PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My opinion: Welker is now closer to mediocrity than stardom

I think there's a lot of sour grapes about Welker... totally understandable. And the Patriots are a better football team today if he was here than without him.

But then again, the Pats did win 3 Super Bowls without him and zero with him. They also had two embarrassing one and dones in the same timeframe, and obviously the beating last January. Facts are facts. Brady has also tended to lock on him more than he used to with a receiver when they were winning championships and teams now know how to defend a Welker centric offense.

So it's not like he is the magic formula to winning a title had he stayed here...

The guys a bum, he sucks, an over the hill shadow of his former self, he never really was that good. I'm glad he left so fast the door didn't hit him in the ass :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What do his DROPS suggest?

Pre 2011, we NEVER talked about his drops. His hands were money.

His drops for last year (2012) were high, no doubt about it, and I think that it was a factor in setting a lower value for his services, in NE or elsewhere.

I'm just saying that it's too early to say if 2013 Welker is so much worse than 2012 Welker.

I do think that it is clear, however, that 2012 or 2013 Welker is a step down from, say, 2009 Welker (pre-injury).

Someone is bitter he went to the broncos (cough OP cough)

Some of you guys really make me nauseous sometimes with the over pukeness of homerdom,the OP is full of **** IMO and comes up with all this stuff 2 games into the season because Wes is now on the enemy and an enemy that may very well be a top seed when the Regular Season is over.

If Welker was still a Pat,this 'decline BS' thread never exists.

Threads like this irritate me,it's all sour grapes and its very obvious just because he isn't wearing the Elvis anymore.

I am sure the OP would much rather see Edelman starting than Welker :rolleyes:.....give me a fu(king break! :rolleyes:

Yes it would the only difference is some people would be on opposite sides of the argument.

Yes it would the only difference is some people would be on opposite sides of the argument.

I freely admit that I would be. People consistently overvalued him when he was here, and now his value is being talked down because he's gone.

Tom Brady is a 52% passer this year...below the Sancheezian line...Tebowesque in fact. Is it a valid point to say TB is in decline. " Evidence suggests he's definitely in the decline stage of his career. He's not as quick or as fast as he used to be. His 'throws' have definitely let him down as of late. These things aren't disputable."
Why doesn't this thread get started. Is it because it would disrupt the "all Pats are good all exPats are bad" that the fanboy element clings to religiously.

Awesome. :rolleyes: . No one compared welker to bethel johnson or chad jackson but you certainly compared brady to sanchez and tebow. Yes, its the same with the HOF Qb throwing to jags vs a WR receiving from a HOF QB with 4 additional weapons.

If welker was on pats, we would all be happy of course. That still wont make us a SB team. If our rookies become good/great we will be better off. WW is/was one of my favorite players but WW offense just had the same modus operandi for last 4 yrs.Great in regular season, shutdown in the playoffs vs great defenses. Before anyone jumps , its not WW's fault but he is not the missing piece on this team but for some reason everyone seems to think all our woes are because of WW vs DA. In other words , if DA catches 120 balls this season we are the same offense as the past and will get shut down again the playoffs.

Let's change categories. I will take Reality for 100$ Alex.

People are overrating Julius Thomas

Awesome. :rolleyes: . No one compared welker to bethel johnson or chad jackson but you certainly compared brady to sanchez and tebow. Yes, its the same with the HOF Qb throwing to jags vs a WR receiving from a HOF QB with 4 additional weapons.

No...I compared Brady's '13 stats to Sanchez and Tebow. They are similar....sorry....not my fault they're similar. I think it is hilarious that the 36 year QB is untouchable but the 33 yr old Bronco WR deserves ridicule. Maybe just maybe you look up up Brady's historical completion % with and without WW. Tom Brady may have been a winner prior to '07, but he wasn't an all world stat machine until WW and his 100+ yearly catches arrived to boost TB's 4 yard dump off output. WW's 700 YAC last year sure padded TB's stats.....but that was all Brady...right.

1.) Welker's skills are in decline and the drops have become a real issue.

2.) That said, he would still be the best receiver on this team were he still here (well, unless Amendola could stay healthy, perhaps). I wish he were still around to ease the transitions for KT/Dobson, but he isn't. C'est la vie.

I don't see what's so unreasonable about those propositions.

What is your agenda with respect to Welker? I ask because the above is just illiterate nonsense. Edelman's 9 yard catch on third and 5 with 3 minutes left against the Jets was not "effective"? His two TD's against the Bills were not "effective"? Do you read what you write?
I have absolutely no agenda. I should have been more clear that I was talking about Welker as a Patriot not a 2 game sample in Denver.

Just watch the games. Wes is the 4th option on his team.
Thats just not correct.

He's still a nice player, I'd like to have him, but not at $5m/year. As compared with Edelman, Edelman gives you the same short area quickness but the higher likelihood of the big play.Wes probably runs a 4.8 40 right about now. He is great at catching 5 yard passes directly into his body against Nickel CBs and linebackers and maybe getting 3 or 4 yards after the catch. Not much else at this point.
Wow. You do realize that Welker caught more passes further than 5 yards downfield last season that Edelman has in his career, right?

Some of you guys really make me nauseous sometimes with the over pukeness of homerdom,the OP is full of **** IMO and comes up with all this stuff 2 games into the season because Wes is now on the enemy and an enemy that may very well be a top seed when the Regular Season is over.

Threads like this irritate me,it's all sour grapes and its very obvious just because he isn't wearing the Elvis anymore.

I am sure the OP would much rather see Edelman starting than Welker :rolleyes:.....give me a fu(king break! :rolleyes:

I have no doubt Welker is in decline. Thats a fact of life, and wear and tear.
This thread is just a few years ahead of the curve.

I wish the Pats had that bum Welker on this team right now.

No...I compared Brady's '13 stats to Sanchez and Tebow. They are similar....sorry....not my fault they're similar. I think it is hilarious that the 36 year QB is untouchable but the 33 yr old Bronco WR deserves ridicule. Maybe just maybe you look up up Brady's historical completion % with and without WW. Tom Brady may have been a winner prior to '07, but he wasn't an all world stat machine until WW and his 100+ yearly catches arrived to boost TB's 4 yard dump off output. WW's 700 YAC last year sure padded TB's stats.....but that was all Brady...right.

Its 2 games! You say '13 stats like its all season .And all those stats with wes welker we havent won a SB. Those 100 catches offense is something which was never going to help us in big games .Thats what Iam saying.And It will be the same with amendola. Iam not arguing whether welker is in the decline or not. Never said I agreed with the poster but I will take a so called 'declining' brady over a 'still' awesome welker this season.We can build an offense around this declining QB around just wes welker. My only opinion is that welker isnt the missing piece on this offense , everyone is so clamoring for.

+1

Other than DA shockingly getting hurt in the pre season and shockingly getting re injured in Game 1 it's definitely proved to be the much better move so far.

And shockingly coming back in, injured, and winning that game...

People are overrating Julius Thomas

Thomas is an upgrade over Tamme and has had more of an impact on the offense than Welker IMHO. That said, I don't think Gronk or Jimmy Graham are losing any sleep about him challenging either of them for best TE in the league.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back