PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More Mallett Chit Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some comments on some of the more recent comments.

1. I agree with most of Sup's assessment that the BOB connection to Mallett is overstated by many. But even though O'Brien's time with Mallett as his OC was limited by the strike, BOB was fully involved in the draft process that brought him to NE.

2. That's key in that he has a good insight into what he saw then in Mallett to compare with what's likely to be out there with the 33rd pick in the draft (this assumes they don't take a QB at #1.) Clearly between what he saw on film, in the meeting rooms, and on the practice field, BOB has a much better sense of where Mallett is as a pure prospect, than he does with any of the QB's prospects he has a shot at now.

3. If he ranks Mallett higher than any QB he's likely to get at #33, than a trade IS possible. If he doesn't, then Mallett won't be in Texas. Has anyone ever asked O'Brien to compare Mallett to the top QB prospects this year? You'd think with the quality of mediots we have available here, someone "might" have thought to ask him. :rolleyes:

4. I will always believe that back in 2012, Cleveland would have been in much better shape today had they traded that #26 pick for Ryan Mallett instead of going for a 28 year old rookie with only one good year of college production.

5. I think Triumph is under rating Matt Cassell, In 2010 he had 27 TD's and only 7 picks, just 3 fumbles (;) ) and made the pro bowl. So his great year with the Pats wasn't just a fluke. Clearly his last 2 years with the Chiefs weren't great, but for a lot of reasons, it would be hard to put all the blame on him. He's shown in at least 2 seasons he can be solid NFL starting QB.

6. Texas will remain a top potential landing spot for Mallett simply because we know the offensive system fits as well as the need for a QB. I think the fairest deal for both sides would a middle round pick this season and a conditional pick in 2o15.

For example, a 4th round pick this year, plus a conditional pick that would range from a 3rd round pick if he starts 5 games, a 2nd round pick if he starts 11 games, a first round pick if he's the starter and the Texans make the playoffs, or a 6th round pick if he starts less than 5 games.

Even if he sucks the Pats get 2 picks. No one in Texas is going to get on BOB for the trade since they get to keep all their top picks. Plus if Mallett becomes their starting QB, no one will be pissed about giving a 1sr rounder in 2015, since that would be the are back in the playoffs, plus the pick would be in the 20's,

7. And while I doubt very much he is dealt this off season, it is a lot of fun to speculate about.

????????? Who exactly would the Patriots spend $5 million on? Kolb? Grossman?Garrard?
McCown, Vick, Cassel, Fitzpatrick and Henne are all competing for starting gigs or are the current starter.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/45947/309/free-agency-update
Quarterbacks

1. Michael Vick (Signed one-year, $5M deal with NYJ)
2. Mark Sanchez (Signed one-year, $2.25M deal with PHI)
3. Josh McCown (Signed two-year, $10M deal with TB)

4. Matt Cassel (Re-signed two-year, $10M deal with MIN)
5. Josh Freeman (Signed one-year deal with NYG)
6. Shaun Hill (Signed one-year, $1.75M deal with STL)

7. Ryan Fitzpatrick (Signed two-year, $7.5M deal with HOU)
8. Jason Campbell (Signed one-year, $1.5M deal with CIN)
9. Chad Henne (Re-signed two-year, $8M deal with JAX)
10. Tarvaris Jackson (Re-signed one-year, $1.25M deal with SEA)
11. Kevin Kolb
12. Brandon Weeden (Signed two-year, $1.53M deal with DAL)
13. Colt McCoy (Signed one-year, $795K deal with WAS)
14. Matt Flynn (Re-signed one-year deal with GB)
15. Kellen Clemens (Signed two-year, $3M deal with SD)
16. Luke McCown (Re-signed one-year, $920K deal with NO)
17. Derek Anderson (Re-signed two-year, $2.564M deal with CAR)
18. David Garrard
19. Dan Orlovsky (Signed one-year, $920K deal with DET)
20. Rex Grossman
21. Curtis Painter (Re-signed one-year, $795K deal with NYG)
22. Charlie Whitehurst (Signed two-year, $4M deal with TEN)

Looks to me you essentially proved my case. Going price from $2-5 million per annum. Just who is still available if Mallett is moved? There doesn't seem to be much and whoever is left will be in a buyers market.

BB won't move Mallett until 2015, unless it is very attractive to do so, and that isn't a third or less.

Looks to me you essentially proved my case. Going price from $2-5 million per annum.

The going rate for the majority of NFL backups is not 2-5 million dollars though, especially when you take out the group of guys that are competing for starting jobs. Just looking at 3 divisions off the top of my head in the AFC....NONE of them aside from Vick are making anything more than peanuts.

AFCEAST

N.England--Ryan Mallett
Miami--Matt Moore
Buffalo--Thad Lewis
NYJets--MIKE VICK (brought in for starting competition)

AFCNORTH

Pittsburgh--Bruce Gradkowski
Baltimore--Tyrod Taylor
Cleveland--Brian Hoyer
Cincinnati--Josh Johnson

AFCWEST

Denver--Brock Osweiler
KC-- Chase Daniel
SD-- Charlie Whitehurst
OAK-- Was Terelle Pryor

Looks to me you essentially proved my case. Going price from $2-5 million per annum. Just who is still available if Mallett is moved? There doesn't seem to be much and whoever is left will be in a buyers market.

BB won't move Mallett until 2015, unless it is very attractive to do so, and that isn't a third or less.

Out of the 22 listed 3 are unsigned and 12 signed for less than 2 million or less for 2014. Five (Vick, McCown, Henne, Cassel and Fitzpatrick) sit atop their teams depth chart, which is why they are in the 3-5 million range, that leaves only Sanchez (2.25) and Clemons (3) as backups making more than 2 million.

Any potential backup QB FA signing in NE would not be in competition for the starting job.

If Mallet does get moved, I would imagine they would have a rookie as the backup.

They haven't paid anyone $1M a year to be a backup QB since Damon Huard. I don't see them starting now.

Has anyone ever asked O'Brien to compare Mallett to the top QB prospects this year? You'd think with the quality of mediots we have available here, someone "might" have thought to ask him. :rolleyes:

something tells me BoB wouldn't answer that question due to the fact that it would be considered tampering.

something tells me BoB wouldn't answer that question due to the fact that it would be considered tampering.
Yeah, you are probably right, but you'd think with all the stupid thing the mediots ask HC's, you'd think someone would have been smart enough to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News