PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Negativity 101 . . . by Michael Felger.

Sigh.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=187916

"First, the Pats overpaid (both in draft pick compensation and salary) for possession receiver Wes Welker. Then, yesterday, they took a chance on a questionable character in Donte’ Stallworth."
BF - They didn't overpay they just chose a safe way to use the #2 pick. Low ceiling, high floor. Maybe not my preference but a decent way to use a #2.

"It’s likely the Donte’ Stallworth Era, no matter how well he performs, will last all of one year."
BF - No it's not, the cap hits are reasonable and fairly equal for the length of the contract. It's success oriented and a solid long term deal if Stallworth reaches that success.

"That’s $11 million in payouts for Year 2, meaning he likely will be allowed to kick the can again in free agency next year"
BF - Because the Krafts don't have that kind of money I suppose :confused: :rolleyes:

"The Eagles, in particular, have been desperate for receivers for a decade, yet they didn’t exactly put up a huge fight to get him back. Instead, they signed Bethel Johnson."
BF - For the love of God. First he uses piss poor logic to suggest the Eagles preferred Bethel. And second, even if they did that doesn't mean they were right.

"Both the Eagles and Saints had to endure Stallworth’s steady stream of minor injuries, most of them muscle-related. Stallworth missed four games with a hamstring problem last year and has played all 16 games only twice in his career."
BF - So he's only played 16 games twice in his career - but those two were both in the last three years. And Branch has only played in all 16 games once in his career, btw (twice if you include last year when he missed a game or two after being acquired late).

"The Philadelphia Inquirer reported last week that Stallworth is in the league’s substance-abuse program, meaning he has violated terms of the agreement at least once and could be one more violation away from a suspension."
BF - Or he could not be one more violation away from a suspension. I believe a suspension is on the third offense - who's to say he has two, Felger.

Using the Eagles as your example when it comes to WR acquisitions & developements seems a little far fetched. They are talented in their coaching & FO (IMO), but the WR position has always seemed an afterthought. That being said, thanks for cutting Gaffney guys.:D

Felger can be an ass, especially when he is doom and gloom before a game, but I like his honesty more so than a lot of other writers. I prefer watching him on FSN as opposed to Mike Reiss on NESN (but Reiss is a better journalist). Someone mentioned, as a knock, that Felger praises the Pats after a win, even when he predicted otherwise, but I think that's his best trait. He will usually accept fault as the moron after the Pats win, and at least he gives them credit when that happens. This is what separates Felger from Borges (who I don't think he likes very much; did anyone hear Felger's take on the Borges plagiarism ordeal?); Borges is just as much an ass even when the Pats prove him wrong.

As for the contrarian articles the two like to write, I don't think that it is bad journalism, nor do I think that the ideas they propose are faulty. The Borges articles about Thomas were overblown on this site and the radio (those shmucks on 'EEI, especially), he was just providing a cautionary tale on the Pats huge FA acquisition, even though he was the best FA available. If you're going to kick the piss out of Borges, or Felger for that matter, do it because they are the duplicitous, two-timers who take two stances on the same topic so that they can say "I told you so" when all is said and done, not because they don't drink the kool-aid that we, as fans, have.

Felger can be an ass, especially when he is doom and gloom before a game, but I like his honesty more so than a lot of other writers. I prefer watching him on FSN as opposed to Mike Reiss on NESN (but Reiss is a better journalist).
I like Felger. He is BY FAR my favorite guest on FSN, no-one is even close to be honest. I just thought this article sucked. Felger is still my favorite writer in the Boston papers.

"It’s likely the Donte’ Stallworth Era, no matter how well he performs, will last all of one year."
BF - No it's not, the cap hits are reasonable and fairly equal for the length of the contract. It's success oriented and a solid long term deal if Stallworth reaches that success.

"That’s $11 million in payouts for Year 2, meaning he likely will be allowed to kick the can again in free agency next year"
BF - Because the Krafts don't have that kind of money I suppose :confused: :rolleyes:

Felger will quite possibly be proven correct on these 2 points. There is no way that Stallworth will - or should - be paid $11M in 2008. If he is, then I will be shocked, and highly pissed.

If he stays healthy, and clean, in 2007, then I'm sure that the FO would be very interested in negotiating a longer-term deal, but for somewhat less money.

There is no way that Stallworth will - or should - be paid $11M in 2008. If he is, then I will be shocked, and highly pissed.

If he stays healthy, and clean, in 2007, then I'm sure that the FO would be very interested in negotiating a longer-term deal, but for somewhat less money.
The Patriots option on that bonus is just that, a long term deal. The $11M would be money in his pocket but spread out on the salary cap.

Why is it so important for some people that every writer, every fan, every person still breathing must love everything the Pats do all the time? I am a big Pats fan but I don't need constant validation that my team is good. I don't agree with everything Felger says, but he makes some good points. I think Borges sucks, but it doesn't mean everything he writes is wrong. If you think the Stallworth signing doesn't come with some legitimate questions you're delusional.
It's sad, your first participation here is a scold at people who've come before you and an inept defense of two scandalmongers. Under the circumstances I'll forgo the welcome speech and encourage you to read less from the unbalanced and scurrilous writings of Felger and Borges, and more from the many other writers and reporters who choose to discuss the Patriots with more journalistic and personal integrity.

Sigh.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=187916

"First, the Pats overpaid (both in draft pick compensation and salary) for possession receiver Wes Welker. Then, yesterday, they took a chance on a questionable character in Donte’ Stallworth."
BF - They didn't overpay they just chose a safe way to use the #2 pick. Low ceiling, high floor. Maybe not my preference but a decent way to use a #2.

"The Eagles, in particular, have been desperate for receivers for a decade, yet they didn’t exactly put up a huge fight to get him back. Instead, they signed Bethel Johnson."
BF - For the love of God. First he uses piss poor logic to suggest the Eagles preferred Bethel. And second, even if they did that doesn't mean they were right.

"Both the Eagles and Saints had to endure Stallworth’s steady stream of minor injuries, most of them muscle-related. Stallworth missed four games with a hamstring problem last year and has played all 16 games only twice in his career."
BF - So he's only played 16 games twice in his career - but those two were both in the last three years. And Branch has only played in all 16 games once in his career, btw (twice if you include last year when he missed a game or two after being acquired late).

"The Philadelphia Inquirer reported last week that Stallworth is in the league’s substance-abuse program, meaning he has violated terms of the agreement at least once and could be one more violation away from a suspension."
BF - Or he could not be one more violation away from a suspension. I believe a suspension is on the third offense - who's to say he has two, Felger.

I really like Felger cuz he's not a Kraft/Patriots kiss azz, but you're post here is 1,000% accurate. Stallworth is as good as, comparable, or slightly better than Dion Branch (on the field). Dion got more money than Stallworth. I'm not sure how Donte's money doesn't compute with Felger. Personally. I'm somewhat surprised that he's costing $3.6 mill this year, and the Pats can later walk away if they don't like what they see. This is a very nice pick up, and situation for the Pats.

The Patriots option on that bonus is just that, a long term deal. The $11M would be money in his pocket but spread out on the salary cap.

Exactly, he basically signed a one year deal with a 5 year option. Should he have a good year and is a model citizen, the Pats can keep him around at a 5 year deal with an $11 million dollar signing bonus. As Neumi used to say, "what's wrong with that?" If they think he's not worth it, they just walk away. I love it.

Felger is alright but I dislike how he moaned about Branch leaving and we made it to the AFC Title game. Not to mention he was kissing the Pats ass after every nice win. Now when we DO spend money, there is something wrong with that? I dont think they were overpayed.

Since I disagree with him all the time, that seems an unreasonable conclusion.

Then again, maybe he just disagrees with himself. :eek: [Cue evil music]

See, I knew it was you! :woohoo:

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft