PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My opinion: Welker is now closer to mediocrity than stardom

In terms of how teams will diversify their coverage assignments, Welker is the least likely of their pass catchers to receive any extra attention in terms of bracket coverage. From a gameplanning perspective, it's not that much different than Stokley last year.

That's simply not true. Welker demands a better cover corner than Stokley does, and also commands help. And if a team tries to play him in the same way that it would play Stokley, he will burn them far more than Stokley is capable of.

His impact will be minimized because he's not a big-play offensive threat, and no team will treat him as such. The way teams will defend the Broncos will make Welker seem like very much of an afterthought in terms of scheming. Stopping D. Thomas, J. Thomas, Decker are bigger priorities.
9 first downs and 3 touchdowns in two games. How on earth is that an afterthought? Neither team that's played the Broncos so far has made covering Julius Thomas or Eric Decker a higher priority than neutralizing Welker, and that's not going to change anytime soon.

If it's between stopping Welker or those other guys, which do you think an NFL defensive coordinator is more concerned with? Most likely, teams will go with the lesser of two evils.

An NFL defensive coordinator will be far more concerned with the guy who scores or moves the chains 6 times per game. As much as people here want to hand-wave away the importance of first downs, it's a really big deal and NFL DCs know that.

And to think that last year I was far more critical of Welker than 90% of this forum. Feels kinda weird to be in the position of defending him now, but I'm not surprised because this is what always happens with former players. Was the same way with Seymour and Asante.

are we playing the Broncos this week???

uh...no...we're playing Tampa Bay

try Google...search "Denver Bronco message boards"...pick one...sign up...log on...put up all the threads and post all the message you want on a DENVER BRONCO FOOTBALL PLAYER.

Welker is G-O-N-E from New England. He is NEVER coming back here. Get over it...

This may have already been mentioned but he is rarely Peyton's top read. He's mostly a second read or a checkdown. He wasn't much of a factor in the Giants' game and when I isolated on him he looked a bit off. Even hurt, Terrell Thomas did a pretty good job on him the way every safety/slot corner should play him - very physically. Then again it's still early.

I wish Emanuel Sanders was here.

To me, whether he wants to admit it or not, this is simply the case of the OP having a strong bias (opinion) and then manipulating selective stats to support said bias.

I get why people are pissed that Welker is gone. I wish he were still here too. But, he had a choice to stay if he wanted and he wanted more money and more money is what won out. Now he plays with/for Sayton Manning. So, he's gone. End of story.
Me? I support the New England Patriots and have done so since 1973. I thoroughly enjoyed Steve Grogan, John Hannah, Russ Francis and Daryl Stingley. A lot of my favorite players have come and gone since that time. But my love is for the New England Patriots first and foremost. For Pat the Patriot and the Flying Elvis. The guys who are lucky enough to wear the jersey get my respect and admiration. But they don't get my love and undying support. That is reserved exclusively for The New England Patriots.

here 's a stat..the ball hit both his hands in the Super Bowl...game over catch..he dropped it

1st half against the Ravens...ball hits him in both hands in stride...30 feet away I could see the play clearly...YOU make that friggin' catch...he dropped it...the Ravens pulled themselves together and smashed us in the 2nd half.

Eff him, his whiny little snotty comments and his friggin little spoiled rich kid gonna take his ball and go home...thanks for the memories, Wes

I dunno. I think I'd take those three mediocre TDs he has so far this year...;)

So let's see here... on the one hand we have Team B that adds receiver W to their team who produces 3 TDs over 2 games. On the other hand we have Team P that adds receivers A, D, T, B to their team who combine to produce 3 TDs over 2 games. Yet somehow it is W that is closer to mediocre and thus it was a smart decision to send him from Team P to Team B. Right....:bricks:

Not exactly a fair comparison. Everyone knows manning loves to pad his TD stats by throwing all the time on X down and goal. The Broncos have yet in two games to run a running play when they are in first, second, third, or fourth and goal. In fact, I don't think they have run a single running play in the opponent's red zone.

Where most teams including the Patriots like to run the ball at least occasionally, Manning hates to allow his RBs to score TDs unless he is throwing to them. That has always been the case. Even Marshall Faulk and Edgerrine James got most of their rushing TDs outside of the opponent's ten yard lines.

Welker is going to benefit from this as a short yardage option for Manning. He is likely going to have a career high in TDs this year because of it. But that is irrelevant to how he would do with the Pats because he was never a consistent target for Brady when he was in a "and goal" situation.

EDIT: They did run one running play in "and goal" situation on Sunday. So I was slightly off there. And they did run three other running plays in the red zone total in the first two weeks. So they ran 4 running plays in the red zone all together in two weeks after scoring a total of 90 points over those two games.

He's got a few years left in him if Denver keeps him around

... at least 3 years including this one IMO.

Last edited:
He's got a few years left in him if Denver keeps him around

... at least 3 years including this one IMO.

