PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Jenkins Standing Out Early

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wes Welker, for starters.

Do you realize he cost this team a very good chance at a championship. If you want to see 01, 03,04 you better start going to how we won, and welker wasn't part of the equation.

6'4, runs good routes with decent hands and fights for the ball. Hmm what does that sound like, oh yeah a red zone threat. Something that based on the AFCCG against the Ravens the Pats need desperately. It always annoys me when I see people posting about how the ravens d could just clog the middle and completely shut down the predictable patriots offense. They fail to see the over 400 yards of offense and 6! trips to the red zone. If GRONK had been playing that is easily another 14 points but due to his injury there was no red zone threat. The Pats clearly had the weapons to move up and down the field all day long it was just the times they needed to punch it in that was the issue and without the greatest red zone threat in the NFL on that day they just couldn't do it. Which I put on the play calling as much as the injury. More running, less relying on Brady's pin point accuracy. Anyway getting back to Jenkins even if all he does is catch 30 passes but 8 of them are TD's I would be thrilled. This kind of tall possession outside receiver is something the offense has been missing for awhile.

6'4, runs good routes with decent hands and fights for the ball. Hmm what does that sound like, oh yeah a red zone threat. Something that based on the AFCCG against the Ravens the Pats need desperately. It always annoys me when I see people posting about how the ravens d could just clog the middle and completely shut down the predictable patriots offense. They fail to see the over 400 yards of offense and 6! trips to the red zone. If GRONK had been playing that is easily another 14 points but due to his injury there was no red zone threat. The Pats clearly had the weapons to move up and down the field all day long it was just the times they needed to punch it in that was the issue and without the greatest red zone threat in the NFL on that day they just couldn't do it. Which I put on the play calling as much as the injury. More running, less relying on Brady's pin point accuracy. Anyway getting back to Jenkins even if all he does is catch 30 passes but 8 of them are TD's I would be thrilled. This kind of tall possession outside receiver is something the offense has been missing for awhile.

I agree with it all, we have a lot of different weapons this year that are a need, and Michael Jenkin's attributes along with his veteran presence will help out tremendously. The days of shutting down our little guys are done lol.

Good point I think the masses are forgeting that we need a stretch the field type to pair with Armendola. We don't need Tooter the Turtle...ie Mike Jenkins running routes on the outside or our situation would be worse than last year against Elite Defenses.

Even playing an old Pro like Jenkins at the outside WR position, I question whether it would be worse, merely equal or even slightly better, then last season. Not that I expect that to occur. Jenkins has no speed anymore, but he does have size, and apparently knowhow, since he always gets 40-50 balls, year in, year out.

Is that better than Mr. "sometimes jump & catch", and than "all fall down"? :confused:

More realistically Jenkins will likely be a backup outside. Is he worse, merely equal, or better than aged Dion Branch was last season? :confused:

Welker, Branch, Troy, Givens, etc. were never exactly speedsters themselves.

No one's expecting him to be Moss, but if he can be Givens/Gaffney/etc. I'd be ecstatic. Solid #2. Really, in our offense, all we need are two quality #2 that can play on the perimeter. We don't need Calvin and Andre Johnson on the outside to have a historic offense. Not with #12.

:agree:

10 chars

Good point I think the masses are forgeting that we need a stretch the field type to pair with Armendola. We don't need Tooter the Turtle...ie Mike Jenkins running routes on the outside or our situation would be worse than last year against Elite Defenses.

I disagree. As someone in this thread already pointed out, we need "OUTSIDE" threats to keep the defense honest from just flooding the middle of the field where the tight ends and slot WR's do their work. A guy who can use his strength to beat press coverage....not necessarily a speedy "stretch the field type", is what we really need. If Jenkins is that guy opening week, he will have earned it. But again, it's only OTA's. We're getting way ahead of ourselves.

I agree.

However, the open question is whether we have "two quality #2" WR's? or one? or none?

Really, in our offense, all we need are two quality #2 that can play on the perimeter. We don't need Calvin and Andre Johnson on the outside to have a historic offense. Not with #12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back