PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No run game

Status
Not open for further replies.
x-axis units are? Number of games?
I assume y-axis is win percentage, given the large caption :)

I believe that X-axis = number of victories, and not necessarily attempts @neuronet.

Although now I'm not as sure, because it seems like an awfully high number to have 20+ victories in these situations. Can't say it would be shocking, however.

x-axis units are? Number of games?
I assume y-axis is win percentage, given the large caption :)

Yes and yes.

I agree that scoring is obviously the most important aspect, and that is much more likely to come from flexibility, but let's not push the 50+ attempts winning percentage farther than it may go.

There's little doubt that the ability to run the ball is key in most situations, particularly when it may be part of a larger gameplan that equates to chewing up clock, sustaining drives, and keeping the opposing QB off of the field. More importantly, when the defense is giving you the run but you still can't pull it off (2010 nickle formation from the Jets), or weather may call for the need to abandon some portion of the passing calls due to practicality (games involving lots of rain/wind).

I'm not calling for "balance" simply because I don't like winning via the pass, but more so due to a concern that we'll need to successfully run the ball in the postseason. I don't think this is unreasonable, although your chart of overall team rankings in the SB certainly helps to alleviate some of the worry. While we have a much improved defense which ranks highly, I don't think we have anything close to the teams in the past that helped to mask the running game deficiency entirely like maybe 2003.

I think the 50+ attempts thing is significant for one reason only: the number of games that it has been successful.

Most teams end up throwing 50+ passes a game because they're trailing by a significant amount. That's not the case with the Patriots, so more often than not, it's a conscious choice to attack a weak point in the opposition.

Running the ball can be important, I agree. And I wish we were better at it, but we work around it with the short passing game. Clock killing is one area where running better would help. If we could run the ball and let the clock run consistently, that would help. But we can mask that a bit thanks to Brady's accuracy.

Brady is completing 81% of his passes behind the LOS this season. That's not as effective as running every single time in terms of clock killing, but pretty damn close. We average 5.74 YPA on those passes vs. 3.8 YPC on a rush, so the almost 2-yard differential more than makes up for the 20% of the attempts where the clock stops moving.

Not being able to run when it's the best option is a fear. That 2010 Jets loss still bothers me. And that was when we couldn't run, not because we didn't want to run. But if we lose, I don't think it will be a lack of run game that causes it. A lot of this will be on Tom's shoulders with the OL a close second, and our D potentially struggling with a big tall WR, or lately our ST concerns. Lack of run game might get us, but I think that's ranking pretty low on the list.

The running game has not been good but it doesn't need to be to win the SB. Ideally you'd like to be able to do it well of course.

However the running game really starts with the OL and not the RB. A great running back is helpful but you need a good OL or he won't have a chance. The Patriots OL is a work in progress and IDK if we want to do anything next year to change it. Stork/Andrews is as well as you will do at Center likely and you want to see how Mason/Jackson do in year 2 and I have hopes for both taking a jump up next year.

Keep in mind though it is the entire NFL and not just the Pats at are having issues. Running is harder than it use to be. Particularly when you know it is coming. Teams don't just pass on the 1 half the time because they like to pad stats. It is hard to get that tough yard with the DTs being so big and strong.

The Patriots OL is a work in progress and IDK if we want to do anything next year to change it.

The position of swing tackle could be improved upon, but other than that I don't see a major need anywhere.

I think you're always looking for better talent and value at all positions, so I can't say that I'd be shocked if they took another interior lineman. I certainly don't think we need one, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST