PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Make your rookie projections!

holyredeemer

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Good Afternoon fellow Patsfans. I had a fun argument with myself, and thought it would be fun to see where everyone else stands.

During and after minicamp, who are your picks for the following:

1. Most overhyped rookie.
2. Most dogged on rookie.
3. Most overlooked rookie.
4. Most surprising rookie performer.

I tried really hard to pinpoint my own thoughts on this but found it a bit difficult due to so many if, ands or buts in my reasoning behind each one.

However, I think I’ve settled in on the following:

1. Dynamite Douglas. He may be small, but he’s a hard worker, shifty as hell, has great balance and with the right offensive mind can be tried at spots all over the field. If he catches on enough in rookie minicamp, he can be ready to surprise in minicamp due to the lighter nature of everything, making it much easier for him to look like an all-pro in the making. Reality will set in once the hitting and pressing starts and he’ll have to prove he can adapt. If his Shrine Bowl practices are any indication, it won’t be much of a problem.

2. Chad Ryland- Folks are going to expect immediate results. If the team tries coaching him up and changing how he does things, it might be a hot minute before he puts it all together. This is going to lead to reports on shanked kicks, balls falling short etc… “Bill not only traded up for a kicker, but this is the ****ing bum he picked?” will be heard throughout all of Pats Nation.

*Honorable mention. Keion White. At the end of the day, I think he’ll be a solid performer. Until that day, I think he needs to be coached up quite a bit. Learn the nuances of the positions he’ll be playing, become a junkie in the film room and let it all just come together. It might take sometime, which sucks. He’ll be almost 30 by the time his second contract rolls along. Hope I’m wrong, as he has an unbelievable athletic profile.

3. Marte Mapu- Between recovering from injury and probably being tried out in a bunch of different roles, the 3rd rd pick from Sac St. might also be competing with FA Chris Board for snaps. Maybe not. Maybe Pats just want to use him as a ST’er, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t give him some time to see what they’ve got. This leads to Mapu taking time to show. More time for a 3rd rd. pick than most would like.

4. Isaiah Bolden - I don’t know why he’s my pick. Maybe I’m being influenced by guys like Jonathan Jones, Jackson and Butler. Maybe it’s his solid size and 4.3 speed. Maybe it’s because he spent time in Primetime’s program and is more prepared than most rookie 7th rd. selections? Reality is, it’s probably a bit of all the above. Also wouldn’t be surprised one bit if I’m completely wrong and he’s gone before TC.

I know we all have our thoughts on the draft results. Some with ****tier outlooks than others. If you choose to participate, I look forward to the banter and debates that ensue but please….let’s avoid turning this thread into a ***** fest. Thanks!

1. Most overhyped rookie: Boutte. We all want him to flash and show what he did pre-ankle injury, he's still young though and will need a lot of development. Douglas makes the roster over him and Boutte gets the Foxboro Flu.
2. Most dogged on rookie: Sow. They are going to try him out at tackle, if he doesn't immediately excel at a position he hasn't played in years I think media and fans might jump on him since most preferred we drafted a tackle instead of him.
3. Most overlooked rookie: Douglas. Everyone is going to pay attention to Boutte, but Douglas will run better routes faster than Boutte.
4. Most surprising rookie performer. Mafi. He could push Strange at LG and will beat out Hines for a roster spot.

1. Most overhyped rookie: Boutte. We all want him to flash and show what he did pre-ankle injury, he's still young though and will need a lot of development. Douglas makes the roster over him and Boutte gets the Foxboro Flu.
2. Most dogged on rookie: Sow. They are going to try him out at tackle, if he doesn't immediately excel at a position he hasn't played in years I think media and fans might jump on him since most preferred we drafted a tackle instead of him.
3. Most overlooked rookie: Douglas. Everyone is going to pay attention to Boutte, but Douglas will run better routes faster than Boutte.
4. Most surprising rookie performer. Mafi. He could push Strange at LG and will beat out Hines for a roster spot.
I think you probably nailed it with #1 here. That series of events unfolding wouldn’t surprise me one bit. If we can get who Boutte was before his injury, watch out! Thanks for playing along. Nice read!

Hoping for a amazing rookie class

However

My tight end binkie.
Come on brother. Let’s not derail things this quickly. If you want to talk Jets rookies, that cesspool of a board shouldn’t be hard to find. Let’s talk about rookies.

