PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac and the "It Factor"

I think the frustration is that Tom Brady was everything Mac Jones is not. It's a very noticeable drop off. You go from the penthouse to the outhouse seto speak.

You get accustomed to the comebacks, making everyone else better, championships, & GOAT performances. Then, one day it's suddenly gone. Instead of being conditioned to a win when your QB has the ball late, you go to expecting a loss in the same situation.

No matter who it was, the next guy at QB walked into an impossible situation. I think if Mac had been drafted a few years after Brady left, it may not be as noticeable. But he was drafted a year after Brady left for Tampa.

So I do feel bad for him. Unfortunately, it appears as though an amicable split may be beneficial to the organization and Mac.

I should add..the HC did him no favors by sticking him with Patricia and no great #1 WR/good OL.
The first part is 100% on. Having watched Brady for 20 years, I don't understand how any rational Pats fan can see Mac and think he will be a good QB. Literally has nothing that Brady did.

I an not talking about him being great either. A QB to be successful needs to be a leader, have fire, stand in the pocket and face the rush and not panic, have a strong throw, have pocket awareness, make the right decision at key moments, throw ball away and Mac has none of that.

If people were not complete homers his deficiencies were glaringly obvious from year 1.

This game was the Mac special. Struggle to move the ball all game long, score 10 points off turnovers that set you up deep in opponent territory, throw a back breaking pick but put together one late drive when down two scores to give his defenders material to keep going for another week. We see this exact script about 4 or 5 times per year. Already happened in the other Dolphins game.

This game was the Mac special. Struggle to move the ball all game long, score 10 points off turnovers that set you up deep in opponent territory, throw a back breaking pick but put together one late drive when down two scores to give his defenders material to keep going for another week. We see this exact script about 4 or 5 times per year. Already happened in the other Dolphins game.
Even Arizona in full tank more with a backup have a better passing offense than the Patriots people will make every excuse for Mac but i could argue if you put him in Miami with their weapons he'd still commit brutal turnovers, cost them with his limited arm talent failing to maximize the deep threats and fail to close games in the 4th quarter.

Will Levis on debut just had a better game than Mac Jones has ever had.

Daniels says what I’ve been saying. Ride the season out with Jones starting every game regardless of outcome. If he shows signs he can be good with the right team around him then they know what should happen this offseason. If he doesn’t then no 5th year and it’s QB shopping time at the draft.

Only reason to trade Jones right now selling low for a 3rd day pick like some are suggesting is if he’s become a locker room problem and needs to exit the roster. I don’t see any report about that. They are not a better team with any other QB on the roster and that says a lot more about the other QB’s than Jones. No point sending Jones packing right now if there’s no good reason to do that.

Last edited:
Even Arizona in full tank more with a backup have a better passing offense than the Patriots people will make every excuse for Mac but i could argue if you put him in Miami with their weapons he'd still commit brutal turnovers, cost them with his limited arm talent failing to maximize the deep threats and fail to close games in the 4th quarter.

Will Levis on debut just had a better game than Mac Jones has ever had.
That's what people don't get. They keep believing the NFL is just littered with these awful QBs and that the Patriots could do soooo much worse than Mac Jones. They can't. They can do slightly worse, but that's about it. There are few top tier quarterbacks, but the worst starters at the position can still play a little bit, it's not like there's this big risk of moving on from Mac Jones and getting horrific QB play. Even backups are coming in and performing adequately every week.

That's what people don't get. They keep believing the NFL is just littered with these awful QBs and that the Patriots could do soooo much worse than Mac Jones. They can't. They can do slightly worse, but that's about it. There are few top tier quarterbacks, but the worst starters at the position can still play a little bit, it's not like there's this big risk of moving on from Mac Jones and getting horrific QB play. Even backups are coming in and performing adequately every week.
Just like they couldn't do any worse than Marc Wilson and Tommy Hodson...until Hugh Millen showed up right after that.

They absolutely can do a lot worse than a guy like Mac Jones.

Last edited:
Just like they couldn't do any worse than Marc Wilson and Tommy Hodson...until Hugh Millen showed up right after that.

They absolutely can do a lot worse than a guy like Mac Jones.
There isn't a single QB in football doing "a lot worse" than Mac Jones right now. There are guys who are slightly worse, but to not make a move based on the fear of ending up with one of those would be foolish. There are about 4 or 5 guys around Mac's level or production and slightly under, and 30 guys above it.

Ironically enough, the exact line of thinking of "we could do worse, let's roll with this guy" is what led the Giants to giving money to the player who's been the only QB in the league with an argument that he's meaningfully worse than Mac Jones. We should take note of their folly.

Also, Hugh Millen wasn't worse than Wilson and Hodson either. He had a better passer rating, ANY/A and overall record as a starter than both of those guys with the Pats. At worst he was just as bad as them.

Last edited:
Mac was bad yesterday. Basically ended the game with the pick before the half and he's lucky he only threw one. He was feeling a rush that wasn't really there early on and couldn't figure out a way to get a third down conversion. Mac just isn't the guy and it is always one step forward and two steps back with him.

Mac was bad yesterday. Basically ended the game with the pick before the half and he's lucky he only threw one. He was feeling a rush that wasn't really there early on and couldn't figure out a way to get a third down conversion. Mac just isn't the guy and it is always one step forward and two steps back with him.
he can't see the field, nor process quickly enough, and always goes to his pre snap read
he can go to the xfl and may be there an average qb

There isn't a single QB in football doing "a lot worse" than Mac Jones right now. There are guys who are slightly worse, but to not make a move based on the fear of ending up with one of those would be foolish. There are about 4 or 5 guys around Mac's level or production and slightly under, and 30 guys above it.

Ironically enough, the exact line of thinking of "we could do worse, let's roll with this guy" is what led the Giants to giving money to the player who's been the only QB in the league with an argument that he's meaningfully worse than Mac Jones. We should take note of their folly.

Also, Hugh Millen wasn't worse than Wilson and Hodson either. He had a better passer rating, ANY/A and overall record as a starter than both of those guys with the Pats. At worst he was just as bad as them.
Millen was horrible. 5-15 as a starter and all 5 wins were in his first year. 2:1 INT/TD ratio. QBs are measured in TD/INT but his was literally INT/TD. Sacked 87 times in 20 starts which probably gets him the single season sacked record. 2-14 in his final season with the team. Either way... it definitely can get worse.

Ok, so is it Mac or the receivers, I see a lot of posters saying our receivers suck and a lot saying Mac sucks, if those other teams have better receivers and are not doing much, then they're worse than Mac with their better receivers. It's also possible Mac and our receivers suck.

Daniels says what I’ve been saying. Ride the season out with Jones starting every game regardless of outcome. If he shows signs he can be good with the right team around him then they know what should happen this offseason. If he doesn’t then no 5th year and it’s QB shopping time at the draft.

Only reason to trade Jones right now selling low for a 3rd day pick like some are suggesting is if he’s become a locker room problem and needs to exit the roster. I don’t see any report about that. They are not a better team with any other QB on the roster and that says a lot more about the other QB’s than Jones. No point sending Jones packing right now if there’s no good reason to do that.
Mac is on pace for less than 3500 yards, 19 TDs and 17 picks. I know what he is; there is 0 left to find out.

We need a different QB for next year; don't care how we get him.

Mac is on pace for less than 3500 yards, 19 TDs and 17 picks. I know what he is; there is 0 left to find out.

We need a different QB for next year; don't care how we get him.
I also don't want to become the Colts who tried and failed with washed up vets like Rivers and Wentz and Ryan and backups like Jacoby... we need someone young to build with. My point was I don't see the upside to sending away Mac right now for a bag of footballs. That doesn't make the team better now or help them be better in 2024.

Millen was horrible. 5-15 as a starter and all 5 wins were in his first year. 2:1 INT/TD ratio. QBs are measured in TD/INT but his was literally INT/TD. Sacked 87 times in 20 starts which probably gets him the single season sacked record. 2-14 in his final season with the team. Either way... it definitely can get worse.
Wilson and Hodson were a combined 2-20, with 16 TDs and 27 INTs, compared to Millen's 17 TDs, 28 INTs, dude. They also took 80 sacks in 22 starts. It absolutely did not get meaningfully worse. Just as it very likely won't if they move on from Mac Jones. Not even Zach Wilson has been meaningfully worse. What's the downside?

Ok, so is it Mac or the receivers, I see a lot of posters saying our receivers suck and a lot saying Mac sucks, if those other teams have better receivers and are not doing much, then they're worse than Mac with their better receivers. It's also possible Mac and our receivers suck.
It's both. Everything on offense is terrible.

It's both. Everything on offense is terrible.
The only way to see if it's both is to get another QB in there.

Horrible receivers like Jonnu Smith and Nelson Algholor are this year doubling their production as Patriots. (Haven't checked on their #s yesterday).

The OL gave Mac plenty of time to throw yesterday, and since Strange and Onwenu have come in at guard and tackle, they've done their job.

The only way to see if it's both is to get another QB in there.

Horrible receivers like Jonnu Smith and Nelson Algholor are this year doubling their production as Patriots. (Haven't checked on their #s yesterday).

The OL gave Mac plenty of time to throw yesterday, and since Strange and Onwenu have come in at guard and tackle, they've done their job.
It would be malpractice to get another QB in there without retooling the skill positions on offense. These guys aren't good enough.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back