PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My opinion: Welker is now closer to mediocrity than stardom

Are you another one convinced that Welker is officially done, can't run, catch and has sailed into mediocrity? :rolleyes:
Curious as to why original my response to this dope and a number of following posts from others mysteriously disappeared into cyberspace...anyone have a clue?

Curious as to why original my response to this dope and a number of following posts from others mysteriously disappeared into cyberspace...anyone have a clue?

Mods probably deleted them, since that guy is banned now.

I don't know why it's gone, but I remember the response (What I am is someone who believes...) It was absolutely hilarious, and you deserve some major props. Too bad the mods missed a gem in there.

Mods probably deleted them, since that guy is banned now.
OK, JB. I'm hoping I didn't contribute to his banishment. It's a major loss...

I don't know why it's gone, but I remember the response (What I am is someone who believes...) It was absolutely hilarious, and you deserve some major props. Too bad the mods missed a gem in there.
Thanks, Ice. My response certainly wasn't well thought-out, just sort of reflexive.

What does a hitch route that hits Welker right in the stomach have to do with Welker and Peyton's familiarity? Or a ball that is catchable if he just extended his arms more than 3/4's of the way?

Seriously? Brady and Welker constantly worked on their timing and route recognition. A few year ago vs Houston, Welker read a route as a TD and Brady threw the ball short incomplete, but it would have picked up the first down. Welker was right in this instance because it would have been a TD.

That was just last game. None of those had anything to do with chemistry, familiarity, anticipation or any other word anyone cares to use to describe a QB/WR relationship. That was Wes dropping balls he should have caught, period.

Your comments suggest you didn't watch last Sunday's Broncos game.

I watched the game off and on since it was somewhat boring.

Its ridiculous to imply that Welker has suddenly declined and is dropping more balls than in NE. It comes off as trying to justify Almendolas injury because Welker wouldnt be good here anymore any way.

Look everybody, he not the same player. People are complaining about yac, but ignoring that he already has 50% of his TDs from his 2012 season. Looks like he doesnt drop TDs.

His catch rate is decent and will only increase as time goes on in Mannings system.

That would be Captain Welker.

Welker Voted Offensive Captain

“I think it’s one of the greatest honors you can have on a football team," he said. "I’m honored to have it and hopefully represent it well and just try to help lead these guys by example and go out there and play hard and help them win games.”

Have at it, then... I'll take my beating....
I'd rather draft Jace Amaro, TE - Texas Tech in the third round of the 2014 NFL Draft than rely on an injury prone Zach Dudfeld next season.

I have an opinion as well about the current New England Patriots offense.

Brady throw to Welker 174 times last year to get has 118 rec no one is perfect but 70% comp per has way is great and that's what he has in Denver this year the same as with Brady

Over under on how many grabs Wes has against us? I'm gonna set it at 16.

Over under on how many grabs Wes has against us? I'm gonna set it at 16.

I'll take the under only because BB will double dog team him just to keep the scab on the wound...:D

Captain Welker's Broncos are featured in another prime time game this week...Monday night. Hopefully the show will be more entertaining than the Welkerless Pats last Thursday. .........................pot stirred enough?

Nope.

Welker is jealous of Amendola because the Pats just bought him a sweeeet stationary bike for rehab.

There, all stirred.

:D

Nope.

Welker is jealous of Amendola because the Pats just bought him a sweeeet stationary bike for rehab.

There, all stirred.

:D

I'm hoping DA's working plenty of arm curls while on that bike. Next to Welker's pythons, DA's twiggish upper limbs can't survive the beatings in the slot if he ever gets back on the field. ............Pot runneth over

Seriously? Brady and Welker constantly worked on their timing and route recognition. A few year ago vs Houston, Welker read a route as a TD and Brady threw the ball short incomplete, but it would have picked up the first down. Welker was right in this instance because it would have been a TD.

What does that have to do with what I said? I specifically said his issues have nothing to do with timing. A WR in the NFL should catch a pass that hits him in the gut.

Triumph said:
I watched the game off and on since it was somewhat boring.

Its ridiculous to imply that Welker has suddenly declined and is dropping more balls than in NE. It comes off as trying to justify Almendolas injury because Welker wouldnt be good here anymore any way.

Look everybody, he not the same player. People are complaining about yac, but ignoring that he already has 50% of his TDs from his 2012 season. Looks like he doesnt drop TDs.

His catch rate is decent and will only increase as time goes on in Mannings system.

It is not ridiculous to imply he is declining. First I am not implying it, I am saying it. It is ridiculous to say anything else. He is a good WR and it was tough to see him walk. I think many here look at him like some parents look at their kids and lose all objectivity. Watch him play, your eyes won't lie to you.

Reiss:Wes Welker's return doesn't go his way

Wes Welker's return doesn't go his way - ESPN Boston

He didn’t say it, but his highly anticipated return to Gillette Stadium, where he was an instrumental part of six successful Patriots seasons, had to be a bit bittersweet. One just had to follow him out of the Broncos' locker room afterward and see the meaningful embraces he had with several former teammates to understand that.

When Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia gave him a hug and the two exchanged a warm greeting, Welker said, “Miss you too, bud.” Then it was safety Devin McCourty, linebacker Dane Fletcher ... and right down the line. Welker even popped into the Patriots' players lounge after the game in a reminder that the strong bonds formed from 2007-2012 don’t just disappear.

On the field, his emotional day began when Patriots owner Robert Kraft approached him during warmups and the two hugged. Kraft must have told Welker to keep an eye on the scoreboard because Welker looked up about 10 minutes before kickoff to see a highlight montage the club put together for him, followed by a thank-you note that read: “The Kraft Family, the New England Patriots thank Wes Welker for six memorable seasons.”

Welker was touched.

“It was very, very classy of them to do something like that. I appreciate it very much,” he said. “It was a little different, for sure. It was great seeing Mr. Kraft. I have a lot of respect for him as a man and as an owner of a team. He’s a good one.”

Now that we've had a larger sample size and seen Welker against us, does anyone concur with me? I'd like to emphasize again that this thread is not about Amendola versus Welker but about Welker himself.

It's not the mental error or even the drops (which we have already seen plenty of in his last season in NE.) It has much more to do with his lack of explosiveness and elusiveness. If he isn't on an uncovered route or "picked" there is little chance that he comes away with a catch in a one on one matchup. It is clear that Welker is decelerating at a rapid pace. I'm not trying to bash Welker- once again, I am pointing out why there was no free agent market for Welker. Between the ages of 32-24 about 90% of WRs (who make it that far) go from their peak level to a shell of themselves. If people are writing this off as scheme-related, they are not paying attention.

Now that we've had a larger sample size and seen Welker against us, does anyone concur with me? I'd like to emphasize again that this thread is not about Amendola versus Welker but about Welker himself.

It's not the mental error or even the drops (which we have already seen plenty of in his last season in NE.) It has much more to do with his lack of explosiveness and elusiveness. If he isn't on an uncovered route or "picked" there is little chance that he comes away with a catch in a one on one matchup. It is clear that Welker is decelerating at a rapid pace. I'm not trying to bash Welker- once again, I am pointing out why there was no free agent market for Welker. Between the ages of 32-24 about 90% of WRs (who make it that far) go from their peak level to a shell of themselves. If people are writing this off as scheme-related, they are not paying attention.

Without the benefit of having rewatched the game yet, there was one play that I recalled in particular; Welker had to put his hands up for a pass, and was unable to catch it. This was something he often had trouble doing (besides the infamous play late in the Super Bowl), and it happened again. For whatever reason he just has trouble, more than most other receivers, with passes at or above shoulder level.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back