymour signed a deal that had either unrealistic standards or did not take into consideration BB's defensive schemes. Playoffs. The Pats have made the playoffs in 4 of the 5 years. For a team that was 5-11 in 2000, that had to better than expected. Seymour played in 9 postseason games. That had to better than expected. Seymour made the Pro Bowl 4 time. That had to better than expected. Seymour played in 71 regular season games. If his deal required to play in more, then his deal did not take into account that Seymour may miss a season because of an injury.

Yup, sure looks like it. On the other hand, what if he ha
d blown his knee out in year 1 or 2? That contract would be looking pretty sweet now wouldn't it?

Any deal, even better deals, would look sweet if Seymour had blown his contract in year 1 or 2. There are about 1600 players who take part in a regular season game each and every year. How many of them suffer career-ending injuries??

Bumped for Arrellbee

I will just add
http://tinyurl.com/rqujm

Andre Carter, the player picked right behind Seymour, had an deal that not only allowed him to reach escalators that ended up him making just a little bit more money than Seymour but also voided out the 6th year of his contract so he became a free agent this year.

I'm no capologist, but I do know what the Pats value. Brady and defensive linemen.

They will draft and pay physically imposing D linemen and if Seymour isn't signed long term, it won't be for lack of trying.

They will offer a monster contract.

RayClay said:
I'm no capologist, but I do know what the Pats value. Brady and defensive linemen.

They will draft and pay physically imposing D linemen and if Seymour isn't signed long term, it won't be for lack of trying.

They will offer a monster contract.

Where have they proven that will pay a physically imposing D lineman? Also, if they dont knock his shoes off with their first offer, he's gone....anything less than a shoe knocking off offer will be a slap in Richards face.

Danny Boy® said:
Also, if they dont knock his shoes off with their first offer, he's gone....anything less than a shoe knocking off offer will be a slap in Richards face.
And you know this because???

I hope the Pats win the next 2 SB's, because if and when Sey is off the roster, thats the last time the Pats sniff the SB, unless they by some miracle draft a Seymour clone.

The hole he'll leave on the DL will not be filled by Green or Hill or anyone in the league at the moment.

He will be the highest paid defensive player. Likely, that won't be here. It will be a sad day when it happens.

festy1986 said:
If they let Seymor walk over money, and the reason being he isn't worth it. That excuse won't fly around NE no more, trust me without seymor the team becomes less then average.

Is that why we won the first two games of the 2004 playoffs, including holding the Colts to 3 points, without him? Because we were "less than average".

Just wondering...

Danny Boy® said:
Seymour wants to be paid. The Pats dont pay. He's gone.
How prophetic you come out with this the day Seymour signs an extension.... any chance we can talk you into predicting that the Pats don't make the Super Bowl? Pretty Please?? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST