PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Corey Dillion ⁕Deserves HoF⁕ "Because I Earned It"

Another piece that hurt the Dillon allure was the fact he left the Bengals and Rudi Johnson stepped up right away and put up 3 straight years of over 1300 yards and 12 touchdowns in each of the following three seasons. 2004 was the only year of Dillon’s career that he hit those marks.
rudy johnson was running behind a carson palmer lead offense... and was dealing with a better hc in marvin lewis

corey dillon was playing under bad head coaches in bruce coslett & **** lebeau, and with multiple starting qbs...
'97 boomer esiason & jeff blake
'98 neil odonnell, paul justin & jeff blake
'99 jeff blake & akili smith
'00 akili smith & scott mitchell
'01 akili smith & jon kitna
'02 akili smith, jon kitna & gus ferrotte
'03 jon kitna

in the parlance of patriots history equivalency, think ron meyer, rod rust & **** mcphearson levels of incompetence...

RB is such a tricky position to rate, guys who’ve had all time seasons or an assign run of 2-3 years are just forgotten about

Jamal Lewis
Priest Holmes
Arian Foster
Willie Parker
Michael Turner
Chris Johnson
Larry Johnson

All guys who has shirt absolute monster runs who just seem to fall in line with the lack

RB is such a tricky position to rate, guys who’ve had all time seasons or an assign run of 2-3 years are just forgotten about

Jamal Lewis
Priest Holmes
Arian Foster
Willie Parker
Michael Turner
Chris Johnson
Larry Johnson

All guys who has shirt absolute monster runs who just seem to fall in line with the lack
The difference between those guys and Dillon, for me, is simply Dillon was a Patriot... Very homerish on my part, and I'm not apologizing for it, lol

Love Corey’s time with the Pats… he was a top tier RB for years… IMHO if he’d had one more 2004-esque year for the Pats, and they won it, he would go in.

rudy johnson was running behind a carson palmer lead offense... and was dealing with a better hc in marvin lewis

corey dillon was playing under bad head coaches in bruce coslett & **** lebeau, and with multiple starting qbs...
'97 boomer esiason & jeff blake
'98 neil odonnell, paul justin & jeff blake
'99 jeff blake & akili smith
'00 akili smith & scott mitchell
'01 akili smith & jon kitna
'02 akili smith, jon kitna & gus ferrotte
'03 jon kitna

in the parlance of patriots history equivalency, think ron meyer, rod rust & **** mcphearson levels of incompetence...
Oh I totally get it and context is everything, as you’ve well covered. Unfortunately context is largely lost by many who rely just on on stat lines. But it is what it is.

saw this article today...

What say you? Dillon deserve the HoF?

11,241 yards, 20th all time
13154 yfs, 46th
2618 attempts ranked 22nd
82 rushing TDs, 18th
89 total TDs, T39th
4.3 y/a, T86
74.9 ypg, 17th

1 Super Bowl Championship
4x Pro Bowl

surprisingly, no first/second team all pro nods... figured he'd have a couple... he was a punishing runner... 1,000 yards + in 7 out of his 10 seasons... five seasons with 1200 yards or more rushing... as the article says, he broke the single game rookie rushing record (Jim Brown) and later broke the then record single game rushing record (Sweetness)...

I think hes being lumped in with guys like Frank Gore, Fred Taylor, Steven Jackson etc in the category of very good... he was the heavy lifter during those Bengal years... they ran him into the ground... Honestly, I think if you put in Terrell Davis, Jerome Bettis, Edgerrin James, & Curtis Martin, Corey Dillon at the very least deserves more consideration than hes gotten...
Good player, a couple of dominant seasons, but absolutely not an NFL Hall of Famer....and who gives a schitt about the Cincinnati HOF?

Statistically, at least, Dillon had a borderline NFL Hall of Fame career so he's far from "absolutely not" in terms of consideration. Interesting that he had more yards and touchdowns than O.J. Simpson, albeit in a different era. He also owned the single-game rushing record for nine years and 244 pass receptions to go with averaging more than 1k rushing yards per season for 10 years.

I feel he belongs in the NFL Hall Of Fame. Not just talking as a Pat’s fan. He had a great career. Statistically, he has better stats than a decent amount of Hall Of Fame RBs. He AVERAGED 1,124 rushing yards a season in his 10 seasons. He averaged 8.2 TDs a season. He had over 1,000 yards rushing in 7 of his 10 years. Had 5 years of double digit TD runs. I think his likability (or perceived lack of), is the only reason he’s not in the Hall Of Fame. Stats wise, he belongs.

I feel he belongs in the NFL Hall Of Fame. Not just talking as a Pat’s fan. He had a great career. Statistically, he has better stats than a decent amount of Hall Of Fame RBs. He AVERAGED 1,124 rushing yards a season in his 10 seasons. He averaged 8.2 TDs a season. He had over 1,000 yards rushing in 7 of his 10 years. Had 5 years of double digit TD runs. I think his likability (or perceived lack of), is the only reason he’s not in the Hall Of Fame. Stats wise, he belongs.

He does but I don't think he will get in. He treated the press the same way he treated the other team on the field; he ran over them.

The HOF committee is supposed to ignore off-field behavior when considering a player's candidacy. Peter King made this point when he insisted that the HOF was going look at Darren Sharper, even though Sharper was either credibly accused of or on trial for being a serial rapist at the time. It's pretty clear, though, that the committee does consider a player's personality or off-field behavior since I don't think Dillon ever even made the semi-finalist group. Charles Haley's long wait to get into the HOF is another example of non-football behavior playing a role when the committee claims it doesn't.

