PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MNF Week One Double Header

Eli really trying hard to get that first INT.

You know he's been waiting all offseason to throw one! :D

How did the Pats lose to these clowns twice... :mad:

Stafford throws to a Transformer.....Brady throws to matchboxes

I wonder whatever happened to that Lions scrub that waved his finger in Brady's face in last year's preseason..

Should have posted these before the game started, but here are some thoughts from beat writers for the two teams:

Beat writer breakdown: Banged-up Giants will be overwhelmed by Detroit Lions | mlive.com

('MLive' is a Detroit newspaper, and Conor Orr is a Giants reporter at NJ.com)

MLive: The Giants went 5-0 in the preseason, but how did they actually look? And is there hope New York will be better than last year's 7-9 outfit? (Though they still managed to eliminate the Lions from the playoffs in Week 16.)

Conor Orr: The Giants looked nothing short of awful this preseason. In more than a game's worth of snaps, Eli Manning threw for fewer than 200 yards and just one touchdown. He completed fewer than 50 percent of his passes and appeared no more comfortable in the new offense than he did last year behind a makeshift offensive line.

While it is a work in progress, Manning's progress has been slow.

MLive: Eli Manning led the universe in interceptions last year. He has a new system this year. How has he looked, and what are the expectations for that offense?

Orr: The expectations for this offense won't be realized until receiver Odell Beckham, a first-round pick, gets back on the field. Until the Giants have a playmaker on the field to help Victor Cruz, they'll rely on the run game more than ever.

Eli Manning looks a lot like he did last year -- worried about the impending rush and frustrated with the lack of separation by his wideouts.

Giants starters for Week 1: Who gets the nod at right guard, middle linebacker? | NJ.com

According to the Giants, John Jerry will get the nod over Brandon Mosley at right guard. Jon Beason will start at middle linebacker over Jameel McClain and McClain will start as the strong-side linebacker over rookie Devon Kennard.

My best guess is that the Giants end up using a lot of Nickel tonight anyway, so the strong-side linebacker position will be more of a formality. Jacquian Williams and Beason will see the most snaps among linebackers unless the Lions go heavy on the running game.

Weston Richburg a key to Giants season, being asked to grow up quickly | NJ.com

Forget about any sort of acclimation or transition period. Dire straights have forced the Giants to throw their second-round pick straight into the fire, beginning with his first career game on Monday night in Detroit against one of the league's better defensive lines.

Thanks to Chris Snee retiring days before the start of training camp and Geoff Schwartz landing on short-term injured reserve with a toe injury, Richburg's NFL indoctrination will come at a position he wasn't necessarily drafted to play, and a position he hadn't manned since his freshman year at Colorado State in 2010. It's a spot he doesn't appear best suited to fill.

Richburg was drafted to be the Giants' future center. He is currently the Giants' starting left guard.

At 298 pounds, that's quite the undertaking the Giants have bestowed on their rookie lineman...

All eyes are on Ben McAdoo in Giants debut | NJ.com

Our focus, though, will be on Ben McAdoo. All eyes will be on the new coordinator who makes his professional play-calling debut tonight against a dangerous Lions defense. Because the Giants are claiming to have been intentionally vague in the preseason, we'll be expecting formations, route combos and personnel groupings we haven't seen before.

McAdoo has the ability to take a lot of weight off his back tonight and calm a fan base that has been nervously watching the Giants stumble through the preseason. In the equivalent of 1 1/2 games against starters this summer, Eli Manning threw for fewer than 200 yards and just one touchdown. The communication problems were back with Rueben Randle and teams didn't forget to double Victor Cruz all of a sudden.

Does McAdoo change that tonight?​

Giants vs. Lions predictions | NJ.com

Jordan Raanan

FINAL SCORE: Lions 34, Giants 10

There is just too much working against the Giants here in the season opener. Detroit may have a new offensive and defensive system, but they at least have some stability up front returning the same starting offensive line as last season. The Giants have three new starters up front and struggle mightily against a dominant Lions front four. They have trouble moving the ball, turn it over multiple teams and leave the defense stranded like they did too often last year. The result is a game that is not even close by the fourth quarter.

Giants vs. Lions inactives: Two of Giants' first three draft picks on list | NJ.com

Wait, according to some on this forum I was under the impression that every NFL draft pick from the first three or four rounds was supposed to step right in and be at minimum a capable starter right from week one of his rookie season.

Caldwell always looks like someone just broke wind under his nose...

• Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1
Would also have been nice if the refs were enforcing the rules around faking injuries...

Jim caldwell is a tool

I think Gruden the commentator would gush over Walt Coleman when he made the tuck rule call.

Don't ever underestimate the ability of the Lions to f### up a sure thing.

The many faces of Jim Caldwell...

Don't ever underestimate the ability of the Lions to f### up a sure thing.

At least Schwartz isn't there to help them do that

Cue the Elinterception in 3..2..1..

Would also have been nice if the refs were enforcing the rules around faking injuries...

The problem with that is proving it. Unless a team makes it obvious that they are faking or a player/players/coaches admit it, it is really tough to prove. Though, I do remember during a Giants game back in 2011 I think when 2 or 3 Giants players dropped at the same time. One stayed down while the other, after seeing his team mate down, got immediately up. It doesn't get much more obvious they were faking than that. I don't think the NFL punished the Giants though.

If Detroit could clamp down on self inflicted wounds (i.e. penalties) then they have the making of a very good team. There's some serious speed in their D.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Eli throwing 3 times inside the 3. He's learned well from Peyton.

Penalties thus far:
Lions 7
Giants 1

Penalty yardage:
Lions 70
Giants 5

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss... Detroit's biggest problem is still the same, regardless of who the head coach is.

Lions D line will scare me when we play. Same with CJ. Tough games this year.

I wonder whatever happened to that Lions scrub that waved his finger in Brady's face in last year's preseason..

Got a 3 year/$9m contract from the Bears.

Had a sack against Buffalo yesterday.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back