PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Corey Dillion ⁕Deserves HoF⁕ "Because I Earned It"

If Kurt Warner is in the hall of fame, Corey Dillion should be there.
My guess is Kurt Warner is in because he's 1) better at networking, 2) played the glory position and 3) it's a nice Hollywood story. I think he had an amazing 3 year run at the beginning of his career, but IMO he doesn't deserve to be there, based on the overall body of work.

When we start saying “he was only 20th all time” there is something wrong with that. We have receivers that are in with 40th all time in yards. He played in a era with a lot of hof’s so the 1st and 2nd team nods were pretty hard to come by. Holmes, Tomlinson, James, Gore, Bus, Martin, just to name a handful.

Just because the position has been devalued doesn’t mean he didn’t earn a spot in his era. He had a great career and if they can let in Ray Lewis based on his character there is certainly room for Dillon.

When we start saying “he was only 20th all time” there is something wrong with that. We have receivers that are in with 40th all time in yards. He played in a era with a lot of hof’s so the 1st and 2nd team nods were pretty hard to come by. Holmes, Tomlinson, James, Gore, Bus, Martin, just to name a handful.

Just because the position has been devalued doesn’t mean he didn’t earn a spot in his era. He had a great career and if they can let in Ray Lewis based on his character there is certainly room for Dillon.
Screw Cincinnati, he was the only one selling tickets for that team while he was there. A one man show due inept management. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to win and there was no end in sight to their ineptitude at running that franchise.

What a rant.
absolutely he should be in that teams HoF / Ring of Honor

but that owner is a turd
Thats really the issue.

Corey quit on his team and embarrassed himself. He was driven to that because Mike Brown (who has since passed along day to day ops to actual football people) was running the team as a total de-motivating cheapskate.

I'm not sure if CD is a NFL HoFer but is certainly statistically-speaking is Bengals Ring of Honor worthy.

I'm not sure what issue he has with the Patriots? I know in 2006 he was cranky but he gained weight and was injured in 05 and 06 off and on.

Dillon was one of favorite backs in the 90’s-2000’s. Had he played on better teams, he probably gets in. He floated under the radar most of his career.

Looking back, It was amazing he had his best season as a 30 year old in 2004. That would not happen today.

I think its too easy to get in the NFL Hall of Fame. To many players are in that when I heard they got in I was surprised.
As far as Dillon goes.

Who was a better RB Terrell Davis or Corey Dillon?

TD was one of the players I was surprised that got in. He played behind an awfully good O-Line. I think he only played 7 seasons.

Wasn’t he one of those guys whose personal life is part of the reason he doesn’t even get considered for the HOF?

Kurt Warner belongs in the HOF.

2x NFL MVP.
Led NFL in multiple passing categories.
3 SB appearances with two teams, 1 SB championship, 1 SB MVP.
Excellent postseason QB: 304 Y/G and 102.8 passer rating.

Much stronger case for Warner than Dillon.

I think its too easy to get in the NFL Hall of Fame. To many players are in that when I heard they got in I was surprised.
As far as Dillon goes.
Yep, it's getting too easy.
Davis.
TD was one of the players I was surprised that got in. He played behind an awfully good O-Line. I think he only played 7 seasons.
He had an advantage with the scheme as those chop blocks got defenses paranoid, but he was still a really good RB. Not overrated at all. The ACL tear ruined his career.

As far as Dillon goes.

played 7 years ... his 1998 season was probably one of the best seasons by a running back of all time

only his first four years were great, and they were great by any measure you want to use... but the last three years he played 4, 5 and then 8 games respectively... injuries killed his career

by letting in guys like bettis, you make an argument for guys like Dillon... and if Jerome Bettis belongs in the HoF, so does Corey Dillon

Bettis is an interesting case. 8 1K seasons almost 100 TD but he averages < 4 per clip. Rickey Watters is someone who has similar $'s to people already in.

