PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More Mallett Chit Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumors are the Pats have rejected second round pick trades in the past. Maybe they are true.

This QB class is weak despite potentially three or four likely to be taken in the first round. If Mallett was a draft prospect this year, he would likely be a first or second rounder. Maybe his stock really hasn't increased, but the QB options for QB starved teams are just that much worse.
Yeah, I'm not particularly fond of the 2014 Draft's QB crop. If one looks at the group in that light and projects Mallett favorably compared with the potential picks, I can see why rumors abound. That said, I tend to take a "I'll believe it when I see it" approach to matters such as these. Speculation leads to wild innuendo, something I can do without.

Interestingly, Mallett's arm strength would be something Josh Gordon's downfield speed would be seriously advantaged by. If they take Sammy Watkins to pair with Gordon then I could see a deal as such happening.

People keep saying the Patriots can't trade Mallet because they would never go into the season with a rookie QB2.

But that's exactly what the Pats did in 2009, with UDFA Brian Hoyer. So it doesn't even have to be a draft pick QB.

Right now Mallet's worth is a year's service and a ~5th round compensatory pick in 2016. I'd trade that for 2nd round pick, or even a 4th + conditional, if the Pats really like this draft.

The longer Ryan Mallett is discussed the more convinced I become that us Patriots fan seriously overestimate whatever renumeration the Patriots may receive if he is part of any deal either before, during or after the draft.
That's why I posted this tweet from someone who has nothing to do with the Patriots. This isn't a fan posting his hopes and dreams.

I hope they trade Mallett to the Browns so I can make a Lombardi joke.

Not meaning to sound sarcastic by any means, but I think the fact that all of them are significantly younger, and would come on a cheap rookie contract for the next 4-5 years would be pretty decent reasons.

With Mallett, yes-- you're getting someone with more "experience" (and I use that term loosely), but you're also getting someone who needs to re-sign a brand new deal at the end of the year that you're going to have to take a big chance on financially, and someone who's about 5 years older than some of these guys.

Those reasons may offset any value that someone may see in Mallett. Of course, there are also the potential pluses that you speak of as well, so it's all about if someone wants to take a chance on him or not.

What I meant was; in my opinion spending a top 10 pick on Blake Bortles seems like absolute insanity to me. You can't tell me that Bortles is a better prospect than Mallet was coming out. Mallet was a top prospect in his class and played in the SEC and put up better numbers than Bortles against tougher competition.

The only reason Mallet's draft stock dropped was due to character concerns which since been to be baseless rumors; in his 3 years in the league Mallet has not been in trouble once or had any issues. He was 3 years as a professional sitting behind one of the greatest to ever play the position. He has only improved.

Significantly younger? Not really more like 2-3 years younger. Bortles is 22 and Carr is 23. Mallet is 25. Mallet could have another 12-15 years in the league if he proves successful.

As for contract, it's not like Mallet is going to cost crazy money. I am sure a team that trades for him will tack a year or two onto his current contract probably paying with 5 a year in case he doesn't work out.

For me I guess the question is if you are QB needy team, would you rather spend your 1st round pick on Bortles /Carr/Savage or "use" your second round pick on Mallet

Do you think that Belichick would be okay with paying Matt Cassel that kind of money that he just signed for, just to be our backup? When Cassel signed the deal last month, he was under the impression that he would probably be the starter in MIN; or at the very least the odds on favorite to win the job in training camp.

That'd be an awful lot of money to pay for a backup QB in my opinion. I think he's making 3.5m per year with his brand new deal.
Hopefully, they could use one of the 3rd's to grab a corner which would allow them to cut Arrington and use that money for Cassel ;)

Actually, I'm OK with not grabbing Cassel and going with a unknown commodity instead.

Vikes need a young QB.

I'd propose to them Mallet for both of the Vikes 3rd rounder's (72 and 96) and Matt Casell.

You couldnt get EITHER a 3rd or Cassell from the Vikings for Ryan Mallett.

People keep saying the Patriots can't trade Mallet because they would never go into the season with a rookie QB2.

But that's exactly what the Pats did in 2009, with UDFA Brian Hoyer. So it doesn't even have to be a draft pick QB.

Right now Mallet's worth is a year's service and a ~5th round compensatory pick in 2016. I'd trade that for 2nd round pick, or even a 4th + conditional, if the Pats really like this draft.

Sound reasoning.

I stand corrected.

Significantly younger? Not really more like 2-3 years younger. Bortles is 22 and Carr is 23. Mallet is 25....

As for contract, it's not like Mallet is going to cost crazy money. I am sure a team that trades for him will tack a year or two onto his current contract probably paying with 5 a year in case he doesn't work out.

A quarterback prospect that has spend 3 years learning behind the best in Brady and Belichick is at the very least on par with another quarterback prospect that 3 years younger and comes a little cheaper.

I agree with your points.

OK, if you say ......
Yup. Mallett was a 3rd round pick who has done nothing to increase that assessment, and he has sat and done nothing for 3 years. No one is giving a 3 or a guy they believe will be their starter for a 3rd round pick who hasn't progressed.

IDK, I was listening to Sirius NFL Radio today and they were talking seriously about the possibility of the Browns giving up their second rounder for Mallett and even advocating that move. The Browns fan they were talking to said he would jump at a Mallett for their second, but feared the Pats would want another pick on top of it ( which the hosts dismissed). Not they have any influence on the Browns or any other team, but does indicate that expecting a second or third May not be as crazy as it sounds.

It's possible that with the shine coming off the rookie QB crop that, that teams considering drafting a question mark QB would be better off using their #1 for a more proven player and taking what may be LESS of a chance with Mallett,

if that's the case you can see the potential for his "draft stock" to increase

I mean, just the simple question of where in the draft Mallett would be drafted if he were in the draft this season - albeit with 2 years of NFL conditioning, good behavior, and watching Belichick and Brady

There's fewer question marks with Mallett than with some of these other QBs

Yup. Mallett was a 3rd round pick who has done nothing to increase that assessment, and he has sat and done nothing for 3 years. No one is giving a 3 or a guy they believe will be their starter for a 3rd round pick who hasn't progressed.
I don't know what is being offered - and neither do you - but we all know Mallett was a #1 pick had the rumors of drug problems not abounded. Three years of no problems does alleviate that concern. Again, I don’t know what we could get. I do kmow I wouldn't trade him for less than a #2 or equivalent.

How do you know he hasn't progressed? Because he hasn't over taken Brady as the starter? He was once the QB3 now he's the QB2.

flounder_oh_boy.png

Significantly younger? Not really more like 2-3 years younger.

t

Mallett turns 26 in about 6 weeks, so he's definitely going to be significantly older than a guy like Manziel who just turned 21 in December, or someone like Bridgewater who just turned 21 in November.

That's a much more significant difference than "2-3 years," although you'd be right in pointing out that most of the prospects are 22 vs Mallett's 26 (first week of June), so the 21 of Manziel and Bridgewater isn't the norm.

I agree with your thoughts on it being a possibility. I'm just pointing out the fact that these are significantly younger, more longer term prospects who are going to be on cheap, rookie deals for the next 4-5 years.

If someone actually gives up a high round pick for Mallett like you are suggesting, they are certainly going to be doing so with the thought that he's a starter, or at least the odds on favorite to win the job. Since his pact is up, one would assume that there's a decent chance that the new team will want to sign him to a new deal, so they don't risk losing him less than a year after giving up a higher round pick for him. If that's the case, he may certainly warrant higher compensation that would be the equivalent of taking a shot in the dark.

If the new team were able to get Mallett on the same kind of cheap, rookie deal again things may be a lot different. I don't know how much/if any that aspect could play into things, but it's certainly something worth pondering.

Last edited:
Sound reasoning.

I stand corrected.

While you stand corrected, I believe it's also the only time it's happened since Belichick has been here. Normally, it takes a rookie QB a full season to pick up our system, which is why Hoyer was tendered and kept during Mallett's rookie year in 2011, then let go the next year once Mallett had 2 training camps under his belt.

We have no idea as to what Belichick may have seen in Hoyer's ability to quickly pick up our system in 2009, or whether or not it was just a flat out gamble and roll of the dice that Brady wouldn't get hurt 2 yrs in a row. Hoyer may have shown things that the average backup QB normally doesn't in such a short amount of time. We really have no idea what Belichick's thought process was, but we do know that it isn't the majority or the "norm."

I don't know how often we could get away with that, but Bill Belichick isn't the kind of guy who leaves himself exposed too often, especially at the position that is most important to the entire team. For those who claim "we'd be done if Brady got hurt anyways, so it doesn't matter," I would think that Bill Belichick would highly disagree with that line of thinking and wouldn't be afraid to let one know how ridiculous that thought is.

The bottom line is probably that if a team offered us a higher (3rd round) pick, it would be enough to warrant pulling the trigger and rolling the dice again. Anything less than that may not be worth it, although a 4th may allow us to immediately replace Mallett with a guy like McCarron or Mettenberger, so that may be enough of an incentive just as well.

Every time it comes to evaluating Mallett's value I see this same old 'learned from Brady and Belichick' trope. Which is weird because the Pats have only produced 1 good QB in Belichick's tenure and his name is Brady. I liked Cassel, I liked Hoyer but these aren't guys who commanded big trade value or went on to accomplish great things.

So why would Mallett be different?

So many think Patriots part Mallett for a low pick, they wont....
Mallett might leave in a year, but hes cheap this year and gonna be a 3-4 round comp pick. As they would get in 16 where they really wanna look for a Brady replacement.

How many QBs in this class are seriously starters? So even if you use a top pick on Bortles, Manziel or Waterfall they should be sitting and learn for some time - They simply aint ready to start.

All those factors adds to the value of Mallett. Does it make him superior vs the others, ofcause not. But Browns, Vikings and Texans AINT rebuilding, they have a team. They wont "wait" 2 years on Manziel learning to slide...
So you have to take the QB needing teams and put them in 2 Groups, those WHO need a starter and those WHO need a future starter. Jax might be both but they are more then a QB away, Same could be sayed of Oak, but they have Schaub.

Texans ( BoB ) trying to install a patriots offense, a modified Ron Erhardt and Ray Perkins system. Might be faster and smarter to do so with QB WHO knows the system.
Vikings have Norv Turner WHO tryed to trade for Mallett with Browns last year ( rumors ) and Mallett fits hes system perfectly. And AD aint getting younger, A QB and a few D pieceing and they might be back in playoff.
Browns had success with Hoyer, WHO Mallett made redundant, they have to Wonder why. Still, be a surprice if the new staff looked toward that option, but they have more then plenty of picks.

Last edited:
I think Mallet to the Vikings for their 96th pick is good value for both teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back