IDK, players like Welker hit the age wall hard and fast. He is showing signs of age. I don't know if he is in the league after next year. When he really falls off the age cliff, it is going to be night and day from one year to the next.

here 's a stat..the ball hit both his hands in the Super Bowl...game over catch..he dropped it

1st half against the Ravens...ball hits him in both hands in stride...30 feet away I could see the play clearly...YOU make that friggin' catch...he dropped it...the Ravens pulled themselves together and smashed us in the 2nd half.

Eff him, his whiny little snotty comments and his friggin little spoiled rich kid gonna take his ball and go home...thanks for the memories, Wes

LOL. Once again Joker provides my entertainment for the evening. I do miss Wes though and wish he was here, but he ain't, so let's move on.

That's simply not true. Welker demands a better cover corner than Stokley does, and also commands help. And if a team tries to play him in the same way that it would play Stokley, he will burn them far more than Stokley is capable of.
Stokley's no doubt a geriatric scrub, last year included. Welker will be replacing his role as the fourth option and first WR off the field when the Broncos aren't in their 3-WR sets. That's not to say Welker won't outproduce Stokley, he will because he's the better player, but teams rarely devote that much defensive gameplanning and scheming for such a player in Wes' role, especially when they're bigger threats to worry about.

Priority #1 is Demaryius because he's the biggest threat. One of the least prioritized in scheming would be Wes because he's the lesser threat.

9 first downs and 3 touchdowns in two games. How on earth is that an afterthought? Neither team that's played the Broncos so far has made covering Julius Thomas or Eric Decker a higher priority than neutralizing Welker, and that's not going to change anytime soon.
His stats look great in isolation, but without proper context regarding how teams are defending the other targets, what their scheming to take away (deep stuff, big plays, etc.) those numbers don't always tell the entire story.

Teams are giving the Broncos all that underneath stuff because they fear getting beat downfield, as they should. If they make a concerted effort to shut down the underneath stuff, then they'll open themselves up to more big plays. Basically, pick your poison.

In the mind of a defense, big plays are worse than small gains. Wes is a not big play threat so he's not the primary focus of their scheming/assignments. Teams don't go into the game saying, "we gotta try all of our might to stop that Welker guy and leave ourselves vulnerable to big plays because Welker catching 5 yard dumps off are worse than allowing Demaryius to get big plays on us."

On paper the Broncos have a formidable offense. Nonetheless, I wanna see them in inclement weather In Dec/Jan once Manning's arm strength really falls off the cliff and teams have no real fear of their big plays downfield.

And to think that last year I was far more critical of Welker than 90% of this forum. Feels kinda weird to be in the position of defending him now, but I'm not surprised because this is what always happens with former players. Was the same way with Seymour and Asante.
I thought Wes subtly started to show signs of decline in 2010 from that point on. Not a lot of people agreed with that at the time though. Funny how a couple of drop balls chances everyone's perspective. I often times think, what would the perception of him be had he caught that pass against the Giants?

He's one the greatest Patriots of all time from a statistical perspective, but he wasn't really very clutch when the team absolutely needed him to be. That's why I'll never put him up there with the likes of Troy Brown.

Teams are giving the Broncos all that underneath stuff because they fear getting beat downfield, as they should. If they make a concerted effort to shut down the underneath stuff, then they'll open themselves up to more big plays. Basically, pick your poison.

In the mind of a defense, big plays are worse than small gains. Wes is a not big play threat so he's not the primary focus of their scheming/assignments. Teams don't go into the game saying, "we gotta try all of our might to stop that Welker guy and leave ourselves vulnerable to big plays because Welker catching 5 yard dumps off are worse than allowing Demaryius to get big plays on us."

Of course a defense would prefer giving up 5 yards vs. 40, but that's not the real dilemma on their hands. The real dilemma is what's worse: a 70% chance of giving up 8 yards on 3rd and 8, or a 10% chance of giving up 40 yards on 3rd and 8. In that circumstance, the shorter pass is the better one for the offense.

And that's the whole point. Defenses aren't letting the Broncos have 8 yards on 3rd and 8. They can't, because consistently doing that is pretty much a guaranteed loss. Which is why the Broncos' offense is so good. They have too many weapons to defend all of them. They're like a less-talented-across-the-board version of the '07 Patriots.

If letting them have short completions is a winning defensive strategy, then how in the world have the Pats managed to have one of the most prolific offenses in the NFL without a real deep threat for the past 3+ years?

If only it was possible to think that both Amendola and Welker are good players.

Your sig picture makes me want to projectile vomit

Yeah as many others pointed it out, they didn't sign him for his speed or physicality. They signed for the same reason he was good here. His smarts.

Not sure at what point his body becomes so ineffective that his mind is no longer an advantage, but in that offense with Peyton at the helm, he should be ok for the time being. I mean it was either here, there, Green Bay or the Saints. Anywhere else, he'd probably be done. And out of all his other options, I'd take Peyton.

Re: Re: My opinion: Welker is now closer to mediocrity than stardom

I'll match that and raise you A. Boldin.

Fantasy is fun!

I'm all in with a Calvin Johnson Jr.

Check in the dark :)

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey