PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mortensen: "high picks" and 1-2 game suspension possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I think about this the more I come to realize that the team is going to be punished hard. The NFL just took some PR hits from players, Vick, Pacman, Tank etc. Now the best coach in the league does something the commissioner explicitly told him NOT to do. He has no choice but to come down hard or he will look weak. I don't like it but that's what's gonna happen. So brace yourselves for the 2nd and 3rd round picks suspension and fine. The sooner this is over the quicker we can all move on. The quicker the BS will end and we can get back to football.

Re: Mort says

If these rumors are true, I hope we as fans don't try to blame everyone else but the person who's truly responsible for this.

BB is responsible for everything, brother, including the Super Bowls, the victories, and the glory. No doubt he has made a serious mistake--but blame and praise walk here together.

My view on this isn't going to be popular. And I admit I don't know what the facts are. But let's pretend they are these: Goddell looks at the tape and thinks, "For F-ck's sake. I made clear they weren't supposed to do this and here they are doing it in the first game of the year."

If he genuinely believes that's what happened and that his message to the teams was clear, and that Belichick knew it, then I really can appreciate any sanction he might mete out.

Frankly, I'd be furious. Particularly if I was a new commissioner following a long-standing one and had to be conerned about whether I was being taken seriously. If a coach just deliberately flouted one of my first major initiatives, I'd hammer him and hammer him good. My only concern would be doing it in a way that was ultimately not disproportionate as among the other teams.

In my view, suspensions are wrong. Suppose BB gets suspended for the Cincinatti game. That's not fair to the Steelers and the Ravens, who are competing with Cincinatti in the standings and so shouldn't have a suspension possibly affect them by giving their team an advantage in a game. I would focus exactly on what people are reporting: draft picks. It hurts the team and the coach in a way that is no more or less fair for any other team in the league except perhaps in the most abstract way.

I don't know what the facts are going to be here. But if the tape shows a clear violation of something Goddell truly believes in his heart he told the teams clearly they couldn't do, I really see a very harsh punishment as little more than human nature.

Last edited:

BB is responsible for everything, brother, including the Super Bowls, the victories, and the glory. No doubt he has made a serious mistake--but blame and praise walk here together.

I'll hold the blame for now, but if what's reported is true, I don't see how anyone else can be blame for it. I just hope other Patriots fans don't try to turn it into a conspiracy against the Patriots like many have been doing so far, wouldn't look good at all.

Again, this is absurd!!!!

Goodell can't seriously believe that we are the only team doing this, can he? My guess is that Polian and the crew is pushing him along to do this.

"C'mon commish, you can do this. Throw the book at 'em, don't be afraid."

What is Goodell's physical stature? He is becomeing Napoleonic, Bush-esque.

Alright. Look, you don't need to bring politics into it. Geez...gimme a break, Pelosi...

If these rumors are true, I hope we as fans don't try to blame everyone else but the person who's truly responsible for this.

Right, Roger Goodell for bowing to media pressure and jealous elements in the NFL.

Who is the assistant head coach? Who assumes head coaching duties?

Scharneccia is assistant head coach. I assume he does, so Pees and McDaniels can remain as coordinators.

I am encouraged that we aren't consistently hearing "1st round". Combining the reports, Ch. 5 saying possibily 1st round but no mention of suspension I'm guessing that the Patriots have the choice to "buy down" the draft pick loss by taking a suspension. No suspension = 1st and 3rd. 2 game suspension = 2nd and 3rd or whatever. Just a gut feeling.

IF they bring down a FIRST round pick, a 3rd rounder (say) and a 2-3 game suspension for BB.....they are not out to bring justice against the coach only.,....they are out to F*%K the entire team!!!.......This punishment is way too excessive and now....puts GODdell in a even more uncomfortable position........anyone caught doing anything remotely unsportsmanlike SHOULD BE GIVEN THE SAME HARSH PENALTIES.........And again, if I were Kraft, I would hire my own inspectors to watch the oppositions crew.....and call in security immediately when things are noted that signal potential cheating....GODdell will have NO CHOICE but to bring the ULTIMATE PENALTY against everyone EQUALLY...........You see now Roger,....the whole world has changed for you......good luck

Right, Roger Goodell for bowing to media pressure and jealous elements in the NFL.

Agree. That is all he would be doing is bowing to media pressure. All thes ****ies that think we won because of videotape...blah, blah, blah. Try running your team and organization better, you jacka$$es...

I mean, I just can't understand some of the thoughts, everyone doing it doesn't matter, everyone hasn't won 3 Superbowls recently. If the evidence was there, and BB and Pats were warned about this directly by Roger and teh NFL previously, then BB and Pats organization deserve what they get. This was stupid of BB to go ahead with all this and cause all this. There is no excuse for that stupidity if the facts and evidence are there to support the accusations. BB brought this on the franchise and he should be punished as much as teh thought of losing Draft Picks sickens me, The NF and Goodell can't have BB basically spitting in his face when he already warned BB and the Pats directly. Ego has been teh downfall of alot of powerful people in history!

Why is it bowing to media pressure?

I guess that would be very comforting for us to all believe, but it's too convenient for me.

Why can't it just be a commissioner who decides his authority and rules have been violated so he's going to come down hard. We can scream until we're blue in the face about whether the punishment meets the crime. It probably doesn't. But part of the sanction -- maybe even most -- can be simply a message that coaches, players, fans, and everyone don't get to decide which rules they wish to follow and which they don't.

If that's the commish's view, that's a perfectly principled and rational way to look at your job, and it doesn't make you a puppet or a stooge.

Sorry. I don't have a problem with that. I'm prepared to suck it up and take it like a man, and I hope BB is too. Let's go forth, learn from it, and kick ass. In fact, bring it the F on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back