From your lips to the football gods ears. If we could get both Andrews and Sow to contribute meaningful snaps, that would be huge in stabilizing things for Mac, and also help ease the blow if Onwenu walks.
with a new o line coach and OC i have high hope for our offense

I’m excited about Boutte I’m anywhere between Justin Jefferson and Kenbrell Thompkins.
Excited about Davis can make people miss in a phone booth.

Gonzalez was my top pick for CB I am shocked the Jets didn’t draft him would make QBs lives hell. Hoping he can turn into a Stephen Gilmore type cover corner for us.

Sidy Sow makes sense

The Punter and Kicker are needed special teams is huge.

Keion White would love to see him become a Seymour like player for us.

Bolden excites me kid has a lot to prove and is dynamic with the ball in his hands.

Let’s go!

Here is how the rookie class will shake out....

Christian Gonzalez - He will show shut down corner ability from the start with the occasional hiccups expected from a rookie.

Keion White - Ending up as a Seymour type player would be getting greedy. Anything is possible, but I will settle for a comparison as a more athletic Deatrich Wise. That would be a win.

Marte Mapu - I expect nothing and a red shirt year. However, I think he has overlooked potential to be a massive defensive playmaker in 2024. A few more pounds and another year to get healthy.

Jake Andrews - As long as the elder Andrews stays healthy, I only expect spot playing time from this Andrews. But he is the future C on the team, no doubt.

The Kicker - Who knows. His ceiling is Gostkowski and his floor is that Rottweiler guy. Glad we picked him though.

Skid Row - I am hoping he succeeds at Tackle eventually. Don't have high hopes. Could always revert to Guard if that fails.

Atonio Mafi - Future Pro Bowl guard. Book it.

Boutte - Great lottery ticket pick. I don't expect him to make it. Hope I am wrong.

The Punter - Couldn't be worse than what we had last year. He looks like an accountant. I haven't decided if that is a good or bad sign.

Demario Douglas - THIS is the guy I want to see. Looks like a WR version of Dion Lewis. I would say he's my binkie, but I find that term kind of gay.

Ameer Speed - 6-3 and fast? Worth the shot. Practice squad or ST contributor this year.

Isaiah Bolden - Dreams of becoming his mentor Deion??? We can dream. Intriguing. PS this year, probably.

So it is written, so this shall be.

I’m excited about Boutte I’m anywhere between Justin Jefferson and Kenbrell Thompkins.
Excited about Davis can make people miss in a phone booth.
-That’s a helluva range. Thompkins…man. That one catch against the Saints had me holding on to him for longer than it should. Davis is going to be very interesting. If he can continue where he left off at the bowl practices, that would be a very encouraging sign. Just worried about his size. Which honestly could be very unfounded. Would just hate to see him going across the middle and take a filthy shot. He’s compact though, and with the right coaching can avoid taking them.
Gonzalez was my top pick for CB I am shocked the Jets didn’t draft him would make QBs lives hell. Hoping he can turn into a Stephen Gilmore type cover corner for us.
- Damn, that would be awesome. If he can gain a bit more functional strength and matchup against the AJ Browns of the world on jump balls and successfully press, skies the limit.
Sidy Sow makes sense
- His name alone says road grader!
The Punter and Kicker are needed special teams is huge.
-No one cares about them until they shank a kick. Very important part of the game.
Keion White would love to see him become a Seymour like player for us.
-We all would, just don’t think it’s in the cards for him. If he can consistently be a Wise+ for us over the next few yrs, that kick is a home run.
Bolden excites me kid has a lot to prove and is dynamic with the ball in his hands.
-Lotsa speed with those late rd cats. If one can amount to something on defense and unseat the Wades of the world, I’d take that in a heartbeat.
Let’s go!
-**** yeah!

1. Most overhyped rookie: Gonzalez
2. Most dogged on rookie: Mapu
3. Most overlooked rookie: Sow
4. Most surprising rookie performer: White

Last edited:
1. Most overhyped rookie: Boutte - everyone will go mental for him and he will end being cut.
2. Most dogged on rookie: Ryland - if he doesn't come out and absolutely nail it as a 4th round kicker people will get on him.
3. Most overlooked rookie: White - I don't think many people were excited by this pick but I could see him being a strong contributor this year given he has 3 down flexibility.
4. Most surprising rookie performer: Sow - He could be starting by mid-season at right tackle.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back