Dillon was a really good back but I don't think he has a HOF resume. Never led the league in anything in his career. Never the best RB in the league during his career IMO. No first team all-pros.

FWIW

Dillon is ranked as the 40th RB on this list. He has a score of 51 which is way below the HOF threshold on this list of 107. There are a lot of players ranked ahead of him (not in bold) who are not in the HOF. He's ranked ahead of only one current HOFer. This says that his odds although not zero, are slim at best.

With that said I think the Patriots don't win it all in 2004 without him and if he was a Patriot his whole career he probably would have a HOF resume.

Last edited:

Jamal Lewis
Priest Holmes
Arian Foster
Willie Parker
Michael Turner
Chris Johnson
Larry Johnson

Corey Dilluon did it for so much longer than those guys

Jamal Lewis
Priest Holmes
Arian Foster
Willie Parker
Michael Turner
Chris Johnson
Larry Johnson

Chris Johnson and Jamal Lewis have the best case imo. With Priest next.

I'd say CJ, Holmes/Lewis. Holmes was an absolute force on KC. He was a flash but ran for 1600+/rec 600 61 tot TD his first 3 years on KC.

Jamaal Charles > Turner, Parker and Larry.

It's unreal how crazy Larry Johnson is.

Chris Johnson and Jamal Lewis have the best case imo. With Priest next.

I'd say CJ, Holmes/Lewis. Holmes was an absolute force on KC. He was a flash but ran for 1600+/rec 600 61 tot TD his first 3 years on KC.

Jamaal Charles > Turner, Parker and Larry.

It's unreal how crazy Larry Johnson is.
After looking at the stats for all these guys, I'd say they belong in the Hall Of The Very Good. Including Corey.
The process is subjective; Gale Sayers had two thousand yard seasons, Terrell Davis had four.

Wikipedia: "[Terrell] Davis is often regarded as one of the greatest running backs of all time."

It's hard for me to not consider that to be ridiculous. I can think of a dozen other RB's I'd rather hand the ball off to.

Sayers was special, even unique. It's very easy to project that were Davis not injured and played for a team other than the chop blocking Donkeys, he'd be JAG.

50% of bettis getting in was his personality... He has some good seasons but really spent the last three years of his career compiling stats

Don't forget the pro-Steelers bias with the HOF. That's gotta be 40% of the reason Bettis got in.

On a tangent, Brick27 mentioned Rudi Johnson and how good he was with the Bengals. I hadn't thought about Rudi Johnson since he retired. For me anyway, I'm always surprised by how many good to very good players I've completely forgotten about until someone mentions them, I re-watch an old game or they show up in highlights. A Bengals fan would probably remember Johnson, but I imagine they'd similarly be at a loss if someone mentioned BenJarvus Green-Ellis.

After looking at the stats for all these guys, I'd say they belong in the Hall Of The Very Good. Including Corey.
The process is subjective; Gale Sayers had two thousand yard seasons, Terrell Davis had four.

Wikipedia: "[Terrell] Davis is often regarded as one of the greatest running backs of all time."

It's hard for me to not consider that to be ridiculous. I can think of a dozen other RB's I'd rather hand the ball off to.

Sayers was special, even unique. It's very easy to project that were Davis not injured and played for a team other than the chop blocking Donkeys, he'd be JAG.
Yea Shanahan/Gibbs & co scheme is still killing it today. The repetition and familiarity gave the OL such an advantage. Some of the RB were great but he traded a star RB for Bailey with the quickness bc he knew he could replace him easy.

I agree though all those guys including Dillon are in the Hall Of Very Good.

Yea Shanahan/Gibbs & co scheme is still killing it today. The repetition and familiarity gave the OL such an advantage. Some of the RB were great but he traded a star RB for Bailey with the quickness bc he knew he could replace him easy.

I agree though all those guys including Dillon are in the Hall Of Very Good.
I agree. I feel like Dillon deserves the Ring of Honor in Cinci ... not putting him up there is a little disappointing, I'm sure. Although it is a fan-thing and it is sort of sour grapes because he was a pretty good player for them while he was there and he didn't leave there on great terms.

Then again, at the same time, we have guys here who should be in for the same reason (lack of current fan awareness of past players) ... and it is certainly frustrating.

I agree. I feel like Dillon deserves the Ring of Honor in Cinci ... not putting him up there is a little disappointing, I'm sure. Although it is a fan-thing and it is sort of sour grapes because he was a pretty good player for them while he was there and he didn't leave there on great terms.

Then again, at the same time, we have guys here who should be in for the same reason (lack of current fan awareness of past players) ... and it is certainly frustrating.
Harrison and Wilfork. Harrison is an easy top 5 ss, top 15 overall saf. Wilfork was the best at his position for years. SB Champ. Unique for the position in terms of durability and cardio.

DMC is the latest one though. If you think Earl Thomas is a HOF than you think DMC is as well. Not as explosive or violent. DMC was more versatile, a better tackler who QB's actively avoided. Slightly more INT, TFL and again the better tackler in the open field.

Pats fans should be on those 3 every year along with Slater.

Pats fans should be on those 3 every year along with Slater.

Sorry, I can't believe any gunner deserves to be in the NFL HOF. If Slater had any additional versatility even say 50% of Troy Brown, I might be able to be convinced.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back