PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Lombardi on the Pats defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's not going to happen on this forum, but you can't put a whole lot of stock into however this defense looks the first few weeks. Can't get too high if they look great and can't get too low if they look terrible. This process requires lots of patience and things will change alot by season's end. I remember how awful the defenses of 2001, 2003, and 2005 looked early on and how great they were at the end (even though '05 ended bad overall, the defense was damn stout). At the same time I remember 2002 and 2006

You are 100% right about this defense needing time to jell - I do believe they will come of age by the second half of the season.

I also think you must have been joking with your first line, you know darn well there will be doom & gloomers galore tripping over each other as they jump off the bandwagon, only to return in droves when things go well.

BTW, Lombardi gushed about the Jarrad Page. He thinks he will be huge for the Pats in the red zone. Lombardi says he is a very smart player who doesn't bite on QB fakes like Meriweather can from time to time (that is what he said).

I heard him make this point also and took it as a major positive for the upcoming season.

As Troy Brown would say Bingo...We have Bingo.

Golden-Globes-Win-Landa-Bingo-2010.gif

I happened to listen to sarandis last Sunday didn't even know he still did radio. Any way... I never have called to a sports talk show but almost did. Again he had no idea what the oats depth chart was, and he was actually angry that the Patriots were letting Adalius Thomas go to the jets to hurt them and was saying the pats should re-sign Thomas. As if he had no idea that A. Thomas can't play B. That the bridge had been burnt. He said he could see a 6-10 season. Then callers were agreeing with him and they sounded like regular callers. Keep in mind this is the same guy who wanted fans to call ABC and tell FIFA to ban vuvuzellas at the world cup. As if abc has the clout to make fans abandon their national traditions for a world tournament. The guy is a clueless old man who can't understand why BC basketball is not the most followed sports team in Boston.

Did Sarandis ask Lombardi about the lack of interest in college sports in Boston? The lack of places to eat late at night?

I like to think that some things stay the same.

I like Mike because by and large he is thoughtful and when it comes to BB somewhat insightful where Bill and this system are concerned because he came up under him in Cleveland and he apprecaites where both Bill and his system went from there. Same deal with Mayock although he and I tend to disagree on QB assessment... That Lombardi picked Miami early this pre season and has stuck with it baffles me...

As for Ted Sarandis, he is a mean spirited little man on so many levels and college hoops are his thing (to the point he hates Boston fans because they aren't into college sports the way many areas who long lagged on pro teams are). He was on for the holiday weekend as a fill in and it's hard to tell which was worse or more egotistical, him or the full of themselves callers he was attracting. My favorite sounded like his old pal Ray the minor league baseball fanatic and he started off with a diatribe about how fans needed to face the fact that BB inherited a talent laden team here and it was talent that won and once that talent was gone he was exposed... I think that one was still fuming about not signing Peppers... I wondered which idiot member of this board he might be... It is really pathetic that this market can't attrack a better quality media talent to cover it's sports teams and educate it's fanbases.

Last edited:
:confused:

Guys like Lombardi and Mayock are pretty much the only ones worth their salt in the national media.

Of course, I have been drinking today so I'm sure I may be forgetting a few, but the point stands.

and 1 on both points. i think mayock and lombardi are top notch.

Mike Lombardi was on 98.5 with Ted Sarandis today and Lombardi feels the young players on this defense are talent and he feels that this defense will be a good defense the second half of the year. He really think Mayo will emerge this year too. He thinks that the only thing this defense really needs to be good is experience.

On a side note, I forgot how bad Ted Sarandis really is. The guy barely knows the Pats' players. He constantly referred to the official unofficial Pats depth chart to name the starters. Unfortunately for him, that depth chart is majorly wrong with Sanders and Guyton starting over Chung and Spikes. Apparently Sarandis didn't realize it. He also kept referring to Revis' deal as seven years, $46 million (really a four year, $46 million with a three year option). He was so adament that the Jets were clearly better than the Pats and the best the Pats would do is 9-7 (which I have no problem with him predicting), he ruined the interview with Lombardi because he so tried to get Lombardi to back up his position by stearing the questions that way and Lombardi is high on the Pats (at least for the division) and think the Jets are way overhyped and may be somewhere around 8-8. Lombardi is a Belichick butt boy so I take his predictions with a grain of salt.

He's a pom pom waving BB fan. He's not a good source for objective Patriots analysis.

I agree with Lombardi on BOTH points:

1 ~ Mayo ~ despite what many say ~ is poised for an HUGE year.

2 ~ The Patriots Defense should finish the year VERY strongly, after a shaky start.

Same here!

1 I think we should evaluate the ILB as a group. If Spikes turns out to be an upgrade from Guyton, our ILB will easily get an HUGE year.

2 The schedule also make it possible.

BTW, Lombardi gushed about the Jarrad Page. He thinks he will be huge for the Pats in the red zone. Lombardi says he is a very smart player who doesn't bite on QB fakes like Meriweather can from time to time (that is what he said).

I think he will be a big contributor to this defense.

On paper when healthy this defense has great P-O-T-E-N-T-I-A-L.

Other than that..I haven't a clue how good/bad they will be.

Gonna enjoy the ride this season watching all the youngsters mature.

We need to be lucky to be good on defense. This defense is very young and very thin; we will need a lot of luck. Brace, Cunningham and McCourtney need to produce and we need to to be very healthy because we already had all the injuries we could afford and then already.

Actually I think our depth is pretty strong. We have questions at starting positions due to inexperience, but the reserves are pretty strong, for reserves.
It adds up to the same thing anyway, because more questions at starting positions make the dropoff even to a good backup more troublesome.

Mike Lombardi is spot on. This defense is going to be the best defense in the NFL! In fact, their defense is so good, their 3rd stringers would be starters for any other team in the NFL.

Mike Lombardi is spot on. This defense is going to be the best defense in the NFL! In fact, their defense is so good, their 3rd stringers would be starters for any other team in the NFL.

This just indicate how low your football IQ is. There is no more 3rd string on the roster. That only happens prior to the cutdown to 53.

This just indicate how low your football IQ is. There is no more 3rd string on the roster. That only happens prior to the cutdown to 53.
Aw shucks, you got me. :rolleyes:

Oh wait, actually there is a 3rd string, like a 3rd QB on a roster. Nice try.

Last edited:

Who are you supposed to be? You're mocking posts that do not exist. It's making it tough to read the board. Maybe you would prefer patscritiques.com.

I was talking about in general. Teams do carry 3 QB's or 3 RB's etc.

No you weren't. You were talking about the Patriots defense. We don't have any 3rd string on defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call