PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Jenkins Standing Out Early

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watch some tape on him. He runs precise routes, very clean; I think that's the main reason he was signed. He has size and decent hands but the pejorative is pretty accurate. Let's see if he picks up the system and gels with TB. Don't get your hope up.

I can see that.

However, I'm not sure Hawkins or Moe are better options than the only WR who has experience in the system. If we had a prime Deion Branch or someone else with years in the system on the roster, then maybe - - but to go into the season with 6 WR's all brand new seems a bit tricky (given our team's recent history on new WRs being able to learn it's route tree).

I agree, it's not ideal, but I just get the sense the Pats brass is lukewarm on Edelman and that he is more of a contingency plan than anything else.

The fact is the Pats signed Amendola, Donald Jones, Jenkins and Sanders to an offer sheet all before re-signing Edleman to an injury-proof non-guaranteed contract. On top of this, they drafted two WRs and their highest paid UDFA is a slot WR.

A roster lock he is not.

Though I agree, a healthy Edelman I like over Moe or Hawkins.

.but we need speed on the outside. Badly. Molasses Mike doesn't give us that.

Pats need guys on the outside. period. They need guys that are gonna catch the ball and not immediately drop to the ground with the nearest defender 2-3 yards away. While they need speed, they also need guys that are not going to continually get jammed on the line and can physically out muscle a DB.

Ideally you want a guy that can do both, but if Jenkins can be a threat on the outside by just being able to go up and get a ball and not fall down the second he sees someone in his peripheral vision.

But I mean we are getting ahead of ourselves training camp doesn't start for another two months.

I wish Jenkins well, but I don't see him as anything more than a #4 WR at best. As a matter of fact I am very bearish on the entire WR corp.

I wish Jenkins well, but I don't see him as anything more than a #4 WR at best. As a matter of fact I am very bearish on the entire WR corp.

Any suggestions on what would have been better choices?

From Nick Underhill in his notes late last night on all the Jenkins hype:

"A lot has been made of Michael Jenkins servings at the top wide receiver during Tuesday's organized team activity. And while that development should be noted, it's extremely dangerous to treat it as anything other than an observation.

It's simply way too early to start putting together a depth chart. We don't know what's going on in all the other sessions, and it's entirely possible that the receivers are taking turns as Tom Brady's top target.

Want evidence? Take a look through some of the stories written this time last year after Shane Vereen served as the lead back during the first open OTA. Many people assumed that he was ahead of Stevan Ridley on the depth chart based on that development. If you recall, Vereen didn't play more than 25 snaps in a regular season game."

New England Patriots notes: Brandon Bolden's injury, T.J. Moe scores big and more OTA impressions | masslive.com

Don't forget,
Percy Harvin: 9 games
Michael Jenkins: 16 games
Kyle Rudolph: TE

Don't forget Christian Ponder. On passing plays, his first read is Harvin and then a dump off to Rudolf or Peterson... That someone other than those 3 got 40+ receptions was a miracle..

Lets all hope Jenkins isn't starting for us. Not ragging on him, but we drafted 2 kids fairly high to come in and be difference makers. If Jenkins is starting, that means they are not ready, which is not good. The guy has zero speed, and that is something we badly need. If he is a reliable red zone target, I'm fine with that.

Good point I think the masses are forgeting that we need a stretch the field type to pair with Armendola. We don't need Tooter the Turtle...ie Mike Jenkins running routes on the outside or our situation would be worse than last year against Elite Defenses.

small correction...that's "Tooter Turtle"...

tooter_turtle_help_mr_wizard.jpg

speed is good but they need a WR with the size and physical presence to beat a DB into submission when they play press.

Molasses Mike ran a 4.4 once upon a time.

Don't forget,
Percy Harvin: 9 games
Michael Jenkins: 16 games
Kyle Rudolph: TE

Great point kinda like Bradon's Lloyd's 900 yards for us last year. Half of Lloyd's 900yds came in Two Games when he put up Big numbers. Unfortunately Two games don't make a Football season. That said Mike Jenkins have always been a average WR. A Average WR will not cut it for the N.E. Patriots and Tom Brady in 2013.

small correction...that's "Tooter Turtle"...

tooter_turtle_help_mr_wizard.jpg

Thanks Joker I use to love that cartoon, was it Bongo Congo or something like that?:D

From Mike Reiss' chat today:

"As for Jenkins vs. Dobson, here are some additional thoughts: Jenkins wouldn't project to special teams, so yes, that is part of why he could be working with Brady on one field (with Amendola) while the rest of the club is on the other field for special teams work. But to say that's the only reason, I don't think I'd go along with that either. More than anything, what I think it reflects is how far ahead veterans are from the rookies right now, and that's just the way it usually is. Rookies have a lot of ground to make up. That doesn't mean Dobson can't make it up, but if the season were starting today (always dangerous to think along those lines), I think it would be Jenkins-Amendola based on the snapshot we saw Tuesday."

Chat: Chat with Mike Reiss - SportsNation - ESPN Boston

From Mike Reiss' chat today:

"As for Jenkins vs. Dobson, here are some additional thoughts: Jenkins wouldn't project to special teams, so yes, that is part of why he could be working with Brady on one field (with Amendola) while the rest of the club is on the other field for special teams work. But to say that's the only reason, I don't think I'd go along with that either. More than anything, what I think it reflects is how far ahead veterans are from the rookies right now, and that's just the way it usually is. Rookies have a lot of ground to make up. That doesn't mean Dobson can't make it up, but if the season were starting today (always dangerous to think along those lines), I think it would be Jenkins-Amendola based on the snapshot we saw Tuesday."

Chat: Chat with Mike Reiss - SportsNation - ESPN Boston

Makes sense. Rookies have to learn everything, including how these activities are usually structured, what the pace is, etc. The veterans already have a sense for that. Meanwhile, Brady needs someone consistent to throw to so he can get his work in too.

Great point kinda like Bradon's Lloyd's 900 yards for us last year. Half of Lloyd's 900yds came in Two Games when he put up Big numbers. Unfortunately Two games don't make a Football season. That said Mike Jenkins have always been a average WR. A Average WR will not cut it for the N.E. Patriots and Tom Brady in 2013.

You can't have All Stars at every spot on the depth chart.

And for the record:

Average WR >>>>> Matt Slater

Who somehow was still finding himself on the field for multi-WR sets last year.

This guy? Standing out?

molasses-jpg.jpg

Welker, Branch, Troy, Givens, etc. were never exactly speedsters themselves.

No one's expecting him to be Moss, but if he can be Givens/Gaffney/etc. I'd be ecstatic. Solid #2. Really, in our offense, all we need are two quality #2 that can play on the perimeter. We don't need Calvin and Andre Johnson on the outside to have a historic offense. Not with #12.

You can't have All Stars at every spot on the depth chart.

And for the record:

Average WR >>>>> Matt Slater

Who somehow was still finding himself on the field for multi-WR sets last year.

Matt Slater does not have a roster spot because of his skills as a WR. It just so happens that, in addition to doing his real job, he can take the field as a WR if absolutely necessary.

FWIW, I still wonder why he never got more time as a safety. Seems like that would suit his skills very well. I'm sure there's a reason, just curious to know what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call