Bettis is an interesting case. 8 1K seasons almost 100 TD but he averages < 4 per clip. Rickey Watters is someone who has similar $'s to people already in.
50% of bettis getting in was his personality... He has some good seasons but really spent the last three years of his career compiling stats

Looking at the Bronco's from 99 to 2007 ... I would think scheme had a lot to do with their running success. More than what you would expect:

1999 - Olandis Gary 276/1159/4.2/7

2000 - Mike Anderson 297/1487/5.0/15

2001 - Mike Anderson 175/678/3.9/4
(Terrell had more yards, no TD's ... Injury year for all 3 rb's IIRC)

2002 - Clinton Portis 273/1508/5.5/15

2003 - Clinton Portis 290/1591/5.5/14

2004 - Reuben Droughns 275/1240/4.5/6

2005 - Mike Anderson 239/1014/4.2/12 AND Tatum Bell 173/921/5.3/8

2006 - Tatum Bell 235/1025/4.4/2 AND Mike Bell 157/677/4.3/8

2007 - Travis Henry 167/691/4.1/4

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but that's a lot of names that just got plugged in and did a good to very good job. I don't want to take away from Davis, but scheme made him much better than he was - though playing in a Superbowl, and playing well, while in the throes of a migraine is impressive on its own.

I agree with the majority.

Corey is a marginal NFL HOFer. He is good if not better than a number of guys who are already in. He showed what he could do when he was on a good team even while on the wrong side of 30 and injuries.

It is a travesty that he's not in the Bengals HOF. He literally carried that team to whatever marginal success they had in those days

He had a GREAT single year in 2004. One of the best if not THE best single season for a RB in Pats history HE was the guy who carried the Pats offense that season. HOWEVER it was only that one year that he shined. His last two years were a mixture of injuries and good but not great play., and by his last season he was sharing snaps with rookie RB Lawrence Moroney. You cannot get into the Pats HOF with just one great year. Sorry Corey. But I'd vote him into Canton

Last edited:
saw this article today...

What say you? Dillon deserve the HoF?

11,241 yards, 20th all time
13154 yfs, 46th
2618 attempts ranked 22nd
82 rushing TDs, 18th
89 total TDs, T39th
4.3 y/a, T86
74.9 ypg, 17th

1 Super Bowl Championship
4x Pro Bowl

surprisingly, no first/second team all pro nods... figured he'd have a couple... he was a punishing runner... 1,000 yards + in 7 out of his 10 seasons... five seasons with 1200 yards or more rushing... as the article says, he broke the single game rookie rushing record (Jim Brown) and later broke the then record single game rushing record (Sweetness)...

I think hes being lumped in with guys like Frank Gore, Fred Taylor, Steven Jackson etc in the category of very good... he was the heavy lifter during those Bengal years... they ran him into the ground... Honestly, I think if you put in Terrell Davis, Jerome Bettis, Edgerrin James, & Curtis Martin, Corey Dillon at the very least deserves more consideration than hes gotten...
He was the only thing defenses had to stop on offense when they played the Bengals and he still out up yards. If he played on a semi-competent team for his entire career his numbers would of been far better.

He is 100% right, in the most Corey way possible.

People are kind of ignoring that the reason he's not in the current Bengals Ring of Honor is because they literally made it a year ago. Anthony Munoz (one of the greatest lineman ever), Paul Brown (one of the greatest coaches ever, prob best pre Super Bowl coach), Ken Anderson (MVP QB), Ken Riley (HOF'er), Willie Anderson (4x All Pro), and Isaac Curtis (3x All Pro) are the only 6 people in it. There's been two classes and you could argue everyone that got in so far has a better profile than him). It's not a big deal.

I doubt he gets in the actual HOF though. That's tough.

Another piece that hurt the Dillon allure was the fact he left the Bengals and Rudi Johnson stepped up right away and put up 3 straight years of over 1300 yards and 12 touchdowns in each of the following three seasons. 2004 was the only year of Dillon’s career that he hit those marks.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back