PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MVP Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think some people--mostly those posting early in the thread--need to calm down a bit with bashing Manning. Yeah, he's a media darling but that's not his fault. He's been 1B to Brady's 1A his whole career, just because he played in a dome against crap defenses in his division nearly his entire career doesn't mean he's not a great QB, and the comeback from what was a very, very serious injury has been impressive.

That said, this season seems to be a test for the MVP voters. We heard during the early-2000's that Mannings performances were more impressive because he put up bigger numbers, and during certain years he was better than Brady because Brady could fall back on his defense. Well this season, by nearly all measures, Brady has the better numbers and the worse defense, has led that crappy defense to the same record as the Broncos including a head-to-head win where Brady was clearly the better QB.

I agree with others that this will ultimately come down the Houston and SF, like it or not. Denver will likely go at least 4-1, possibly 5-0, and play some pretty awful defenses down the stretch--Oakland, Cleveland and KC in particular. To match the Pats would have to beat at least one of Houston or SF and Brady is facing much, much stiffer defensive competition. To compare:

The average defense that Brady faces is 11th in points and 11th in QB rating against--four opponents in the top-half, none in the bottom-three; Manning is facing, on average, the 20th ranked defenses in points and QBR against--two opponents in the top half, two in the bottom-three. Basically, if Brady can run this gauntlet and perform well and finish tied (or better) with Denver then he HAS to win this award.

Brady is MVP by a mile, I don't care if he wins or loses against the 49ers. That's statically and by eye ball test, especially in comparison to both Manning brothers and Adrian Peterson (who breaks one big run and does nothing for the next 20 rushes)

The Texans are not that tough. Their overrated D have faced mediocre offenses at best, all year and when they did finally face an offense above average - GB (42 points) - DET (31), they got embarrassed in one and DET got cheated by the rule book in the other. I witnessed them play the Jets(who have proved they are straight scrubs this year) had the receivers held on to balls thrown to them in wide open spaces, the Texans would've lost that game. The Texans offense is pretty much average, shut down Foster and that's all she wrote for them. So I'm not seeing the big deal with them and why people are beginning to fall for all this overration that's been built up from the media. They are no more than the Falcons, IMO, and both teams are whack.

The only real test the Pats have right now is 49ers and laugh all you want, but I think MIA is gonna be a hard game too. They look good defensively and Tannehill can throw it deep (then again, so could Luck). I think the Pats defense have improved and the offense as always continues to get it done.

I don't know who is the MVP, but if they don't give it to brady, it won't bother me a bit. Not even a teeny bit. I doubt it would bother him a bit either.

Not sure why people get so worked up about it.

I don't know who is the MVP, but if they don't give it to brady, it won't bother me a bit. Not even a teeny bit. I doubt it would bother him a bit either.

Not sure why people get so worked up about it.

Ditto. Between Brady and Manning, they have six MVP awards. In seasons they won the MVP, Brady went to the Super Bowl once and lost and Manning went to the Super Bowl once and lost. Neither have won a Super Bowl in a year they won the league MVP.

The goal is to win the Super Bowl, not the league MVP.

I'd like Brady to win the MVP, Wes to get the most catches, Chandler Jones to win defensive rookie of the year, Mayo to lead the league in tackles, the Patriots offense to set the NFL record for most points in the season, and to have both the most team rushing and passing TDs, and with a record turnover differential.

Wanting all of those things to happen doesn't distract one single bit from the main goal of winning the Lombardi trophy.

Sure, any individual or team statistical awards are just gravy. I happen to like gravy, though! It's not the main course, but nobody should be at all too embarrassed to admit that it wouldn't be nice to also have.

Ditto. Between Brady and Manning, they have six MVP awards. In seasons they won the MVP, Brady went to the Super Bowl once and lost and Manning went to the Super Bowl once and lost. Neither have won a Super Bowl in a year they won the league MVP.

The goal is to win the Super Bowl, not the league MVP.

Althought I should add that the discussion here is very erudite and well researched.

I felt that 2010 was a year that Manning actually deserved the award unlike about 2-3 of his four actual wins.

That 2010 Colts team had a weak schedule, beat no one of significance, were never significant itself, and lost in the first round of the playoffs.

Under no circumstances did Manning deserve MVP for that season, which was one of his worst regular seasons in a long time. He played poorly, and if anything, padded it with some yardage stats to make it look better than he actually played. Game to game, watching him play, he was not very good.

This suggestion seems pure hindsight on your part based upon the fact that the team stunk the next year with Curtis Painter. Well, the team also has fared well with a half-decent QB in Luck the very next year. Anyone who watched Peyton that season would never offer him up as an MVP candidate, and I guarantee you weren't clamoring for him as MVP back then. Do you not remember what his play looked like, the INTs he was gifting the other team, and the fact that he was responsible for them losing games. It's a joke to say he was league MVP that year, Rob, no offense.

Last edited:
Brady is MVP by a mile, I don't care if he wins or loses against the 49ers. That's statically and by eye ball test, especially in comparison to both Manning brothers and Adrian Peterson (who breaks one big run and does nothing for the next 20 rushes)

So 6yds/carry on your other 20 rushes counts as nothing now :rolleyes:

Brady should win the MVP award by a landslide. Do I want him to win it? Hell no. I know I'm in the minority with this one. I don't want that MVP curse hanging over this team in the postseason. The Manning ballwashing can be very sickening @ times. What's even more shocking is how Aaron Rodgers is being completely overlooked this season. I know he won it last year. But that kid literally put that team on his back this season. Screw that award!

That 2010 Colts team had a weak schedule, beat no one of significance, were never significant itself, and lost in the first round of the playoffs.

Under no circumstances did Manning deserve MVP for that season, which was one of his worst regular seasons in a long time. He played poorly, and if anything, padded it with some yardage stats to make it look better than he actually played. Game to game, watching him play, he was not very good.

This suggestion seems pure hindsight on your part based upon the fact that the team stunk the next year with Curtis Painter. Well, the team also has fared well with a half-decent QB in Luck the very next year. Anyone who watched Peyton that season would never offer him up as an MVP candidate, and I guarantee you weren't clamoring for him as MVP back then. Do you not remember what his play looked like, the INTs he was gifting the other team, and the fact that he was responsible for them losing games. It's a joke to say he was league MVP that year, Rob, no offense.

Except for the fact that he didn't win MVP in 2010. Try to at least get your facts straight before bashing a player. 99% of the Pats fans on this forum actually know who won MVP that year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes