PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New England Patriots are the best team in the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
When did Rex Ryan join the board? This team is doing what it needs to do but it's far from perfect. I'll be surprised if this team can make noise in the playoffs. It's getting better but it's vulnerable at this point IMHO.

No disrespect, FirstAndGoal, as I agree with you about tempering expectations and understanding that there's still work to be done. However, I think this is a bit of an overstatement. I wouldn't be surprised to see this team make noise in the playoffs. They seem to be doing exactly what we all believed they would. The defense is getting better week-to-week. The offense is finding a way to move the ball without the big play. It isn't always the prettiest thing to watch, but it is darn effective.

I think the biggest thing now on both sides of the ball is CONSISTENCY. They seem to pull it together at the most critical time in a game (the mark of a really mature team), but they have yet to play 60 minutes (other than the Cincy game, perhaps). The offense has too many 3-and-outs, and the defense, thought tightening, is still giving up some long 3rd downs. Consistency needs to develop, and this team will be in good shape going down the home-stretch. You're right, though, they are far from perfect and can't rest on their laurels. They need to keep playing hard and learning on the job.

No disrespect, FirstAndGoal, as I agree with you about tempering expectations and understanding that there's still work to be done. However, I think this is a bit of an overstatement. I wouldn't be surprised to see this team make noise in the playoffs. They seem to be doing exactly what we all believed they would. The defense is getting better week-to-week. The offense is finding a way to move the ball without the big play. It isn't always the prettiest thing to watch, but it is darn effective.

I think the biggest thing now on both sides of the ball is CONSISTENCY. They seem to pull it together at the most critical time in a game (the mark of a really mature team), but they have yet to play 60 minutes (other than the Cincy game, perhaps). The offense has too many 3-and-outs, and the defense, thought tightening, is still giving up some long 3rd downs. Consistency needs to develop, and this team will be in good shape going down the home-stretch. You're right, though, they are far from perfect and can't rest on their laurels. They need to keep playing hard and learning on the job.

I understand what you're saying but what concerns me about the playoffs with this team is that like their lack of general experience, they may lack the experience to turn it up a notch in the playoffs or be overwhelmed when other teams turn it up a notch. I agree that they're playing better at times but they'll need another gear for the playoffs and I'm not sure they've developed that yet. I've seen it in a series here and there but not for a game.

Smoke & mirrors, a flash in the pan, nickel & dime quick-change artists.

The real season starts in late Nov and Dec......

My money is on the 49ers or those Dallas boys to win it all!

A month ago the Miami, Baltimore, SD, Minn stretch was supposed to tell us how good we really are.

We beat those 4 teams in a row. What more do you need to see?

this quote is pretty much exactly how i feel in a nutshell.

there are four or five teams in the AFC that i think COULD beat NE in, say, the AFC Championship game, but i would feel alright with the Pats chances against any of them.

last year at this time, at 5-2 they were actually only one game from where we are now -- this being before they lost 3 out of 4 games in the month of November, but i didn't feel the way about last year's team that i do about this one. they had no playmakers on defense and seemed like they were relying too much on moss and running a very one dimensional offense. this year's team has better linebacking, defensive line, and (when Chung is healthy), safety play. defense is what you need in January, and the chemistry in that unit seems like it's getting better week by week. the goal line stands were huge this week. the offense needs work but when push comes to shove, with the exception of the Jets game they've put together drives when they need them, which does eerily resemble the style of offense they had in the early 2000s.

barring an absurdly unlikely second half collapse, they'll be playing in January, and i like their chances better than the last few years teams by far. they'll show up.

it's a little too early to be thinking too much about the playoffs as far as seeding and scenarios go, but it wouldn't shock me to see the Pats in the AFC Championship. the Steelers, Colts, and Jets games will be huge, if they can win 2 out of 3, they'll control their destiny to get a bye week. should be fun to watch.

Last edited:
I understand what you're saying but what concerns me about the playoffs with this team is that like their lack of general experience, they may lack the experience to turn it up a notch in the playoffs or be overwhelmed when other teams turn it up a notch. I agree that they're playing better at times but they'll need another gear for the playoffs and I'm not sure they've developed that yet. I've seen it in a series here and there but not for a game.

Absolutely. I agree with you on that. The good thing is there are still plenty of weeks between now and the playoffs to keep gaining valuable experience. Also, we both know that we have the best coach in the league at preparing his team for everything they may see in a game and/or situation within a game. That should give us some confidence.

Again, you're right. The team needs to show they can play at a high level when the stakes are highest. I'm super encouraged with the youngsters. They seem to be buying into the instructions they're given and what it takes to win.

WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!
THE PATS HAVE THAT NEXT LEVEL!!
They since the season started have won every game by 1 SCORE.

THOSE WERE THE CLOSEST THINGS YOU CAN GET IN THE SEASON THAT PREPS YOU FOR THE POSTSEASON!

This team has regain that magic they lost imo

They can beat any team and at the end of the season they would have played all the best teams in the league.

Don't be surprised if brady gets his 4th this season.

Last edited:
and you know, here's where i get really excited about this team.

it's not necessarily about their super bowl chances, it's the fact that this team is going to be remarkably easy to keep intact, and actually strengthen, after this year.

there's no significant contracts on the horizon, most of the team is actually locked down for a number of years because of how young they are. we have mayo and wright for two years after this, wilfork is locked down (what a huge signing that was, remember when we thought he was going to walk?), and virtually the entire defense is full of young players with at least three years left under contract.

the fact is, we didn't really know how things were going to work out at the beginning of this season, and pretty much all those question mark young players and UDFAs are making plays. put another three or four high round draft picks on this team next year, and it's going to be a contender for the next four or five years. no wonder moss is cracked up, think about what he walked away from... i wonder at the end of the day how much more is he going to make next year than what the pats would have given him, because that's obviously what all that was about. he wanted another payday, the pats wouldn't give it, and he pissed and moaned hoping he'd get his cash until they called his bluff and shipped him out of town.

Last edited:

The thing that's stunning to me is that, looking at this lack of experience, this VERY young team has beaten four top teams in a row in high-profile, highly competitive games in which they faced early adversity. I started seeing it v the ravens when they looked SO bad early on. But then they dug in and made the plays when it counted most.

This, to me, is a team that thrives on the higher gear and is anything BUT overwhelmed by challenges.

If I'm looking for a sign of their inexperience, its the overall inconsistency. It's definitely NOT performance under pressure.

On another subject: Did anyone see much of Sergio Brown today?

The steelers are the best team in football

Unless new Orleans has something to say about that tonight

You're only as good as your last game. And from what I'm watching, it looks like New Orleans has a real chance at winning this one.

First of the Steelers have something to say about that, second of all, I will wait until one team clearly passes the eye test more than any other to claim them as the best team in the NFL. I refuse to use trivial tie breakers to determine who the best team in the NFL is with that being said threads like these usually come around to bite people in the ass so I will stay even keel and say that the Patriots are one of the best 3 teams in the NFL right now.

Dude, its an opinion, its not like you are betting your mother on it.
So far the Patriots have been the best team. Saying that doesnt mean it comes back to bite me in the ass whatever that means if they turn out not to be.
We could all wait until after the SB to say who the best team is, but isnt this a discussion forum?

Oops sorry. Wrong thread

Last edited:
So far the Patriots have been the best team. Saying that doesnt mean it comes back to bite me in the ass whatever that means if they turn out not to be.
We could all wait until after the SB to say who the best team is, but isnt this a discussion forum?

Go ahead say what makes you happy, its just funny how humble we were after the Jets game to this. Its week 8 and all of a sudden we are the best team in the NFL. Doesn't mean much to me but go ahead and keep touting us as number 1, I would prefer we stay humble and hungry until January though because right now we sound like Jets fans.

Yes, we're the best. However, I hope that our offense improves a lot before we face the steelers, and our defense improves a lot before we face the colts.

6-1
1/2 game ahead of the Steelers
There is no one this team should fear. All other teams should be worried to play this team. Considering the changes and upheavals this team has had, it's amazing to think that this team sits atop of the league...Incredible!

This generation of football critics we've incubated over the last couple of seasons fear being wr..wr..wrong about their team being good and losing stature and bragging rights vs. opponents fans more than they do being wrong about anything/everything else. It's a NE thing, their like the mediots hereabouts who need to feel superior to their peers when it comes to critical evaluation of the knucklehead pros who run the local teams. I think it's something imbedded in the Fellowship of the Miserable Charter... Better to be wrong about them being bad than wrong about them being any good. The former shows superior intellect...while the latter just means your a pathetic homer...:rolleyes:

This generation of football critics we've incubated over the last couple of seasons fear being wr..wr..wrong about their team being good and losing stature and bragging rights vs. opponents fans more than they do being wrong about anything/everything else. It's a NE thing, their like the mediots hereabouts who need to feel superior to their peers when it comes to critical evaluation of the knucklehead pros who run the local teams. I think it's something imbedded in the Fellowship of the Miserable Charter... Better to be wrong about them being bad than wrong about them being any good. The former shows superior intellect...while the latter just means your a pathetic homer...:rolleyes:

I'm an admitted homer...and proud to be too...but I have to admit that 8-8 seemed like a reasonable expectation this season with this schedule. I AM surprised but I AM very happy with the way the team has developed so far.Best??? Hardly. They are tough at home which is a trademark of a good BB squad. The road I'm not so convinced about but we'll see soon enough.

Yes, we're the best. However, I hope that our offense improves a lot before we face the steelers, and our defense improves a lot before we face the colts.

Well a one dimensional offense that has been struggling just put up 20 points on them.

I'll reserve judgement on the Colts until tomorrow night. I want to see how they play without Clark and Collie.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes