PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More Mallett Chit Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the only way Belichick deals Mallett is if he gets a 2nd for him, otherwise they are just creating a hole where none exists and it isn't worth it. Whether or not anyone will pay that is open for debate but i don't believe he would do it for a 3rd unless it was a top 3-5 pick in the round and he saw a player he loved there and had a viable plan for back-up for this year.

I think that the only way Belichick deals Mallett is if he gets a 2nd for him, otherwise they are just creating a hole where none exists and it isn't worth it. Whether or not anyone will pay that is open for debate but i don't believe he would do it for a 3rd unless it was a top 3-5 pick in the round and he saw a player he loved there and had a viable plan for back-up for this year.
he will get a second round pick for Mallet the same day that he begins a stand up comedy tour with Dane Cook.

Why would the Patriots trade their only backup QB for a 4th or 5th? Makes no sense.
because you can sign a backup who will never play for nothing, Hoyer was an UDFA

he will get a second round pick for Mallet the same day that he begins a stand up comedy tour with Dane Cook.

In which case they keep him.

Why would the Patriots trade their only backup QB for a 4th or 5th? Makes no sense.
I agree I think the lowest pick they would accept would be #65 from Houston; otherwise, they will let him play out his contract and take their chances with a compensatory pick as a return.

I think a third rounder would be fine. The reason to do it is to take another shot at a franchise QB replacement. If you've seen enough of Mallett to think he's not that guy, may as well reshuffle the deck and start developing someone else. Getting a third rounder is good value for him because that's what you gave to start with for him, so it's like you rented him for 3 years.

I'm still trying to figure out why any team would trade any pick for a guy that's just going to be an FA next year, let alone any pick. Further, if it's not a second rounder, why would Belichick trade away the only viable back-up option he has with experience in the system? The only way I could see that is if they're targetting a quarterback early.

Any GM that gives up a 3rd round pick for a backup qb, just doesn't like his job anymore.
Fire BB then for spending a #3 on a back up QB...Mallett

It makes sense to trade him. My guess we have Brady for 3-4 more years and Mallett is a FA next year. He's going to want to compete for a starting job before he's too old. I think BB likes him and wouldn't trade him if Brady were too retire in a year or two, but it doesn't make sense to have him as a backup, when he'll be gone next year. I think BB trades him for a 3rd rounder or better. Perhaps a 4th if it's a player he really wants.

Awesome. If anything indicates that the Patriots are going to get a 2nd for Mallett it is this.
I'm rubber and you're glue, what ever you say about my prediction bounces of me and sticks to you.

I'm still trying to figure out why any team would trade any pick for a guy that's just going to be an FA next year, let alone any pick. Further, if it's not a second rounder, why would Belichick trade away the only viable back-up option he has with experience in the system? The only way I could see that is if they're targetting a quarterback early.

Seattle gave up a 7th for pryor, And he at least has some starts under his belt. Mallet isnt going anywhere this offseason.

I think a third rounder would be fine. The reason to do it is to take another shot at a franchise QB replacement. If you've seen enough of Mallett to think he's not that guy, may as well reshuffle the deck and start developing someone else. Getting a third rounder is good value for him because that's what you gave to start with for him, so it's like you rented him for 3 years.

Except that fans have absolutely what mallett is or is not worth, they just like to think they do. the people who have seen enough of mallett are his coaches and they think highly enough of him to keep him as the back-up behind Brady, the rest of us just watch him watching games. I have no idea whether or not O'brien or others think he can play but we will find out on draft day. I think Belichick wants to shop him for a good pick but won't take less than that (i.e...2nd round or very high 3rd. otherwise they keep him.)

Seattle gave up a 7th for pryor, And he at least has some starts under his belt. Mallet isnt going anywhere this offseason.
I could be that what he DID in those starts is the reason Oakland could only get a 7th. He pretty much sucked. So I guess in some way, Mallett's lack of playing time could be a plus. ;)

I heard that the Pats have been talking about an extension for Mallett. So they must like something about him.

I just can't see Mallett agreeing to stay when he would have a better chance of starting almost literally anywhere else (even Denver).

In which case they keep him.
Are you saying that they keep him even if BB does the comedy tour? That's bold.

I think Pryor did well in Oakland, considering this context, OAKLAND.

The fact that Seattle gave only a 7th for him tells little in this story, Oakland sucks at trades, it's different markets, Seattle have a franchise QB. The rumors around Mallet link him to franchises in a need of a new QB, and for a QB who are familiar with a specific system, which is completely different from what they run in Oakland (do they have such a thing like a system there?) and Seattle.

Pryor is an excellent choice for a Russell Wilson backup, runner QB throwing as minimum as possible, maximizing his chances. They also look like brothers. A 6th round pick would be in order for that trade, but Oakland is not in position to demand anything.

The good thing about this draft is that they will definitely draft a QB high to compete with Schaub.

[url=http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24535294/report-raiders-trade-qb-terrelle-pryor-to-seahawks]Raiders trade QB Terrelle Pryor to Seahawks for seventh-round pick - CBSSports.com[/URL]

That sets the market for back-ups - a 7th rounder for Terrelle Pryor to be the back up in Seattle is a good deal for Seattle which already had a veteran back-up. Pryor may be converted to a receiver position, or could be good trade bait if the Seahawks want to move up in some round.

Mallett can't command better than that with no live action experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back